PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Registry 2.0 and other Inventory Tools

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Ok so I installed this and populated it with my Cigar inventory but I am not sure it is really what I want. Doesn't seem quite right. It is a good little tool don't get me wrong.

What are you using if anything to keep track.

Do you have a good Excel model (the ones I have found on the Interweb suck)

I am sure this topic has been pounded to death but before I embark on building something to suit more what I want I am curious to look at what else might be out there.

dunng
01-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I used CR for a bit but then gave up... too much effort! :ss

skullnrose
01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree to much effort. I use the look see system now.

Rabidsquirrel
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I was going to use a spreadsheet but I realized I like to open the humidors and be surprised a lot more, and it's less work.

s15driftking
01-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I was going to use a spreadsheet but I realized I like to open the humidors and be surprised a lot more,

Theres nothing like digging through your humi and finding a stick that makes you smile because you didn't think you had it prior.

MikeyC
01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I used Cigar Briefcase for a while and then CR 2.0. The problem was after a while my inventory became innaccurate. So, I stopped using both.

Kreth
01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I've played around a little bit with CR. It seems like a big omission to me that they don't have any RP in the database. It's a bit of overkill for me at this point, anyway. I'm still mostly at the sampler stage, so I really just need a way to keep track of what I tried, which were good, and which were dog rockets.

MikeyC
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I've played around a little bit with CR. It seems like a big omission to me that they don't have any RP in the database. It's a bit of overkill for me at this point, anyway. I'm still mostly at the sampler stage, so I really just need a way to keep track of what I tried, which were good, and which were dog rockets.

One of my biggest complaints was that the database of these programs wasn't large enough. It makes the initial maintenance and adding of future cigars a bear. Also, it would be nice if there was a better way to maintain outgoing inventory. I would have liked an icon that you would click that indicates that you smoked a cigar. Then a box could open for tasting notes, date, etc and the inventory of that cigar would go down by one.

Kreth
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I would have liked an icon that you would click that indicates that you smoked a cigar. Then a box could open for tasting notes, date, etc and the inventory of that cigar would go down by one.
Have you tried 2.0? It does have a feature like this...

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree to much effort. I use the look see system now.
The initial set up was the effort maintenance will be relatively simple
I was going to use a spreadsheet but I realized I like to open the humidors and be surprised a lot more, and it's less work.Theres nothing like digging through your humi and finding a stick that makes you smile because you didn't think you had it prior.

Not to be a complete ass but this has no relevance to my post or my request. I am not talking about managing the sticks in my humi from a tasting perspective. I have quite a few sticks and I am looking at knowing what is in there from an aging perspective, which boxes are in which humis.

The question was what you use to track if anything. That being a program a manual notebook system or a simple spreadsheet. I am looking for things to use not whether or not you think I should.

Sorry if this offends but I am not looking for 30 posts telling me to just have a look, in my case it isn't quite that simple.

I used Cigar Briefcase for a while and then CR 2.0. The problem was after a while my inventory became innaccurate. So, I stopped using both.

I can see this being an issue with CR 2.0 that is why I was hoping for something a little simpler like a spreadsheet model that has already been set up with a multi humi format and a way to easily capture ins and outs without reformatting the entire workbook

s15driftking
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Fox, i meant not to offend you with my post. I think its actually a great idea/tool and would consider it myself if i had the time to keep track. i like the idea. Sorry that i don't have anything more to add. i hope you find the answers you seek.

Again, i apologize for the off topic post.

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Fox, i meant not to offend you with my post. I think its actually a great idea/tool and would consider it myself if i had the time to keep track. i like the idea. Sorry that i don't have anything more to add. i hope you find the answers you seek.

Again, i apologize for the off topic post.

No need to apologize in hindsight reading my post was a little more ranting then I meant to. I do appreciate the apology but it isn't necessary. I might be a little more testy than usual.

I have a couple reasons to track them better and I am looking for a quick fix, the true answer is to be more diligent.

To all please disregard my prior post it comes across arrogant and condescending not at all my intent, honest I am not an elitist snob, my apologies.

:lv

MedicCook
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Shawn, I have found with all tracking tools that they will never give you exactly what you want and it is usually better in the long run just to mess around with Excel or Access and come up with your own custom version that fits your needs exactly.

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Shawn, I have found with all tracking tools that they will never give you exactly what you want and it is usually better in the long run just to mess around with Excel or Access and come up with your own custom version that fits your needs exactly.

Yup I am starting to think that is what I am going to have to do.

I will keep Cigar Registry going until I get what I want designed in Excel and then go from there.

MedicCook
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Yup I am starting to think that is what I am going to have to do.

I will keep Cigar Registry going until I get what I want designed in Excel and then go from there.

Do you have Access on your computer? I had no training in that program and self taught myself the basics and created a tracking database for one of my former jobs.

Agent11br
01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
subscribing!

ucla695
01-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I use a simple Excel spreadsheet. It's not the prettiest looking thing, but it's perfect for seeing what I have in my stash and when it'll be ready to smoke or when it's time buy more.

SixPackSunday
02-01-2009, 06:14 PM
fox, i keep a spreadsheet that i think you may want. email me at b.logan.brown AT gmail DOT com and i'll send it to you. it keeps track of the follwing things

brand
what line from that brand
general vitola
companies vitola
exact measurements
which humi it is in
where i got it (name of b&m, website, forum member)
quantity
date it was purchased (i dont care about the date i got it, just how old it is in general)
rating out of 100
notes field

SixPackSunday
02-01-2009, 06:22 PM
oh sorry, also includes a column for what kind of wrapper the cigar has...

and lastly... you can sort the spreadsheet by any of the options listed depending if youw ant to know just whats in each humi, looking for what you have from a brand, in a certain size/etc.

karmaz00
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
havent tried the system yet

Gargoyle
02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I used to track quantities in CR, but it was too frustration on many fronts.

- I spent too much time adding new cigars to the database. If the stuff you like is already there, you are fine. I liked Gurkhas and other brands that seemed to have a new cigar every week... so I was ALWAYS adding new cigars to the database. (this is probably more of a problem with NC's vs. CC's)

- Cigars flowing in and out became stressful because I had to make sure the count was accurate. When friends came over, I had to write down what they took so I could update the inventory counts... made me feel like a cheap a$$ miser.

- Cbid shipments should have been a time of joy, but it became inventory receipt data entry time. Talk about buzzkill.

- Inventory WILL get off. Then the counts become useless once you can't trust the data.

- Most importantly... It is much better to not track invenory and be surprised by a buried gem that you forgot about vs. KNOW that you have something you want in your humi "somewhere" and you can't find it.

SilverFox
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I used to track quantities in CR, but it was too frustration on many fronts.

- I spent too much time adding new cigars to the database. If the stuff you like is already there, you are fine. I liked Gurkhas and other brands that seemed to have a new cigar every week... so I was ALWAYS adding new cigars to the database. (this is probably more of a problem with NC's vs. CC's)

I am only tracking CC's so I don't find this to be a problem other than a few RE's or LE's now and again

- Cigars flowing in and out became stressful because I had to make sure the count was accurate. When friends came over, I had to write down what they took so I could update the inventory counts... made me feel like a cheap a$$ miser.Not hard again as incoming is mostly boxes other than the occasional trade pass or bomb

- Cbid shipments should have been a time of joy, but it became inventory receipt data entry time. Talk about buzzkill. I love adding boxes to my inventory

- Inventory WILL get off. Then the counts become useless once you can't trust the data.Naaaah I am way too anal retentive for it to be off, besides that is what test counts are for

- Most importantly... It is much better to not track invenory and be surprised by a buried gem that you forgot about vs. KNOW that you have something you want in your humi "somewhere" and you can't find it.I have no desire to be surprised, and I track them by humi or fridge or cooler so this is not an issue.

Again, this wasn't a request about the merits of tracking but about what tools are out there and if they are any good.

groogs
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I started to set up a spread sheet, but it became to much hassle. My collection isn't big enough that I forget what I have, it is just hard to find sometimes.

SixPackSunday
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
anybody who wants my spreadsheet just email me, or pm me your email and i'll send it. i have a couple hundred cigars stored in there from singles to boxes and this works great. i really love that i can sort by anything i want to look at. even msrp!

Gargoyle
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I have no desire to be surprised, and I track them by humi or fridge or cooler so this is not an issue.

Again, this wasn't a request about the merits of tracking but about what tools are out there and if they are any good.

np ;) I liked Excel the best in the end because I had the most control over how it worked... but CR was a 2nd choice.

Being anal is the #1 prerequisite to make it happen, though!

Something else to consider with the tracking. You could take things to an extreme (not that any of us do that around here) and get a small label printer & scanner so you can barcode the sticks. You can then just scan anything in & out just like a POS register... would make the actual data entry part go quicker.

Sadly, I do have a label printer... but I never implemented the tracking to that level.

SilverFox
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
np ;) I liked Excel the best in the end because I had the most control over how it worked... but CR was a 2nd choice.

Being anal is the #1 prerequisite to make it happen, though!

Something else to consider with the tracking. You could take things to an extreme (not that any of us do that around here) and get a small label printer & scanner so you can barcode the sticks. You can then just scan anything in & out just like a POS register... would make the actual data entry part go quicker.

Sadly, I do have a label printer... but I never implemented the tracking to that level.

Ok that would be almighty cool

Volt
02-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Fox, I use CR2.0 I like it and once I figured out the little quirks it works well for me. Maybe some band pics would be nice, but it works. For me it is about as simple as it get. right click after a smoke or pull, reduce the number. Drag to humi and drop to add. Even allows to mark where they come from (bombs).

So for me pretty easy to use. Regardless as to what you pick to do, there has to be some dedication to keep it true, other wise nothing is going to be accurate. I used to pull and say I'll edit later when the PC is on.... Not so good. What I did find that works well is a pad that sits on the coolador. I write down the 3 - 7 sticks, what ever I pull and the boxes they came out of and update the CR at the next update time. This works well and I'prolly 97% accuate, which is fine for me. Like I said, regardless as to what you pick, there has to be some disipline to the maintenace of any database.

As to what is in the stock cigar list, remember this comes from Hungrary or some country over in that area. They add what they can get and smoke. It starts with a decent NC base but does need to be built up. But adding sticks to the database is very easy. Use the sysnc button to stay current with theirs.

The software has "burn a stick" wich you can add your thoughts/review of that cigar. That's the one place I wish I would add more to but I suck as a reviewer. I am more a fan of Al's review system anyway.

I do label all my sticks with what I believe their "purchase date" to be and label all bomb ordinance with who hit me with that stick. Yell back if I can add more.

architeuthis
02-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I just take the cello off and place them in theSquid-A-Dor... They taste exactly the same as if I spend hours tinkering with inventory thingies... <G>