PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Tobacco sized USPS boxes?

Curly Cut
01-19-2009, 09:21 AM
ever want to send someone a tin or two and only have those damn "Video Tape" sized boxes? the kind that are too thin to fit a 50g ~ 100g tin of C&D/McClellands/Rattrays (the tub kind).

i don't know what your local post office is like, but they don't have ALL the sizes out and available for you to peruse...

there are two that i grab all the time:
size #12: this one is perfect for sending two 50g tubs (or a single 100g tub), they can stack on top of each other with just enough room around each side for some packing material. i think the dimensions are close to 4.5 x 4.5 x 4.5
size #13: this one is just a little bit bigger than the #12, roughly 6 x 7 x 7. you can fit plenty of tobacco in there, OR it's large enough to fit a pipe box and tobacco. this one is also known as "ebay box 4".

i tried to find them on the USPS site to order some, couldn't find them. you may have to ask at your local post office for box sizes #12 and #13. they're perfect for 2-7+ tins of tobacco. I hate grabbing super large boxes to send only a few tins, then cramming a ton of packaging in there (and using up all that extra tape).

Jay Hemingway
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
i get all of my boxes for free online at USPS.com.

they are the priority boxes. if you use this method, the boxes are free.

my PO never has boxes. i actually hook them up when i get mine in. i order 2 of each item. one for me and one for the guys at the PO. it helps out some of the older folk who don't have any boxes or a clue on how to get them. so they keep them behind the counter for when someone needs a box.

DrDubzz
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
they make a 6x6x6 box, and a few other cube sizes that would fit the larger tins pretty well.

If I'm mailing a disk tin, I just stick it in a padded envelope

Curly Cut
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
i get all of my boxes for free online at USPS.com.

they are the priority boxes.
i can't find those sizes on USPS.com.
i'd have linked them in the post, if i could. if someone else can find them, please link 'em, cuz i'll be ordering.

glassjapan
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM
here you go:

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?beginIndex=18&pageSize=6&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10152&categoryId=13354

Curly Cut
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
thx. been there, as well. looks like they do have ebay box 4.
i'd like to stock up on box #12, which they DON'T have online.

edit: getting some PMs and replies here like I'M looking for boxes. i am not. this was meant as an informative post for those looking for a good size box to ship PIPE TOBACCO.
thx for everyone's help though, i'm sure i confused everyone...

i know i posted above to link them. thanks. i had seen ebay box 4 before, just didn't link it myself.

Nick
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
If i'm only shipping a tin or two I use there padded envelopes most of the time.

Jay Hemingway
01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
thx. been there, as well. looks like they do have ebay box 4.
i'd like to stock up on box #12, which they DON'T have online.

edit: getting some PMs and replies here like I'M looking for boxes. i am not. this was meant as an informative post for those looking for a good size box to ship PIPE TOBACCO.
thx for everyone's help though, i'm sure i confused everyone...

i know i posted above to link them. thanks. i had seen ebay box 4 before, just didn't link it myself.

oh ok, i'll find out where you can find boxes and shoot ya a PM. :D