PDA

View Full Version : Interview Tips

gettysburgfreak
01-26-2009, 07:49 AM
My interview for a marketing director at a winery is this afternoon. Do you guys have an last minute interview tips that would be beneficial besides wearing a suit and looking nice? Thanks!

rack04
01-26-2009, 07:52 AM
My interview for a marketing director at a winery is this afternoon. Do you guys have an last minute interview tips that would be beneficial besides wearing a suit and looking nice? Thanks!

I know this is easier said than done but just be confident in yourself. You know your skills better than anyone. Be sure to dress well. First impressions are lasting impressions. Good luck.

darb85
01-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Listen to the whole question, take a second to gather your thoughts, then answer.

dont seem to eager but be intrested.

Try not to ramble.

Shake the persons hand firmly and look them in the eye when they are speaking.

Thats all i can think of for now. Good luck!

Mugen910
01-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Firm hand shake.
Keep eye contact.
No coins or keys in your pocket to reduce rattling distractions.
Keep hands outta pockets.
Go in there with the confidence that you deserve this job. (Not cocky though)
3 copies of your resume on hand
Bring a note pad with questions to ask the interviewer.
Smile.
Just relax and keep in mind they put on their pants one leg at a time too. :tu

Best of luck buddy.

dunng
01-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Just relax and keep in mind they put on their pants one leg at a time too. :tu

Speak for yourself... :D

Good Luck! :tu

Blueface
01-26-2009, 08:00 AM
When I conducted massive amounts of interviews, I looked for this in the applicants:

Look the interviewer in the eye while you do a firm handshake and repeat his name in your greeting.
e.g. "Pleasure to meet with you Mr. ".......".

That is the very first impression you will make and you will appear confident.

Listen to the questions and answer them. Don't dance.
Best if you can answer the questions giving one specific example of when that took place and how you were able to handle it. Name the situation, your action and the outcome as result of your action. Shows you are qualified.

Be prepared to ask pertinent questions of the interviewer that will show you have researched the company and the position and are further inquisitive.

End with confidence. State you look forward to coming on board (if final interview) or you look forward to receiving a call for a follow up interview.

md4958
01-26-2009, 08:06 AM
make sure your fly is up.
oh, and good luck! :tu

oh, and be plesant the the receptionist or whomever you first encounter. When I hold interviews, I ALWAYS ask if they were polite to my staff. If not, then they dont get the job. Its EASY to be polite to the boss, but your behavior towards the "little people" shows what youre really all about

Mugen910
01-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Oh yeah...Get the business cards/names of everyone you interview with today!!! After the interview is over go to CVS, buy some "Thank You" cards and write a personal but short "thank you" to each person and mail it that same day. Be sure to include something they said during the interview to let them know you were paying attention to detail. :tu

Footbag
01-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Ask the questioner questions that are pertinent to his daily job. If you use jargon that he's used to, he will immediately take you more seriously and open up to you. Now this sounds stupid, but the more you can get the the interviewer to talk, the better chance you have to get the job. Whether or not you are a better candidate, a richer conversation will stand out in the interviewers mind.

Study the winery's website, history, marketing, etc... Refer to it in your interview.

As a marketer your job is to present their vision to the customers. You want to make sure that you know the image they want to project and not only understand it but are excited about it. Refer to a specific piece of marketing material, and ask speculative questions on it. (Who are you targeting, Where, How, etc...)

I interview a lot of people, and most of these things work on me.

replicant_argent
01-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Fresh breath also goes a long way. Sounds petty, insignificant, and odd, but you never want someones first impression of you when you shake their hand to be "What is that stench?" Quite a bit can affect our oral hygiene in a short amount of time.

then celebrate a good interview with a big fat stinky stogie.:ss:tu

mosesbotbol
01-26-2009, 08:34 AM
1. Reply with the interviewer's name several times.
2. Wear a conservative suit and polished shoes
3. Have pre-canned answers for the tough interview questions like "What are your faults, how did you handle a certain situation, etc..."
4. Be able to explain any employment gaps or oddities on your Resume
5. Have questions and know about the company your interviewing.
6. Look relaxed

Remember, you are interviewing them as well, so don't be like an Uncle Tom and just say yes to everything and sound desperate... This may not be an opportunity you wish to move forward on, but be interested and engaged.

Most importantly, if you like the job ask for the job directly at the end!

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
dont be late!!!! Show up early, even if you have to sit in your car 10 min. in the parking lot!

gettysburgfreak
01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
thanks for the great info as always guys

FEAR
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
DO NOT DO THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHqtijd65VY

Good luck. These are hard times amongst us.:tu

landhoney
01-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Be prepared to ask pertinent questions of the interviewer that will show you have researched the company and the position and are further inquisitive.

^^^^This is vital.

I'll add something I remember Tony Robbins saying, I''ll paraphrase: assume the same posture/attitude/way of speaking/etc. as the interviewer. This subconsciously makes the interviewer feel you are like them, people usually think they are pretty cool. They are then more comfortable, like you, etc. I don't this should be taken to the extreme(mocking), but it has always made sense to me.

markem
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Takes notes. Be sure to either write down everyone's name or get a card. Be sure to answer directly and not ramble or reach for an answer. Odds are good that you will be asked some questions that you do not know the answer to. Be up front about it, but also use it as a segue to ask how they think that the problem would be solved ... be sure to come across as a team player who actively seeks advice but accepts responsibility for the decisions you make.

Mikey202
01-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Be yourself.

Sailchaser
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I also have an interview on Tuesday and the biggest tip I got from someone inside the company is not to brag or tell them that I know everything; even though I do:r

Good luck with your new Job:tu:tu

hotreds
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Relax!

MedicCook
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Hope the interview goes well. I am horrible at interviews so I really can't give any tips.

gettysburgfreak
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
thanks for the tips, interview went really well but I decided I am not going take the job as I just didn't have that feeling that it was something I wanted to do every day. Back to the drawing board.

MedicCook
01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Even though you did not take the job just going through the process and the interview offers you great experience the next time you go out.