PDA

View Full Version : Tips on German Shepards?

darb85
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Im looking at buying an 11 week old German Shepard black and tan puppy. Has excellent blood lines, dad was a working dog(Police) and mom was a pet from a long line of working dogs though. AKC certified. Though im wondering if there is anything I should look for or shy away from.

Looking at buying a female if that makes a difference

Tombstone
01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
GS's are good dogs. I have never owned one but my father in law did. He said that it was the best dog he ever owned.

fissure
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Talk to Buzzman, he runs a kennel and has a few GS as his own pets.

dunng
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/funny-dog-pictures-this-dog-is-fast.jpg

Mugen910
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
GS's are good dogs.

:tpd:

I never owned one but my friend has one named Ronin...that boy is awesome!! He's a great family pet too.

bvilchez
01-22-2009, 10:28 PM
I have one at home...had him for years now. Biggest thing is traing that breed. He/she thinks you're playing when they're young but it takes ALOT of patience with GS's.

My dog loves to play but he knows when it means business.

Some guys one day approached my father-in-law pretty awkwardly...mind you he's a quadrapalegic. Gunther, my dog, was sitting next to him and when those guys came up they backed off once they heard him growl.

They are very protective if you show them from the beginning who is the alpha but at the same time show them love.

Hope this helps somewhat.

icehog3
01-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Great dogs, I have had 3....My current Shepherd, Ganz, will be 9 in May.

I looked for a breeder who had bred the dogs several generations back, with no "in-breeding". Also made sure that there was no hip dysplacia or cancer in the bloodlines.

As bvilchez stated, training is crucial. Shepherds are strong, smart dogs, but they need to know who is boss. I recommend a local German Shepherd club for training, as they take more time than a PetSmart type class offers.

They are wonderful, loving, loyal dogs, if you train and care for them properly, they are a great adddition to a family.

kayak_rat
01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Can't add much, but they are great dogs. Tom is right on training. They are fairly easy to train and extremely loyal.

Mr.Maduro
01-23-2009, 07:04 AM
I had one that was 135lbs, almost stood 6' on his hind legs and lived to about 9 1/2. We took him to obedience training and he was the best dog we ever had. Intimidating to look at, but a big mush at heart. They are very protective. Whenever I hugged my mother, Pal's jaw would be clamped around my arm. Not hard, but just enough to let me know....be careful, that's the lady who feeds me!

Pure-breeds are notorious for having hip problems as the get older. My parents moved from the 2nd floor to the first just for the dog. (No more stairs)

Pal's hips weren't too bad, there is some arthritis type pills you can get for them. Cancer on the other hand.... :(

darb85
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
No cancer in the lines going back 6 generations, and no hip displasia either.

Tombstone
01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Let's see pictures if you get the GS.

icehog3
01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
No cancer in the lines going back 6 generations, and no hip displasia either.

Good deal, Brad. :tu

Zoomschwortz
01-23-2009, 02:29 PM

I looked for a breeder who had bred the dogs several generations back, with no "in-breeding". Also made sure that there was no hip dysplacia or cancer in the bloodlines.

As bvilchez stated, training is crucial. Shepherds are strong, smart dogs, but they need to know who is boss. I recommend a local German Shepherd club for training, as they take more time than a PetSmart type class offers.

They are wonderful, loving, loyal dogs, if you train and care for them properly, they are a great adddition to a family.

Make sure there is no "in-breeding".

I have known people that have had great luck with them, but I also know two who had problems.

My former neighbor had one that touched their electric fence (they think) in the back yard, let out a yelp, ran to the front yard and attacked his wife.

My friend had a very large male that at times would go nuts and you couldn't turn your back on him. If you showed any fear, you were his. He came at me one day and thank God I yelled at him and went towards him instead of away from him. He backed down and never challenged me again.

He did bite a few people and my friend had to shoot him.

Both people paid a lot of money for their dogs and they were fine looking dogs. All we can think is there must have been some in-breeding to make them unbalanced.

darb85
01-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Make sure there is no "in-breeding".

I have known people that have had great luck with them, but I also know two who had problems.

My former neighbor had one that touched their electric fence (they think) in the back yard, let out a yelp, ran to the front yard and attacked his wife.

My friend had a very large male that at times would go nuts and you couldn't turn your back on him. If you showed any fear, you were his. He came at me one day and thank God I yelled at him and went towards him instead of away from him. He backed down and never challenged me again.

He did bite a few people and my friend had to shoot him.

Both people paid a lot of money for their dogs and they were fine looking dogs. All we can think is there must have been some in-breeding to make them unbalanced.

Inbreeding was the first thing i asked about, apperently thay take really good care to make sure this never happens. So that makes me happy. Well see still waiting on The girlfriend. Gonna take her to see the pup. She lives with me now so shes gotta be ok with it. Damn thing is so cute, if that fails, im reevaluating our status! :D

Is it bad luck to name the dog before i actually buy it?

Was driving to work thismorning and seemed like Kojack would be a good name...

darb85
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Kasha Loved her. Looks like ill be getting the dog, Just need to pass the home inspection from the place, not worried about it.

darb85
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2prfuhc.jpg

thats her!

icantbejon
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
That's a pretty pup. She's gonna be a good looking dog when she gets older. Great pick up. I love shepards. Looking to get one someday, but not till my current herd thins out a bit.

joetownhound
01-23-2009, 08:35 PM

The only thing that I could add to this is asking the question on what you plan on doing with her (family pet, protection, or competitions). Also would like to add is get one for a reputably breeder and not one from a backyard breeder. If you is close to a dog club you could often find someone there to asks question about temperaments and training.

icehog3
01-24-2009, 12:28 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2prfuhc.jpg

thats her!

Great looking puppy, Brad! :D

Swampper
01-24-2009, 02:41 AM
German Shepards are great dogs. Very smart. Plan to spend a LOT of time with him or her. Talk to them. They understand a great deal. My friends dog will get it's leash if you ask to to. Will bring you a ball or toy depending on what you ask it. Knows all of your friends by name, if they have spent any time around the dog, and can help a 12 yr. old with their math home work.

That pup looks great. You are in for a treat!

darb85
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
well the origonal pup fell through but I was guarnteed one from the next litter. I pick her up july 8th :D:tu

BeerAdvocate
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I have had three and loved them. The only advice I have is to spend alot of time with her. Training, playing, bonding.... They like to be busy.
I think German Shep. & Labs are the two best breeds of dogs out there, but I partail to German Shep.

GreekGodX
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Do German Shephard's shed a lot? I wouldn't mind the dog if it doesn't shed. My dog now is a Shichon, and it is perfect because the dog doesn't shed at all. A bigger dog would be cool but if they shed not cool.

icehog3
06-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Do German Shephard's shed a lot? I wouldn't mind the dog if it doesn't shed. My dog now is a Shichon, and it is perfect because the dog doesn't shed at all. A bigger dog would be cool but if they shed not cool.

Mine does in the Spring and Fall, when they get their coat for the new season. Tends to come out in "clumps" rather than single hairs, and can be managed with daily brushing.

RHNewfie
06-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Talk to Buzzman, he runs a kennel and has a few GS as his own pets.

He breeds them too I think.

RHNewfie
06-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Having just gone through the "getting a puppy" excitement that you are now I know where you are at!! That's a great looking dog!! As I sit here now with my new pup at my feet, enjoying a cigar, I know you'll be happy!! Don't let the initial struggles get you down! Train him well and you have a friend for life!

Steve
06-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Having just gone through the "getting a puppy" excitement that you are now I know where you are at!! That's a great looking dog!! As I sit here now with my new pup at my feet, enjoying a cigar, I know you'll be happy!! Don't let the initial struggles get you down! Train him well and you have a friend for life!

x2!

I don't have a GS (mine's a Boxer) but with any dog plan on spending LOTS of time and energy with it. Especially when it's young. The more time, the more"balanced" it will be. Our Boxer just turned a 14 months and the time and training is finally starting to pay off.

He loves to go out and hang on the deck while I smoke. Last night I thought he was gonna bring me my ashtray :ss.

pmwz
06-06-2009, 09:24 AM
we had a german shepard mix and it was a great dog. German shepards,malinous Rhodesian ridgeback are probably my favorite breeds.
Its pretty hard to correct their behaviour when they are older so train/socialize them when they are young. Get them used to all kinds of situations/noises. the selection of the puppy can be really important (if you want to train them as a protection dog...)