PDA

View Full Version : John Smoltz - playing for the Red Sox?!

SmokeyJoe
01-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Never thought this day would come... :(

http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/bbdp/smoltz-to-red-sox-baldelli-penny-will/298806?cid=6

Thanks, Smoltzy, for all you did for the Braves.

Hope he gets another Championship. :ss

PeteSB75
01-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Never thought this day would come... :(

http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/bbdp/smoltz-to-red-sox-baldelli-penny-will/298806?cid=6

Thanks, Smoltzy, for all you did for the Braves.

Hope he gets another Championship. :ss

I hope he does too :ss

Guessing they will be using him as a bullpen arm, and spelling Paps in closing. That will let them move Masterson back in as a starter, which they need.

md4958
01-09-2009, 06:54 AM
you mean the sox actually signed somebody???

its about F-ing time!!!

awsmith4
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Traitor

Well at least it wasn't the Yankees :D

MikeyC
01-09-2009, 08:03 AM
you mean the sox actually signed somebody???

its about F-ing time!!!

We got Baldelli too. The people in RI just shat themselves with joy because he's from Woonsocket.

massphatness
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I like Smoltz, but it's a weak consolation prize after losing out on Texeira.

Mugen910
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Traitor

Well at least it wasn't the Yankees :D

Amen brother!!

Starscream
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Not a Braves fan, but I just can't see him in another uniform. Wow.

Yazzie
01-09-2009, 08:52 AM

same exact feeling on this Vin. Ownership has clearly put away the checkbook this offseason. How can I get excited abut a 42 year Old who's arm could fall of anytime and a guy who can only play about 35% of the time due to some strange ailment :mad:

Starscream
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
same exact feeling on this Vin. Ownership has clearly put away the checkbook this offseason. How can I get excited abut a 42 year Old who's arm could fall of anytime and a guy who can only play about 35% of the time due to some strange ailment :mad:

Not to knock Smoltz and his career, but why do you think Atlanta's not keeping him?;)

Kinda like Griffey and the Reds. He hit his peak w/ Seattle and we got stuck w/ the leftovers.

NCRadioMan
01-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I am sad about this. I am a Braves fan and Smoltzie is my all-time favorite pitcher. I hope he does well.

theycallmedan'lboone
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Sad

MadAl
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM

If we got Teixiera, we'd've lost Youkilis. After that Denis Leary rant, Youk should be a Red Sox for life.

Yazzie
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
If we got Teixiera, we'd've lost Youkilis. After that Denis Leary rant, Youk should be a Red Sox for life.

I Disagree here. Youk would have moved back 3B his naturaL position and Lowell would have been odd man out

MadAl
01-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I Disagree here. Youk would have moved back 3B his naturaL position and Lowell would have been odd man out

Saw Youk interviewed when the Sox were trying to get Teixiera, he said he was the odd man out.

PeteSB75
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Texiera might be a good hitter, but I don't think I'd want to give up Youk for him. It's a non-issue anyway, since he's a yankee now, but I'd take Youk over Lowell, if for no other reason than the 5 years age difference. Add in the flexibility Youk has, and he's a clear winner. You think Lowell would be able to pop over to 1st base with no problems whatsoever? Me neither.

MikeyC
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM

:tpd:

The Sox have been trying to dump Lowell ever since they got him.

ScottieM
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Poor Red Sox. Maybe the Yankees could even things up and sign a guy like Rollie Fingers?

MikeyC
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Poor Red Sox. Maybe the Yankees could even things up and sign a guy like Rollie Fingers?

Yeah. Bringing back old azz pitchers is a GREAT idea. How about the Sox sign Randy Johnson or maybe Roger Clemens or Mike Mussina?

Oops!! The Spankees already did that. :r

VirtualSmitty
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Wow, impressive move by the Sox. They signed an old over the hill pitcher to go with their two other old over the hill pitchers and an outfielder who's always hurt :r

MikeyC
01-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Wow, impressive move by the Sox. They signed an old over the hill pitcher to go with their two other old over the hill pitchers and an outfielder who's always hurt :r

Yeah. Bringing back old azz pitchers is a GREAT idea. How about the Sox sign Randy Johnson or maybe Roger Clemens or Mike Mussina?

Oops!! The Spankees already did that. :r

We're just taking a page out of the Yankees play book I guess. :ss

The difference is that they are filling out a bullpen that already includes TWO great YOUNG starting pitchers and THE BEST closer in ALL of baseball.

shvictor
01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm gonna cry :(

VirtualSmitty
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
The difference is that they are filling out a bullpen that already includes TWO great YOUNG starting pitchers and THE BEST closer in ALL of baseball.

The Sox don't have Rivera ;)

I guess they needed to do something now that the Yanks have four of the best young arms in baseball :r

SMW
01-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna cry :(

I was in shock when I heard it yesterday. Now I bet wren and co overpay for lowe. But we have the money and we need a #1 starter.

Bruzee
01-10-2009, 01:47 AM
This has to be one of the sadest headlines I've read on ESPN. It is right there with Glavine signing with the Mets a few years back. I grew up watching both of them play at Fulton Co Stadium. This absolutely breaks my heart, and I would have loved to see him retire a Brave. Shame on you Atlanta for not paying this guy, despite the age and injuries. This never would have happened if John was still the GM. :fl:bh:confused::(:sad

MikeyC
01-10-2009, 05:42 AM
The Sox don't have Rivera ;)

I guess they needed to do something now that the Yanks have four of the best young arms in baseball :r

You're making me laugh. :r

Rivera is SO over the hill. He's about as scary as a little girl in a ballerina costume at this point in his career. Always remember, it's not important how you start. Only how you finish the game.

The Red Sox have PLENTY of young pitching. I just think they have 2 or 3 of the BEST young pitchers. The Spankees do have four young pitchers on their roster I'll give you that. :D

VirtualSmitty
01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
You're making me laugh. :r

Rivera is SO over the hill. He's about as scary as a little girl in a ballerina costume at this point in his career. Always remember, it's not important how you start. Only how you finish the game.

The Red Sox have PLENTY of young pitching. I just think they have 2 or 3 of the BEST young pitchers. The Spankees do have four young pitchers on their roster I'll give you that. :D

Actually your making me laugh. Did you look at Rivera's numbers last season? A 1.40 ERA with 39 saves is hardly over the hill. Rivera also pitched more innings, walked less, and hd the same amount os SOs as Papelbon. Papelbon had two more saves but he also had a much higher era ;) Rivera>Papelbon, sorry.

I'm sure the Blow Sux have a good young pitcher or two. The problem is the yanks have four of the best young arms in the rotation now and some great young arms in the pen. And the best closer in the game :tu

But all is not lost. The Sux did just make a great signing. Brad Penny is sure to be lights out for you. I mean, he was great a couple of years ago. And last year, man was he impressive. 6 wins and 9 losses in the worst division in baseball with and ERA over 6. And now he's making a move to the Al, where he's never played, and moving from the worst division to the best division in baseball. Fantastic free agent signing :r

SMW
01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
This has to be one of the sadest headlines I've read on ESPN. It is right there with Glavine signing with the Mets a few years back. I grew up watching both of them play at Fulton Co Stadium. This absolutely breaks my heart, and I would have loved to see him retire a Brave. Shame on you Atlanta for not paying this guy, despite the age and injuries. This never would have happened if John was still the GM. :fl:bh:confused::(:sad

It is sad, isn't it? I actually think it's far worse than the Glavine situation (even though he did go to a division rival). The thing I don't understand, is that we have so much money to spend this offseason, but yet we don't open up the vault for Mr. Braves? Honestly, Smoltz was an icon not only in Atlanta, but in all of the Majors. I have a tendancy to agree with you that if John Schuerholz were still the GM, this wouldn't have happened.

And speaking of the GM situation, what a tough offseason for Wren. I loved the Renteria trade (back in 07) that yielded us Jair and Gorkys but losing out on Peavy, Smoltz, Burnett and Furcal (all within a few months) is pretty inexcusable. Now I'm fairly confident that we'll overpay for D. Lowe (because we need a legit #1 starter) and probably sign Andruw Jones back. It's going to be an interesting (and realisticly underwhelming) season in Atlanta.

Starscream
01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
It is sad, isn't it? I actually think it's far worse than the Glavine situation (even though he did go to a division rival).

I remember the old Braves pitching dynasty: Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux. They're all gone now. I hated to see Maddux's lackluster retirement.

MikeyC
01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Actually your making me laugh. Did you look at Rivera's numbers last season? A 1.40 ERA with 39 saves is hardly over the hill. Rivera also pitched more innings, walked less, and hd the same amount os SOs as Papelbon. Papelbon had two more saves but he also had a much higher era ;) Rivera>Papelbon, sorry.

I'm sure the Blow Sux have a good young pitcher or two. The problem is the yanks have four of the best young arms in the rotation now and some great young arms in the pen. And the best closer in the game :tu

But all is not lost. The Sux did just make a great signing. Brad Penny is sure to be lights out for you. I mean, he was great a couple of years ago. And last year, man was he impressive. 6 wins and 9 losses in the worst division in baseball with and ERA over 6. And now he's making a move to the Al, where he's never played, and moving from the worst division to the best division in baseball. Fantastic free agent signing :r

If you REALLY want to laugh, listen to your buddy Joba talk. Dice-K speaks english better than he does and he's Japanese. :r

VirtualSmitty
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
If you REALLY want to laugh, listen to your buddy Joba talk. Dice-K speaks english better than he does and he's Japanese. :r

If you really want a good laugh look at Chamberlain pitch, then look at Dice-k. Then look at how much more the Blow Sox are paying him :r

Bruzee
01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
It is sad, isn't it? I actually think it's far worse than the Glavine situation (even though he did go to a division rival). The thing I don't understand, is that we have so much money to spend this offseason, but yet we don't open up the vault for Mr. Braves? Honestly, Smoltz was an icon not only in Atlanta, but in all of the Majors. I have a tendancy to agree with you that if John Schuerholz were still the GM, this wouldn't have happened.

And speaking of the GM situation, what a tough offseason for Wren. I loved the Renteria trade (back in 07) that yielded us Jair and Gorkys but losing out on Peavy, Smoltz, Burnett and Furcal (all within a few months) is pretty inexcusable. Now I'm fairly confident that we'll overpay for D. Lowe (because we need a legit #1 starter) and probably sign Andruw Jones back. It's going to be an interesting (and realisticly underwhelming) season in Atlanta.

I am still stunned. Smoltzy deserved to spend his entire career in Atlanta. You are absolutely right about Wren. He has seriously hurt our chances at a winning season. The Mets are only getting stronger (although they are choke artists). And the Phills are for real. I will be a Brave fan till I die, but this is going to be another tough year!

I remember the old Braves pitching dynasty: Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux. They're all gone now. I hated to see Maddux's lackluster retirement.

I remember too. Then I gues you'll remember when we all considered Steve Avery one of the 4 aces too! Good days, and great memories!

ScottieM
01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Now I hear the Sox just signed Saito. Looks like the Sox are Dredging the bottom of the old Free Agent Pool this yr. This "Young team" is getting older real fast. Who's next? Jamie Moyer.:r

Yazzie
01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Look for all you Yankee fans out there. I'm sure your glad your owner has spent like a pig and opened up the pursestrings for you but the reality is WE the Red Sox own scoreboard right now with 2 WS Championships the past 4 years...

I hope all the money you have spent allows you to at least make the playoffs in 2009.

Certainly you are the favorites on paper right? Arod are you going to finally step up?

SMW
01-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Weren't those the days? And what offense we had too. I'm not going to lie, I was always a bigtime Prime Time fan. Deion Sanders was a great football player, baseball player and musician (YouTube 'Must Be The Money' for reference). But I too was disappointed by the Maddux retirement. For such a great pitcher, his departure didn't get much fanfare. It would have been pretty great to see Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz all pitch for the Braves this year. Seemed like it was a pretty simple deal, and now it looks like we might not even have any of them.

SmokeyJoe
06-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Smoltzie had a rough outing against the hapless Nationals.

Hopefully just a little rust. Go get them, JS!!! :ss

kelmac07
06-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Weren't those the days? And what offense we had too. I'm not going to lie, I was always a bigtime Prime Time fan. Deion Sanders was a great football player, baseball player and musician (YouTube 'Must Be The Money' for reference). But I too was disappointed by the Maddux retirement. For such a great pitcher, his departure didn't get much fanfare. It would have been pretty great to see Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz all pitch for the Braves this year. Seemed like it was a pretty simple deal, and now it looks like we might not even have any of them.

After all those years of the Braves dominating my beloved mets...I am smiling as Smoltz gets ROCKED!!!

The Poet
06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
You Massholes seem to be missing the point here - the Sox did NOT get Smoltz for his arm, but for his bat. He's slotted to PH for Big Poopie.

taltos
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Smoltzie had a rough outing against the hapless Nationals.

Hopefully just a little rust. Go get them, JS!!! :ssHe was most excellent after the first inning.:D

Texan in Mexico
06-27-2009, 01:51 PM
He was most excellent after the first inning.:D

I agree, take away that inning and he had a fine line score striking out the side in the fifth I thnk.