PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a TOM

Nick
01-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I facilitate a tobacco of the month review on another forum, I like it and I think others enjoy doing it. I want to gauge the interest here and if there's enough people who want to do it then I will get it going.

About a week before the first of each month I will pick a blend that has not already been reviewed on this forum and post it so if you don't have it you can acquire some if you would like before the month starts. You can post you're review anytime after the thread is posted, even after the month has ended. The point is to get more blends up here for reviews.

I will also hold polls once in a while where you can vote on three or four blends that you want to try, after a week whichever blend has the most votes will be the blend up for review the next month (tie breaker is up to me).

If you are in favor then post here, also you can post any thoughts about it. In a couple days if there is enough interest I'll post one up for February.

Cheers :pi

Mister Moo
01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I facilitate a tobacco of the month review on another forum, I like it and I think others enjoy doing it. I want to gauge the interest here and if there's enough people who want to do it then I will get it going.

About a week before the first of each month I will pick a blend that has not already been reviewed on this forum and post it so if you don't have it you can acquire some if you would like before the month starts. You can post you're review anytime after the thread is posted, even after the month has ended. The point is to get more blends up here for reviews.

I will also hold polls once in a while where you can vote on three or four blends that you want to try, after a week whichever blend has the most votes will be the blend up for review the next month (tie breaker is up to me).

If you are in favor then post here, also you can post any thoughts about it. In a couple days if there is enough interest I'll post one up for February.

Cheers :piGo.

Harvey
01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Sounds like another means by which relevant information can be shared in an effort to achieve the highest level of satisfaction with our next potential smoke. Reviews educate the consumer. Face it; not all cigars are as good as their marketing department depicts them to be.

Curly Cut
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Reviews educate the consumer. Face it; not all cigars are as good as their marketing department depicts them to be.
or pipe tobacoo. :r
---
Nick, maybe you could come up with a different name/acronym for it, something new and fresh for the new site?
edit: i do think a quick poll of 3-5 different styles of tobaccos would be nice. if it were me, and i was the only one picking tobaccos, it would be only VaPers and VAs. ;)

DrDubzz
01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
or pipe tobacoo. :r
---
Nick, maybe you could come up with a different name/acronym for it, something new and fresh for the new site?
edit: i do think a quick poll of 3-5 different styles of tobaccos would be nice. if it were me, and i was the only one picking tobaccos, it would be only VaPers and VAs. ;)

same here, with the occasional oriental

Nick
01-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I forgot to mention that I would make sure to mix it up pretty good month to month, ie one month it would be a VaPer and the next month would be something with turkish or oriental possibly.

Greg: If I did a poll it would include say a Va, a VaPer, an english, Oriental, and maybe a balkan, etc. And people would just end up choosing whatever tobacco they like anyway. That being said I think it is the fairest way to run the thing.

I'm open to suggestions for the name.

DrDubzz
01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
MTR?

Monthly Tobacco Review?

Nick
01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Lets do something prison themed.

Nick
01-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Monthly incarceration

Monthly interrogation

Curly Cut
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Monthly interrogation
:pi i like it.

and you're right, everyone would just vote in the polls for what they like.

Nick
01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
So do you trust me to be fair and to switch it up or should we try to poll it for every month.

Curly Cut
01-25-2009, 01:57 AM
i'd trust you, plus they're not mandatory. ;)

Nick
01-25-2009, 02:54 AM
You are right they aren't mandatory but the point is to get more action on this forum so I want to have reviews on blends that people would like and actually want to do. Maybe we could poll blends in a given "genre". Like have a poll of all VaPer's, then Balkans, then english's, then Straight Virginias.

What do you guys think

I'm leaning towards, Monthly Tobacco Interrogation.

BigFrank
01-25-2009, 08:04 AM
I would be more than game for this.

My suggestion would be , Monthly Tobacco Shakedown.

Nick
01-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Monthly tobacco shakedown, that's very good.

Nick
01-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking about Pease Key Largo for February. What do you guys think of that.

Curly Cut
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
roll with it. just keep doing it if you don't get a big turnout. back on the "other" board, even at the pipe forums height of activity, we would get about 8-12 reviews a month on a good month.

morefifemusic
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Sweet Nick,

I like it, Ill join in with you guys.

What about my ideas in this thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9246), specifically regarding baccy being provided by participants for review?

This may facilitate the process for others, particularly if you don't have a B&M with good stock or order online frequently.

For example, I would like to participate in this month, but I don't have Pease Key Largo. I would have to look online and buy a tin. Not a huge issue, but if I smoke a couple of bowls and don't like it, I am stuck with the rest of the tin.

If we do it semi-PIF style, then when the month you sign up for comes up, the baccy will be from your personal stock/something you are interested in ordering.

What are your thoughts?

Let me know if I can help facilitate things in any way.

Great idea and quite funny that I was thinking of something similar at the same time. :)

-Tyler

-Tyler

Nick
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I think that sounds great and you should take it over. I won't be able to sign up for a month though as I live month to month but if you can get it going then go for it. Also if you want to set up a separate one that would work too. Your would be more "membership" PIF format where this is optional month to month. Whatever you decide is fine with me.

Curly Cut
01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
sounds similar to what frankluke started over on IPC.

if someone picks the tobacco, then they could send out samples to those that volunteer to review. whoever does the best review (in the eyes of the sample provider) gets to choose the next month and they provide the tobacco. <-- something like that...

morefifemusic
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
sounds similar to what frankluke started over on IPC.

if someone picks the tobacco, then they could send out samples to those that volunteer to review. whoever does the best review (in the eyes of the sample provider) gets to choose the next month and they provide the tobacco. <-- something like that...

That's not a bad idea. Negates the need to get people to commit ahead of time. The ones that are motivated will provide decent reviews and are more likely to keep it alive the next month.

I just think picking a baccy that people who want to review may not have and may not want to purchase will limit participation.

I'll cook up some guidelines and get signups. I'll provide the first month and get things rolling. I'll start a new thread with the guidelines this weekend (don't want to steal Nick's thunder). Aim for mid-feb to get things kicked off.

-Tyler

Nick
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey man do what you want. If you want to take over the Tobacco Shake down; it's yours. If you want to start it up as a PIF type of thing that's cool too, you don't have to worry about me I wear steel toe boots.

morefifemusic
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
you don't have to worry about me I wear steel toe boots.

I do worry about that,

I may not be able to step on your toes, but you can kick me where it counts. ;)

Happy :pi.

-Tyler

Curly Cut
01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
what i posted was just an idea, wasn't well thought out. was just throwing it out there.

i'll help with reviewing when i can.

BigFrank
01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I plan on buying a tin of the Key Largo shortly. Might not be till early 2nd week Feb. I would be more than willing to send some samplers out if need be.

Nick
01-30-2009, 05:35 PM
That is a generous offer Frank. The thread will remain open even after february as well so people can keep discussing the blend down the road.

morefifemusic
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
See the new TOM Club here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=207224&posted=1#post207224

morefifemusic
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
I plan on buying a tin of the Key Largo shortly. Might not be till early 2nd week Feb. I would be more than willing to send some samplers out if need be.

PM Sent.