PDA

View Full Version : Holy influx of members - Awesome

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Is it me or have we seen a large influx of new members in the past week or so.

I am sure that there are many more new posts in the intro section than normal of late.

Given that new membership is the lifeblood of any forum (in my opinion) I think this is awesome.

Is there any stats out there on member number increase rates?

Just wondering.

bvilchez
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Now that you mention I have seen the influx.

I wonder why................????????????

Don Fernando
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I wonder why................????????????

the jungle flooded.

It's a good thing the group of 11 decided to build the asylum, gorilla's don't swim very well.

Genetic Defect
01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
My test tickles itch

chippewastud79
01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Kind of amazing considering the censorship and the ability to try to invite people to the new site. :bh

Good news for Jon is that he can create as many "unique users" as he wants everyday. It is astonishing how many "new members" have an introduction thread and less than 10 posts. :hm

bvilchez
01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
the jungle flooded.

It's a good thing the group of 11 decided to build the asylum, gorilla's don't swim very well.

I was being sarcastic....but I guess it'll answer the question for those that REALLY didn't know.:ss

Da Klugs
01-25-2009, 10:29 AM
There are always ebbs and flows of folks joining. That ad space we placed on Toms uniform seems to be really paying off. :D

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6155/hogsupportif8.jpg

replicant_argent
01-25-2009, 10:32 AM
There are always ebbs and flows of folks joining. That ad space we placed on Toms uniform seems to be really paying off. :D

Gosh... I thought that ad would be.....

Bigger.

BigBruce
01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Yea I think untill the puff stuff settles out we will see a larger rate of new inmates. :D Unless we decide to censor puff :r

Ace$nyper
01-25-2009, 02:34 PM
When ever a forum shakes it self up people jump ship.

hopefully people joining will look around and see how much fun this place is :)

GTsetGO
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM

this place is fun ;)

MedicCook
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM

The key is retaining. I think the stat is that 75% of people who join a messageboard never become a regular visitor. Getting people to join is the easy part. Retaining then as active members is the hard part. The best way to do that here is to keep the laid back easy going be good to your fellow BTOL/SOTL.

Da Klugs
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
this place is fun ;)

I think it's our cool ad campaign. :D

Footbag
01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
1435 Inmates @ Jan 13th
1559 Inmates @ Jan 25th

2 weeks, 124 new Inmates. Not bad!

FEAR
01-25-2009, 03:31 PM
PUFF just went on a rampage a little bit ago today closing all threads that spoke out against puff. I guess you can speak freely there as long as you agree with there agenda. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned we have a new home. Now only if Louie would show.

Savor the Stick
01-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Louie is alive and well here in spirit.

As for the actual gorilla he has been sighted cleaning out his locker at that fluff place. I have it on good authority he went back to his jungle for a long retirement.:salute: Here's to you ya big fur ball. :chr

It's good to see the community growing here. Just need to encourage the new members to get involved in some trades (NST) and stuff.:tu

tenbaseg
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
How come every time I type p u f f, it come out ****?

Anyone listening to the new CD from Soul ****? :ss

Da Klugs
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Puff... joker

Smokin Gator
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Anyone listening to the new CD from Soul ****? :ss

When Tom posted that I actually had to go back for the first time in over a week just see if he was pulling my leg!! I can't believe it has sunk to that. All I can say is... Whatever!!! I hung my hat here a while ago:):)

SilverFox
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
I haven't been around there in a month or so, no need.

What I do need is a bot to write welcome messages :r I am going to get carpal tunnel syndrome

TheJ
01-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I just found out about the site last night. I don't recall who made the post at the old CS that went:

c
i
g
a
r
a
s
y
l
u
m
......and so on.

Thanks all the same.

TideRoll
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Evidence of an experiment that appears to be falling flat on its face. You can't buy a community, on-line or otherwise.

It was a fine place once, and dropping by from time to time it struck me as kind of like going back to your grandmothers house years after she died. Until the switch, anyway, there was at least something familiar about the place that reminded you of the comfort you once found there. After the new UI and the rest of it... Nothing left but browser favorite that is misnamed.

CigarDood
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
The recent influx could have something to do with the fact that CA is now the fourth result for the google search "cigar forum."

FEAR
01-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I just found out about the site last night. I don't recall who made the post at the old CS that went:

c
i
g
a
r
a
s
y
l
u
m
......and so on.

Thanks all the same.

I started that thread and three sheets replied. You must of been quick because it was deleted about 5min. later.

GWN
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Popped in at the old place today for the first time in awhile. Had to make a quick comment about the recent goings on and was promptly told by the new guy to take a hike ... literally.
Once again, I thank the 11 for building us a new home!

Scottw
01-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I haven't been around there in a month or so, no need.

What I do need is a bot to write welcome messages :r I am going to get carpal tunnel syndrome

You think that's the only reason you have carpal tunnel?:r

Da Klugs
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Evidence of an experiment that appears to be falling flat on its face. You can't buy a community, on-line or otherwise.

It was a fine place once, and dropping by from time to time it struck me as kind of like going back to your grandmothers house years after she died. Until the switch, anyway, there was at least something familiar about the place that reminded you of the comfort you once found there. After the new UI and the rest of it... Nothing left but browser favorite that is misnamed.

The recent influx could have something to do with the fact that CA is now the fourth result for the google search "cigar forum."

Combination of lots of things. Heartwarming and .. well I still think it's the Icehog3 ads we "placed". (see previous post)

RE PUff: In reality, it's a good idea that will work. An intersection place for NC cigar manufacturers and NC cigar smokers (many newer ones) to meet and explore the hobby with lots of bells and whistles. Definitely a step up from what I used.. Cigarsinternational.com yielding a better experience and more value to someone stating out and beyond. That the plan didn't reconcile with the past for some doesn't make it a bad one. It works well for the community envisioned in the future and have no doubt it will attract many for what it is and will become. Time to unpack the baggage and settle in wherever. Focus on the positives of "what is" and celebrate our commonalities as cigar smokers and fellow members of the overall cigar community.

No1der
01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I am just going around and posting my b& notice from puff because it's that funny. :r

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

Cheers,
Rob

TheJ
01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
I started that thread and three sheets replied. You must of been quick because it was deleted about 5min. later.

I guess it was great timing.

architeuthis
01-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I heard the buzz, so thought I'd look into it. Pretty nice place. <G>

No1der
01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Just remember fellow Gorillas and BOTL's. They may take your RG but they'll never take your freeeeedoooooommmmmm!!!!!!

icehog3
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM

Gosh... I thought that ad would be.....

Bigger.

That just covers the right one, Pete. ;)

Nothing is too outlandish to bring LOTLs to the Asylum! :D

TideRoll
01-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Combination of lots of things. Heartwarming and .. well I still think it's the Icehog3 ads we "placed". (see previous post)

RE PUff: In reality, it's a good idea that will work. An intersection place for NC cigar manufacturers and NC cigar smokers (many newer ones) to meet and explore the hobby with lots of bells and whistles. Definitely a step up from what I used.. Cigarsinternational.com yielding a better experience and more value to someone stating out and beyond. That the plan didn't reconcile with the past for some doesn't make it a bad one. It works well for the community envisioned in the future and have no doubt it will attract many for what it is and will become. Time to unpack the baggage and settle in wherever. Focus on the positives of "what is" and celebrate our commonalities as cigar smokers and fellow members of the overall cigar community.

As I understand it, that guy did manage to pull similar things off in the past in different arenas. I probably would have been more accurate if I had said given the culture at CS when he got involved, well, it probably wasn't going to be compatible with a significant percentage of that community. Of course, that's a pretty easy bit of hindsight.

As far as things getting snippy over there about references to CS or the transition or whatever, I guess I can understand why they would like to move forward but I'd have to say that permanently banning folks seems a bit counter-productive. I haven't followed those threads specifically, but I haven't seen any similar animosity on the part of you guys (the eleven) towards them. Quite the contrary.

That it is an idea that could work and might work yet seems reasonable to me. There's always room for a good idea and as a committed capitalist I don't hold the profit motive in disesteem at all. I am happy that everybody's favorite OG (Old Gorilla) was able to make a few bucks off of his long-time investment of time, money and effort. An additive approach would have perhaps worked better than the acquisitive/consolidating one, but it would have required a lot more time in the scene for Jon, and maybe it was a higher risk. I don't know...

At any rate, I'm happy some great BOTLs have given me a couple of new places to unpack my humidors. I'll probably check into the puff thing every now and then to see what it turns into, but it doesn't seem to be my thing right now.