PDA

View Full Version : Any Roman Historians / History Buffs?

RGD.
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Looking for advice on a book I want to get - opinions on the various translations and such.

Ron

VirtualSmitty
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes! What exactly are you looking for? Is there a specific period your interested in?

RGD.
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes! What exactly are you looking for? Is there a specific period your interested in?

Specifically I'm looking at getting: Marcus Aurelius - Meditations.

I am not a big Roman history student/buff/etc. The small collection of books I do have deal with Roman battle tactics and stuff. So looking for opinions as far as getting one or two of these translations. The three topping my list so far are:

*** Meditations, translated by Gregory Hays. ISBN 0-679-64260-9.

*** The Emperor's Handbook: A New Translation of the Meditations, translated by Scot and David Hicks. ISBN 0-7432-3383-2.

*** "The Essential Marcus Aurelius" Newly translated and introduced by Jacob Needleman and John P. Piazza. ISBN 978-1-58542-617-1

Others to be considered:

** Meditations, translated by Maxwell Staniforth. ISBN 0-14-044140-9.

* The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, translated by George Long (1862); reprinted many times, including in Vol. 2 of the Harvard Classics.

* The Golden Book of Marcus Aurelius, translated by Meric Casaubon. J.M. Dent & Co. (London). 1906-1908.

* Meditations, translated by A.S.L. Farquharson. ISBN 0-19-283907-1.

Any thoughts on any of these translations is greatly appreciated.

Ron

VirtualSmitty
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Specifically I'm looking at getting: Marcus Aurelius - Meditations.

I am not a big Roman history student/buff/etc. The small collection of books I do have deal with Roman battle tactics and stuff. So looking for opinions as far as getting one or two of these translations. The three topping my list so far are:

*** Meditations, translated by Gregory Hays. ISBN 0-679-64260-9.

* The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, translated by George Long (1862); reprinted many times, including in Vol. 2 of the Harvard Classics.

Ron

I own those two, as well as another that I can't find at the moment. Can't go wrong with either. To be honest though I read mostly about the Republican era of Rome up till Augustus then switch gears read about the late eastern Roman empire (Byzantine era).

If you haven't read any Polybius or Livy tranlations you should, excellent reading!

Ace$nyper
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I own those two, as well as another that I can't find at the moment. Can't go wrong with either. To be honest though I read mostly about the Republican era of Rome up till Augustus then switch gears read about the late eastern Roman empire (Byzantine era).

If you haven't read any Polybius or Livy tranlations you should, excellent reading!

Beat me too it!

Meditations is one of the greatest writings ever top 10 status.

I'm happy to see some other history buffs here :)

GhostRyder
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I need to go figure out which copy of Meditations I have. I am a history buff and got excited about Meditations when I heard that General James Mattis, one of the most badass Marines presently serving, carries his copy of Meditations with him wherever he goes. So, I had to check it out. Any book that helped form the character of a man like Mattis is worth checking out. I mean... a famous quote "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Badass.

So is the book. Enjoy.

VirtualSmitty
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Tacitus is also essential reading ;)

RGD.
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I haven't - suggestions?

I'm happy to see some other history buffs here :)

I guess I have always had this underlying fascination with the Roman Empire. During my college years as an Architectural student: Roman architecture and design and then later on in the Army - the Roman battle tactics.

Would love to get more involved but it's such a vast territory - it's a daunting task on deciding where to start! I'm thinking along the lines of early history and then a good overall time line type book as starters. Any suggestions along these lines?

Thanks for the help so far -

Ron

VirtualSmitty
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
For Polybius I have the Loeb classic translations by WR Paton. Excellent 2 volume translation.

Livy I have to look for. Have a few books I read in college that got put away somewhere. I'll see if I can't dig em out tomorrow.

Cigary
01-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Usually, Amazondotcom has what you are looking for. Example, Meditations, translated by Gregory Hays brand new for $5.68 and up.

AdamC
01-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Check out The Wisdom of Marcus Aurelius it's not bad...it's short an gives the basics

theycallmedan'lboone
01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
MY NAME is maximus decimus meridius, general of the Armies of the North, commander of the felix legions, and loyal Servant to the one true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

There, roman history. ;-)

AdamC
01-06-2009, 07:29 AM
haha not quite but close

RGD.
01-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Usually, Amazondotcom has what you are looking for. Example, Meditations, translated by Gregory Hays brand new for $5.68 and up.

Finding the books isn't a problem - knowing which is a preferred and/or authoritative translation is.

Check out The Wisdom of Marcus Aurelius it's not bad...it's short an gives the basics

Thanks - will look at that also.

Ron

RGD.
01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
MY NAME is maximus decimus meridius, general of the Armies of the North, commander of the felix legions, and loyal Servant to the one true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

There, roman history. ;-)

Your history is a little fuzzy. Actually it was:

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

If you want - I can help recommend a few books - :ss

Ron

gettysburgfreak
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Can't help with Roman history books but if you need help with Civil War books let me know.