PDA

View Full Version : CAO love

Killjoy
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
(no this is not a new vitola )

I noticed in a few threads that CAO does not get a whole lot of love around these parts. I would have to agree with the Vision and the Sopranos (way over priced). As far as just plain bad (Cao gold Maduro and the Criollo) are definately exceptions to the rule. The Italia's are phenomenal. The Maduro (anniversary) are wonderful as well. almost every single one I have had has burned straight NEVER been plugged and always enjoyable. Thier packaging can be gaudy as all get up, but the cigars are good so who cares. Brazillias are nice, the blacks (when you can find them) are really good too. The America's even though they look goofy smoke like a champ and taste really good for what I like. ireally dont know what the band bias is for them.

FriskyDingo
01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I have to agree with you. CAO catches alot of flack sometimes. I really don't dislike CAO. They have quite a few cigars that I like. You already named a few of them.
I like the Sopranos and have a box only because of an auction price. I could never pay retail for those. I also enjoy their newest cigar, the LX2.

Maybe it's just the fact CAO is so big and the big guys always get picked on. They really push the limits in the cigar industry sometimes and they think WAAAY outside the box quite a bit, but they are marketing genuises.
Plus, like I said, I do enjoy many cigars by them, but none of them are exceptional. They seem to really produce average smokes that people will say are good but it doesn't seem to go much further than that.

Just my :2 .

ScottishSmoker
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I am sorry I am not on the same page as you guys...CAO at one point in time was probably the brand I had the most of...however, with their constant willingness to reblend products whenever they feel like it...their willingness to change who rolls it for them at any given time...and their overinflated price tags have really made me walk away from the brand. I can tell you of so many of their products that were phenomenal at the time of their release only to last ten minutes before it is reblended and tastes like crap...

That is just my experience, please do not let it overshadow the product you may love...smoke what you like!

Tombstone
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree Killjoy CAO makes some great smokes.

Skywalker
01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I love the CAO eXtreme!!!

elderboy02
01-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I really enjoy the Brazilias and the Golds.

AD720
01-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I've enjoyed most of the CAOs I've had as well. I like the Brazilila, the Black VR and the Italia the most. I was a little underwhelmed by the America. The regular "maduro" is also pretty good (and I'm not a huge maduro fan). I was just gifted a Sopranos that I am looking forward to trying.

I think the packaging is pretty cool. I can't see how people can really knock a company for being creative. :confused:

As far as the pricing, I rarely buy cigars at MSRP. At the prices I am paying for these it is a non issue.

smitdavi
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I really like the Sopranos

smokeyandthebandit05
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
the only CAOs that ive actually liked were the italia and brazilias. The gold maduro was just bad but i have a anaversiary that i think is a boxed pressed belicoso. Im sorry im on my phone and when i get home ill be able to explain morw

Whee
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
The Italia was my first ever smoke..you always love your first.

I also like the Brazilias...Haven't smoked enough of the others to have an opinion, really.

Sauer Grapes
01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I haven't had a criollo in a couple years, but dang I used to like those. The first brazilia I had was amazing, but they've been lackluster since. Italias were nice, haven't had one for a while. The blacks are fake maduros, I refuse to have another one after my fingers got all stained.

lightning9191
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I haven't had a criollo in a couple years, but dang I used to like those. The first brazilia I had was amazing, but they've been lackluster since. Italias were nice, haven't had one for a while. The blacks are fake maduros, I refuse to have another one after my fingers got all stained.

Are you talking about the CAO VR Black? The regular blacks aren't maduro.

Sauer Grapes
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
maybe it was an anniversary maduro, it had a red band

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
The Brazilia and the mx2 are very good smokes. I dont think ive ever had a problem with the brazilia. Always good burn, construction, and the flavor is great! Full of great chocolate and coffee flavors.

WyGuy
01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I've had very few bad experiences with CAO. My personal favorite CAO would be the Brazilia, never disappoints!

lightning9191
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I really, really enjoy the CAO Black....I have also enjoyed the Criollo and the MX2. I haven't tried the Brazilia yet, but I have one waiting.

dccraft
01-23-2009, 05:25 AM
I've only had a couple different blends from CAO, the Brazilia & the VR. Both were very nice in my opinion.

BlackIrish
01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Like many, I've sampled the CAO lineup. I like the Brazilias and Criollos the best so far; I just picked up some LX2s and CX2s that I'm looking forward to smoking. I like Italias, too, when I'm in the right mood.

MX2s have some good flavor notes, but they never live up to my hopes because the flavors never quite get there -- the hints of flavor always flit through the background and never quite build to where I want them to be. The VRs have been ok, but I, too, am not a fan of cooked maduros. The Golds and Blacks are just too mild and boring for me.

I've never had a Vision or Soprano -- I'd never pay MSRP -- but I hope to try some someday.

Bottom line, for me: some decent to very good smokes that are well marketed. I hate paying for marketing though, and I don't like when CAO experiments with or changes established blends. So CAOs aren't likely ever to be more than just a stick to smoke when I'm not really paying a lot of attention to my smoke.

Although I am looking forward to trying the LX2s . . .

macpappy
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
The CAO MX2 is still one of my favorites but I didn't care for the Criolla.

Java
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Italia and Brazilias are consistent, flavorful, enjoyable smokes.

The Gold is a really good creamy, mild smoke, but not my go-to in this category.

The rest I only smoke on rare occaision, nothing bad to say about them except they are a tad pricey.

Starscream
01-23-2009, 09:00 AM
CAO Brazilias are good.
CAO Gold sucks.
CAO Sopranos has been sitting in my humi for almost two years. Haven't tried one yet.
CAO Italia was not bad, but nothing memorable.

hoax
01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm not a big CAO fan. It's not that I hate them or anything, but for the price point they seem a bit flat.

Of the ones I've smoked I think the Criollos were the best.

Beer Doctor
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
with their constant willingness to reblend products whenever they feel like it...their willingness to change who rolls it for them at any given time

I used to be a huge CAO fan. When the anni came out it was my fav smoke but they changed the blend and it's not as good as I remember. Same with Brazilia. I want to try the Vision but it's way too much $. For that $ I'd rather have an opus or a pad anni. Looking forward to trying a LX2 though:ss

ade06
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I still like the Brazilila and Cameroon CAOs. They taste good to me.

sikk50
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I love the Gold Maduro. I like the Brazilla and loved the one Soprano's I had. Everything I've had from their lines I've enjoyed but I haven't had all of them.

BamBam
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I have never had a CAO that burned remotely close to even. The exception being the Sopranos, but they are overpriced for me.

smitdavi
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
CAO Brazilias are good.
CAO Gold sucks.
CAO Sopranos has been sitting in my humi for almost two years. Haven't tried one yet.
CAO Italia was not bad, but nothing memorable.

Burn one of those bad boys :ss

Linus
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm also a CAO fan. Mostly, it's been the Cx2s but I'm enjoying an Lx2 right now (review should be up this evening with lots 'o pix) and gotta say: excellent cigar (although the initial draw was a little tight).

JJG
01-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I usually post negative comments about CAO but they're not bad. just overpriced.

Fullauto
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
When I first started smoking cigars CAO was what I had the most of. Despite carefully keeping them in the proper environment I never could get a correct burn or keep the wrappers on. Plus a lot of plugged smokes. Finally just moved on to bigger and better smokes.

Catfish
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I've had MX and LX2's. Liked em both. Just won some Americana Landmarks on the Devil Site. Will see how they go.

sodomanaz
01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I love my CAOs. I always keep a box of Brazilias and Italias going. Also splurged on a box of Black and CX2, and haven't had a bad stick yet! :) Have a Sopranos sampler aging right now too. Can't wait to try those.

acarr
01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I never was a big fan for no reason but I have bought a lot of the LX2. They are great cigars.

KazzTheMurse
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm a fan of CAO. I truly enjoy their Mx2, Lx2, and their Brazillia.

meadmaker
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I love the MX2s and LX2s. I have found the burning to be even and consistent so I don't know where everybody else got theirs

Jimbo14
08-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Alot of people laugh at me when I tell them that the CAO MX2 is my favorite cigar. I absolutly love it! The burn and draw is always perfect and the flavour is amazing. I thought the Brazilia was average. I liked the maduro. I really want to try the italia, cameroon, CX2 and LX2.

Aldebaran
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I don't get how people are complaining about the pricing of CAO. Sure they Sopranos, America and Vision might be overpriced but there are a dozen other varieties that come in around 120 a box and to me that is fair.

I like their Sopranos and Brazilia cigars. The Sopranos gets a bad wrap because of the price and it is terribly gimmicky. To me though it is a good medium-full leathery as hell cigar that goes great with something to drink.

kelmac07
08-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Have smoked the Italia, Brazilia, and the Criollo and have not been impressed. Really enjoyed the Gold maduro. Sitting on a 5er of the new MX3...keeping my fingers crossed.

Wingfan13
08-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Where are you buying your CAO cigars from ? With the exception of a couple they all are at a great price point.

WyoBob
08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I really like the Brazilias. I got a deal on a 10 pack from Cbid (or C.I.-can't remember) and 3 of the 10 were plugged. As the time for returns had passed, CBID/CI wasn't interested in replacing them but did say that when I ordered again, they would do something?

I wrote a letter to CAO and received a hand written response from their C.S. rep, replacement cigars and a DVD. I was very impressed with their response and service and will be buying more Brazilias:)

WyoBob

csbrewfisher
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Whether you love their cigars or not, you have to admire their marketing/promotion, and their customer service is second to none.

Uflbassin
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I've tried several of the line, the brazilia is one of my go-to smokes. Burn has been perfect on every one and very consistent flavor. America and Criollo weren't bad, just nothing special. And I loved the LX2, price range on all these cigars has been very fair...

Mr B
08-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I like the Brazillia's (Pirhana size)
and the Black (larger ring gauges)
The Soprano was good but WAY overpriced.
Did not like many of the others and have not tried the Vision and the Ann. Maduro.

Kreth
08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I've enjoyed the Brazilia, Black, and VR. I got a mixed sampler from CI a while back, and the Brazilias especially just seem to get better and better the longer I let them rest.
The Cameroon and Italia didn't impress me much.