PDA

View Full Version : Justice is Served for Many WI Athletes

King James
01-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Finally, after years of feeling left out and out of place the WI Supreme Court has declared........

Cheerleading is a contact sport!

:confused:

D_A
01-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Finally, after years of feeling left out and out of place the WI Supreme Court has declared........

Cheerleading is a contact sport!

:confused:

Does that mean they have to wear pads and helmets now?

replicant_argent
01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Does that mean they have to wear pads and helmets now?

I don't think so. Due to the "corn fed" nature of the preponderance of your average Cheese Curd Rah Rah'er, you can be assured that they are adequately padded.

;)

I think that is a cue of some type, Jim.
I assume Jim has some pics he can share.

RGD.
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I assume Jim has some pics he can share.

Don't think there is on this subject - some cheerleader didn't get caught on the routine and was suing the school and guy cheerleader for not catching her. Court said it's a contact sport so she can't.

Ron

taltos
01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I just wonder if the sport of gymnastics is also considered a contact sport. From some of the cheer leader routines that I have seen in college competitions, not much problem calling it a contact sport.

tobii3
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
what next, the chess club is a contact sport because the pieces are in contact with a chess board????

Cheerleaders.....are you friggin kidding me??

Emjaysmash
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Does this mean mud wrestling is a new cheering event??

I WANT FRONT ROW SEATS!

Ace$nyper
01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
So I can cop a feel on cheer leaders?

SWEET!

DrDubzz
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
So I can cop a feel on cheer leaders?

SWEET!

that's how I understand the ruling

Jay Hemingway
01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
"cheerleading accounts for 2/3 of catastrophic injuries to female athletes, double all 10 other sports combined"......National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research Center
"We are talking about paralysis, TBI, death, broken necks; not twisted ankles or even ACLs"

i have heard alot of things aboot people getting banged up from cheering.

tobii3
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
and do you know WHY??

Because they are attention whores.

""Okay...I want you to throw me up in the air so everyone can stare at me because I am an attention whore....now, there are no safety measures, or padding on the concrete, but who cares?? I will be the center of attention!!!""

THUD!!!!!!

:r

King James
01-29-2009, 10:08 AM
if a contact sport....should be required to wear padding and helmets and what not :2

don't think they would like that very much....be careful what you wish for.

People get hurt bowling too, but that isn't a contact sport.

Beer Doctor
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
and do you know WHY??

Because they are attention whores.

""Okay...I want you to throw me up in the air so everyone can stare at me because I am an attention whore....now, there are no safety measures, or padding on the concrete, but who cares?? I will be the center of attention!!!""

THUD!!!!!!

:r

Tell us how you really feel:r

Beer Doctor
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
This ruling was handed down to protect an inexperienced 16 year old cheerleader and a school (district?) from being sued by a cheerleader that had a nasty fall a few years back. In WI, you can't sue an opposing player if you were injured playing a contact sport (e.g. hockey, football). Thus, categorizing cheerleading as a contact sport protects the teammates (other cheerleaders) and the schools from being sued.

tobii3
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
...an inexperienced 16 year old...

see my post re:
...there are no safety measures, or padding on the concrete, but who cares?? I will be the center of attention!!!

Suing an opposing player??

So you throw your cheerleaders into the opposing teams cheerleaders??

Now THAT could be interesting.......

Beer Doctor
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Suing an opposing player??

or in this case your own teammate. I'm sure the law has some terminology that protects athletes from suing their own teammates too.

The whole purpose of this was to protect student athletes and schools from unjust lawsuits. Regardless if you think cheerleading is stupid.

tobii3
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Funny thing is, whenever you join a school team, you SIGN a waiver, as well as the REQUIREMENT to get a physical BEFORE even attending the first practice.....

So, who's at fault for not doing that??

I remember signing the waiver with my parents to play basketball for Prunedale School back in 5th grade!!! Not to mention Little League, Pop Warner Football, AYSO....er...back on topic...

I had to sign a waiver EVERY school year for Wrestling, Basketball and Football back in High School. WTF has happened???

Beer Doctor
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Funny thing is, whenever you join a school team, you SIGN a waiver, as well as the REQUIREMENT to get a physical BEFORE even attending the first practice.....

So, who's at fault for not doing that??

I remember signing the waiver with my parents to play basketball for Prunedale School back in 5th grade!!! Not to mention Little League, Pop Warner Football, AYSO....er...back on topic...

I had to sign a waiver EVERY school year for Wrestling, Basketball and Football back in High School. WTF has happened???

We have to do that here too. I tore my LCL in a hockey practice when I collided with another person on my team. It never occurred to me or my family to sue the other player or the school. Sadly some people think that accidents, regardless of how tragic, require legal action.

tobii3
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Why not do it Texas style??

Wanda Holloway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Holloway)

:rolleyes:

Genetic Defect
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Why not do it Texas style??

gay?

white_s2k
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
gay?

OH SNAP :fl

Genetic Defect
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
OH SNAP :fl

:lv my cat walked on the keyboard

white_s2k
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
:lv my cat walked on the keyboard

:r :r

tobii3
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
since y'all MISSED the link -

Wanda Holloway is a woman from Texas, known for hiring a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival.

THAT kinda Texas Style.

:hn

Genetic Defect
01-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Wanda Holloway is a woman from Texas, known for hiring a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival.

THAT kinda Texas Style.

that fits in the retarded bin

M1903A1
01-29-2009, 04:48 PM

THAT kinda Texas Style.

Everybody knows the best way to deal with competition is to eliminate it...right? :rolleyes:

BTW...your description of the cheerleader type is spot on. :D