PDA

View Full Version : Blind Pipe Tobacco Review!!

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I need 3 members to sign up to smoke 2 different VA based blends. I don't want you to guess what blends they are, just review them on tastes and which ones you prefer.

edit: you have to do the reviews. it's for science, the betterment of your fellow pipe smoking man. don't do it for a few free bowls of tobacco. old/new smokers, don't matter to me, as long as it's done.

DrDubzz
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
I will participate, I happen to be a fan of VA blends

Killjoy
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Sounds like fun to me...I love to smoke pipes!

Nick
01-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I would but I already know the blends. :hn

DrDubzz
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I would but I already know the blends. :hn

I saw which ones are involved, but I don't "know" either of them

I wouldn't be able to distinguish them or have any preconceived notions

Nick
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Then you are square, I'm afraid I would taint the results.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Then you are square, I'm afraid I would taint the results.

you said "taint". ;)

i'll leave it up to you, nick. you want in or not. if so, do you have both blends on hand?

1. RX2010
2. Killjoy
3. Nick (maybe)

i'll need everyones addy via PM.

Nick
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
it wouldn't actually be a blind review if i have both blends. :hm

If no one else wants to do it then i will, it has been awhile since I have had HOTW anyway.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 06:24 PM
well, if nobody else jumps in on this, then you can have the 3rd spot.

Nick
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
YAY, :dance:

Killjoy
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
pm sent w addy

Curly Cut
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
nick, if nobody else jumps in on this by this afternoon, you're #3.
do you need any of the tobacs?

Nick
01-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I have old Gowrie that is getting some age. If you want it to be a truly blind review you can send me a sample. I don't have HOTW though

Curly Cut
01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
sound good. you're the 3rd as well, nobody else replied. i'll need your address in PM, then i'll work on the samples to send out.

edit: got the PM'd addresses. will PM you all back when i ship. they should be labeled with only an A or B on the baggie. when it's over, i'll tell you which is which. don't want to know if you can figure out which one is which, this is simply a review, not a challenge.

uncballzer
01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Ahh, missed it by a day. Look forward to reading the reviews! Took part of one of these before, and it's fun trying to figure out what you taste and what you think is there, especially if you didn't know what type of tobac it was; especially if you don't know how strong it is; first few puffs of the tobac I reviewed threw me to my knees!

Curly Cut
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
i remember that one, richard.

----

everyone, samples were shipped today 1st class mail, no DC #s though. should be enough for 2-4 bowls of each, depending on size of pipe you use.

i won't post any formula to follow for reviewing, i just want to hear your impressions, please post them IN THIS THREAD for blend A and blend B. i don't care which order you smoke them in or review them. it's all up to you.

Nick
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm not use to all of this freedom. It's like moving from China to Norway. :dance:

DrDubzz
01-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I'll keep an eye out, I should have some time to smoke next week for sure

Killjoy
01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
wicked cool!!!!

Nick
01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Got the samples today, I'm going to smoke the first bag tonight. Thanks Greg

Nick
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Smoked nearly the entire sample of this blend today as I am breaking in the heal of my new Savinelli bent pot. I smoked this blend in half bowl increments throughout the day and the most fascinating thing about this blend was how consistent it was. Going through about 5-6 half bowls today it never once gurgled or became damp. The taste was also very consistent and fulfilling. This blend burned to a fine ash every time (all of this very impressive in a brand new pipe) with out nary a hiccup.

Smelled sweet and tasty in the bag but I know I'm not trying to eat it so I lit it up. From the beginning I find this to be a very satisfying straight sweet Virginia with a little bit of edginess usually found in Perique. I'm usually not a huge straight Virginia smoker but of all the ones I have had this is the most complex and interesting. The sweetness smelled in the bag translates to a nice sweetness in the pipe and it performed very well as an all day smoke. This is the first time I have smoked one blend this much in one day and it did not disappoint one bit. I think this must be Old Gowrie as this is how I remember it but please greg don't tell me until I smoke the other sample I don't want to taint the review.

Overall 8.5/10

Thanks Greg

P.S. Gonna have to give this pipe a few days rest before I do the second review.

Curly Cut
02-01-2009, 10:38 AM
nick, was that the A or B blend you smoked?

Nick
02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry should have mentioned that was A.

Killjoy
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I smoked the A blend yesterday afternoon (pre super bowl). I noticed a real heavy sweetness in it as well. I also picked up some vanilla too. My friend smoked some too and he noticed the sweet notes too. I have no freaking clue of what it could be. the smoke was real interesting, I thought it was fairly mild and sweet. I would definately smoke this one again. I am going to try the B tonight and then make a better judgement out of which of the two is better.

Curly Cut
02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
thx.
i had blend B today on the drive in to work.
nice solid smoke. i won't go into any review of it.

just trying to see if others taste the same things i do and see the differences between these two blends.
i should've done this with old Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.

BigFrank
02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
thx.
i had blend B today on the drive in to work.
nice solid smoke. i won't go into any review of it.

just trying to see if others taste the same things i do and see the differences between these two blends.
i should've done this with old Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.
blind review #2?

Curly Cut
02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
don't have anymore of the dunhill stuff, i don't think.

Benwoo
02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Where's the updates? :D I'm intrigued!

DrDubzz
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm gonna try each out after I eat some lunch

Nick
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Blend B

Smells close to the same as Blend A in the bag. Colors texture moisture is all the same as blend B. First thing I notice is that this blend seems to have a little bit more edge to it than bend A. I thought the first blend has some nice peppery flavor and aroma but this stuff has a bit more I think. Sweetness is there and the roundness of flavors is also there, I find it a tad boring like the other blend and can't really decide if I like one better than the other. I am a bit stumped however and can't decided which is which, I am beginning to think that this is old gowrie.

Curly Cut
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
well, nick, tough call, you think both are Old Gowrie??

did you finish both blends already?

Nick
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I finished them, I can't freaking figure out which one is which.

Curly Cut
02-05-2009, 08:26 PM
that wasn't the point though. what did you like/dislike about both? ;)

Nick
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Blend A burned a little bit better which I liked but seemed milder and more boring which I didn't like so much. Blend B didn't burn quite as well but still didn't give much trouble and it seemed to have a little more "guts."

DrDubzz
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I lied about smoking, there aren't enough hours in the day sometimes

I'll try again saturday

Curly Cut
02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Blend A burned a little bit better which I liked but seemed milder and more boring which I didn't like so much. Blend B didn't burn quite as well but still didn't give much trouble and it seemed to have a little more "guts."
i like your first description (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=207806&postcount=21) of blend A better. ;)

Killjoy
02-06-2009, 08:17 AM
I smoked Blend B yesterday, the Big difference I noticed was all th sweetness from Blend A was gone, and it was a heavier smoke. I think I liked Blend A better.

DrDubzz
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
ok, I"m headed out right now to go smoke them

details at a later time

DrDubzz
02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
A: sweet virginia, but not unnaturally sweet.

B: virginia, not as much sweetness, fuller body, more smoke

B was more enjoyable to smoke... but I liked the taste of A better if I had to pick

Curly Cut
02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Blend A = Hal O' th Wynd
Blend B = Old Gowrie

thanks for playing.

Nick
02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Hal o' was better than I remember it being but still like old gowrie a bit better. Thanks for doing this greg.

Curly Cut
02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
it helped me, too. i don't think i'll ever get the two mixed up again.

Curly Cut
09-24-2009, 05:46 PM
some sneaky sombiatch stuffed an old tin of Old Gowrie into my truck before i dropped them off at the airport.
now i'm sitting here smoking it, trying to remember if i ever thought it was this good.

it started off extremely sweet and tangy, almost to the point of bitingly tangy (if those are words). so good, i had to come here and re-read this blind review.