PDA

View Full Version : Anybody a pharmaceutical rep?

UPHOTO
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I've been in sales for 15 years now and I've had a lot of my friends tell me I I would be great at being a pharmaceutical rep and it's something I've wanted to do.

I've had to realize that my photography business just isn't going to cut it in this market i'm in. In Southern California it was great but not in Reno......

So I'm going to keep shooting weddings and do photography on the weekends but I need to get back to a 9-5 job, make great money, get benefits, 401k all that stuff I gave up being a small business owner.

It's a long shot but I thought I would come on here and see if anybody here does this for a living and how they did it. Everybody I've talked to say's it's all about who you know. I've got the resume for it with all my years of sales and great references but just wanted to see what else I could do to get in.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

aaron

forgop
01-15-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm not a rep, but looked into it. The odds of you becoming a pharmaceutical rep improve significantly if you're virtually a college cheerleader (female obviously) if you know what I mean. Doctors like eye candy and pharmaceutical companies know that.

Genetic Defect
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm not a rep, but looked into it. The odds of you becoming a pharmaceutical rep improve significantly if you're virtually a college cheerleader (female obviously) if you know what I mean. Doctors like eye candy and pharmaceutical companies know that.

where is the source of this claim?

UPHOTO
01-15-2009, 03:14 AM
If you know something different then please let us know.

Genetic Defect
01-15-2009, 03:19 AM
me? I don't buy into the stereotype.

19thHole
01-15-2009, 05:47 AM
where is the source of this claim?

This is actually quite true. I did a graduate paper on RX Companies and it was pretty obvious they hire good looking people. One company even admitted it helped in interviews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/business/28cheer.html

Genetic Defect
01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
This is actually quite true. I did a graduate paper on RX Companies and it was pretty obvious they hire good looking people. One company even admitted it helped in interviews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/business/28cheer.html
are you saying woman only? either way that doesn't sway me.

19thHole
01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
No they don't hire women only, but they do put an certain degree of emphasis on appearance. my Brother in law is a pharm rep, but he is a good looking all american guy (blonde hair blue eyes, etc.). The better looking you are the better chance of getting the job. However, that seems to play a role in just about any interview. The companies know that better looking people will get face to face with doctors more. It is just a fact of life I suppose.

Genetic Defect
01-15-2009, 05:58 AM
No they don't hire women only, but they do put an certain degree of emphasis on appearance. my Brother in law is a pharm rep, but he is a good looking all american guy (blonde hair blue eyes, etc.). The better looking you are the better chance of getting the job. However, that seems to play a role in just about any interview. The companies know that better looking people will get face to face with doctors more. It is just a fact of life I suppose.

I've seen that before, thats why we should buy from the ugly people

taltos
01-15-2009, 06:03 AM
I've seen that before, thats why we should buy from the ugly peopleWonder what Al is selling.:ss

Genetic Defect
01-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Wonder what Al is selling.:ss

dunno, but I'd buy it:r