PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Humidor project ?

Bubba - NJ
01-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Does anyone in the Asylum know of any free downloadable design software ? I'm in the design stage and would like a Cad type program that is free or really cheap so as to speed up my design as opposed to drawing a different cabinet up for each idea I have . I tried the search but found nothing and didn't have much luck with Google either . :hm

groogs
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know of any, I do all my designing and drawing by hand. I guess I am old school in that way.

tdaddy
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Google sketch up is really good...and free!

http://sketchup.google.com/

Silound
01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't know any software for the purpose that's free, but I can tell you nothing beats a chalkboard or dry-erase board for drawing out your initial ideas.

Typically I roughly draw them out as I envision them on a wall board, then I go back and decide on measurements and finer details when I start a pencil and paper measured drawing for my projects.

Footbag
01-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I like graph paper and a pencil!

Lorglath
01-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I personally do it with a paper and pencil too

Bubba - NJ
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the replies . I generally use a paper , pencil , scale and drafting triangles but I'm going to give the Sketch it program a shot . Might be a bit faster and no eraser marks either . :ss

Bubba - NJ
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Thats a pretty neat and easy to use program . Of course it will take a little while to work out the intricacies of it but the basics are quite simple . In about a half hour I was able to create the cabinet with 2 shelves inside and a pair of doors with raised , then made it look realistic with a medium Cherry wood tone on it . Thanks for the great link tdaddy ! Tried to add a picture but the file type is wrong .

tdaddy
01-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Yea I always used pencil and graph paper, until I discovered sketch up for my woodworking project, just because most CAD programs over complicate what I am trying to do. If you can figure out how to post some pictures I would love to see them. I am considering a cabinet humidor here in the future