PDA

View Full Version : Lost

Beagleone
01-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Okay, I throw this out to y'all. What did you think about the Lost season premiere last night (1/21/09)?

Mugen910
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
:tu

Kept me screaming out:

"WTF!"

"Aww shiet!"

dunng
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Crazy! But I'm hooked again... :tu

Don Fernando
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
so does your mailman Bao :r

Buckeye Jack
01-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I enjoyed it, I just hope it doesn't take them all season to get back to the island and we have to watch "jumps" all season.

ActionAndy
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
The series is about to lose its credibility if Faraday is correct about the "rules" of time travel. By saying that Sawyer can't get Desmond's attention at the hatch because it never happened in the past, he's saying that the world can't be interacted with in ways that didn't originally happen.

So in other words, Sawyer wouldn't be able to walk because he wouldn't be able to create friction between his foot and the grains of sand beneath them. he wouldn't be able to breathe because he wouldn't be able to use molecules in the air. He wouldn't be able to start a fire or eat food.

Either Faraday is wrong, or the show jumped the shark (cliche phrase, but, yknow.)

mrreindeer
01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Damn it, I hope the DVR recorded it....I totally forgot it started up.

That, and I thought this was the new season: http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/en

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/250482,applicants-galore-for-australias-dream-job.html

ucla695
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Thank goodness for the DVR cuz I would have missed it. I guess I'll have to catch it tonight or over the weekend.

white_s2k
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Really like the season premiere. I was starting to lose interest in the show last season, but I'm liking the direction they are taking now.

Skywalker
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
The series is about to lose its credibility if Faraday is correct about the "rules" of time travel. By saying that Sawyer can't get Desmond's attention at the hatch because it never happened in the past, he's saying that the world can't be interacted with in ways that didn't originally happen.

So in other words, Sawyer wouldn't be able to walk because he wouldn't be able to create friction between his foot and the grains of sand beneath them. he wouldn't be able to breathe because he wouldn't be able to use molecules in the air. He wouldn't be able to start a fire or eat food.

Either Faraday is wrong, or the show jumped the shark (cliche phrase, but, yknow.)

Wow!!! You put a lot of thought into this!

I thought that it answered a few questions but then created more questions... just like every other episode!!!

BTW - Can anyone imagine Dr. Samuel Beckett (Scott Bakula) showing up in some episode saying, "WTF!!!"
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/img/imagingchamber/sam/scottpostcard.jpg

ActionAndy
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow!!! You put a lot of thought into this!

I thought that it answered a few questions but then created more questions... just like every other episode!!!

BTW - Can anyone imagine Dr. Samuel Beckett (Scott Bakula) showing up in some episode saying, "WTF!!!"
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/img/imagingchamber/sam/scottpostcard.jpg

Ziggy would tell him to get Juliette's t-shirt all wet. Is she the finest thing walking or what? I'm not even into blondes but the broad is a stone cold fox.

Regarding time travel rules, if Faraday was saying "you can't do that" as hyperbole based on ethics, it's fine. So if he was saying You have the DUTY not to do that, that's fine. But the way he worded it, to me anyway, sounded like he was saying it literally would not be a possibility for Sawyer to get Desmond to answer the door. Which sets the show up to shoot itself in the foot.

Btw I'm not trying to downplay how rad the show is. I started watching Lost cuz this girl I was into was all about it. The girl is long gone but I'm still hooked on Lost.

Cigargal
01-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Daniel was lying to Sawyer. He went and knocked on the door and Desmond answered it. So you can interact with the past.

ActionAndy
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Daniel was lying to Sawyer. He went and knocked on the door and Desmond answered it. So you can interact with the past.

Right. I wasn't clear on whether or not he could interact with him because they were "constants" or because it had been a lie.

Mugen910
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Right. I wasn't clear on whether or not he could interact with him because they were "constants" or because it had been a lie.

Or because he's "Special."

Cigargal
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Daniel seems to be all over the place. Last season he refered to his notebook to sort of keep himself focused on on place or time? Remember when Desmond was flipping back and forth in time? He ran into Daniel's mother(who seems to be connected to Ben) It's a mess, that's for sure-fun to untangle.

Cyanide
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I couldn't remember...but I thought I had seen that lady before; the one at the end of this episode....was that Faraday's mother?

Overall I enjoyed the episode. Though I think they had too many side stories to try and incorporate....but that is a function of the last season ending. I would have liked the main directions to have gotten more attention...but then the thing would have been 3 hours long. Like I said, overall I enjoyed it!

Cheers

Cyanide

Cyanide
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
But, its hard to tell whether Faraday was:

1) intently lying about altering the past
2) incorrect about his assumption regarding altering the past
3) broke the actually physical laws of that universe by the nature of Desmond being "special"

2+3 seem more likely based on the fact that Dan doesn't seem to think about the opportunity to talk to Desmond until he notices that the anthropologist lady has a bleeding nose...similar to Desmond when he was warping back and forth in time. This "reminded" him how Desmond was "special"...in the sense that Desmond has warped back and forth in time and has been able to alter the past. If that were the case then maybe Desmond's split existence allows him to be altered in any timeframe we consider. But, that doesn't alter the point about altering the sand beneath everyones' feet.

In fact, they should all be considered "special" now as they have all moved back and forth through time. And, they brought some things with them (clothes, the boat etc..). Mind you, Desmond's time-travelling was of a different sort; he didn't "appear" ("Pop") in new timeframes in new locations, he more "invaded" his own body with a "present-derived consciousness" which proceeded to take over all cognitive function for that temporary period of time while it was invading.

The only plot-saving plausible option involves Faraday either lying or being incorrect in his assumptions.

Cheers

Cyanide

Mugen910
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I couldn't remember...but I thought I had seen that lady before; the one at the end of this episode....was that Faraday's mother?

I don't know if we can say it was Farraday's mom but we do know that she was in another episode. IIRC she was in the flashback with Desmond..I believe she was the lady at the jewelry shop wearing the red dress and giving me the creeps. :D

kaisersozei
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know if we can say it was Farraday's mom but we do know that she was in another episode. IIRC she was in the flashback with Desmond..I believe she was the lady at the jewelry shop wearing the red dress and giving me the creeps. :D

I think that's who it was, too, but I have to watch again tonight to make sure.

Overall I enjoyed the opener, and even liked the 1 hour "catch-up" show and I usually avoid those.

dannysguitar
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I initially thought it was the lady at the jewlery shop (and at the catholic convent), but she looked alot different in this episode.

BTW, this episode was EPIC.

**Edit**
Lostpedia says it was that lady.

Cigargal
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM

She appeared to Desmond and spoke to him a couple of times when he was traveling back in time. And last night it showed her at a chalk board doing math figures-I connected that with Daniel's mom at Oxford-Im going to watch that episode again this weekend and check it out.

Cigargal
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Everything you want to know about Mrs. Hawking(interesting choice of name)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ms._Hawking

sorry link insert tool isn't working

Anyway-seems to be quite the controversy as to where she and Linus are in that last scene...I was wondering how the Six were going to get back to an island flip-flopping through time-must be some sort of portal. If she is Faraday's mother??? time will tell :r

MikeyC
01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I thought it was a great episode. :tu

Still plenty of questions to answer and I look forward to seeing them answered. Like why does darpa keep dropping food if all their people are dead?

Waynegro1
01-23-2009, 12:39 AM
I also enjoyed the episode. I'm hooked once again!! This is the only program that my wife and I actually sit on the couch and watch together. (but if she asks me, What their doing?, What's going on?, Who is that? one more time I swear I'm gonna.....:hn)

ucla695
01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Great way to kick off the season. There's a lot of cool stuff happening with the people on the island traveling back and forth through time. Interesting way to reveal the history about the island. I look forward to next week's show.

Don Fernando
01-24-2009, 01:28 PM
the time travelling is jumping the shark, too bad, I loved the show.

Cigargal
01-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Time travel is about the onlydirection this show could go-and I love it! Anything to do with time travel is fun to watch.

MikeyC
01-24-2009, 02:13 PM

If you didn't think the show "jumped the shark" when they revealed the monster was a column of black smoke, I don't see why you would feel that way when the characters start time travelling. :rolleyes:

Skywalker
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
If you didn't think the show "jumped the shark" when they revealed the monster was a column of black smoke, I don't see why you would feel that way when the characters start time travelling. :rolleyes:

:r:r:r