PDA

View Full Version : The Size of A BB, it Was

DonWeb
01-05-2009, 05:03 AM
I woke up Saturday with searing, gut wrenching, nauseating pain. My whole existence was reduced to enduring waves of pain as I in turn - paced, stood doubled over, stood in the bathroom retching, or rolled on the bed.:bh

All of this due to a b.b. sized kidney stone.

I have absolutely no intention of going through that again. Anyone have any preventive remedies?

Gone Dave
01-05-2009, 05:13 AM
This is the worst, I had them before..:fl It was a serious pain, I thought my appendix was a goner..
I drink a little cranberry/grape mix juice and really cut out anything other than that and water..
But don't get me wrong, I must have a Dr. every day or so..:)

68TriShield
01-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Celeste and my Brother get these Tony.
I've heard iron and calcium cause kidney stones.I'm not sure if it's fact though.
Most folks say this some of the worst pain anyone can endure.I hope it passes and you never even have to think about another my friend.

Come to think of it,it could have been that Polar Bear plunge you took ;)

RGD.
01-05-2009, 05:56 AM
. . .
I have absolutely no intention of going through that again. Anyone have any preventive remedies?

Good luck with that! I have had more than my fair share of those suckers and it's not pretty. Best bet to "try" to avoid future meetings is a daily/weekly dosing of cranberry juice and water on a daily basis. The idea is to keep everything flushed before it has a chance to build.

Ron

j-easy
01-05-2009, 06:03 AM
ive heard its due to build up of minerals, something that can be avoided if you drink a lot of water

icehog3
01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
As others have stated, drink as much water as you can Tony. There can be several factors, including heredity, in getting stones.

One thing is to avoid excessive use of antacids like Tums and Rolaids, the added calcium can aggravate the situation.

I have had my share, including a trip to the emergency room for one that went beyond human levels of pain tolerance. I haven't had one for a couple years now (knock on wood). I hope this one is your last one as well.

theycallmedan'lboone
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
don't eat icecream and drink mountain dew at the same time.

LordOfWu
01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Let's just say that I've had more than I can count with two hands! As stated before, drink lots of water, and orange juice or grapefruit juice (high acidity) may actually be better than cranberry juice. If you feel another one coming on I would definitely recommend a visit to the Dr. and get a screen to catch it so they can analyze it. There are different kinds of stones (calcium based, protein based) that would be treated differently. Good luck!

hotreds
01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
As above- also I understand that carbonated drinks should be removed from your diet as well. My neighbor has had these several times and I've had to take him to the Emergency Room(a whole story in itself!) Good luck, I DO hope this was a once in a lifetime for ya!

MithShrike
01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
My friend is Mayan and he mentioned something called chaya I think that's how it's spelled. A tea made from that plant will make the calcium in your kidneys break up. Many people pass most of the minerals solute in their urine but it also reduces the kidney stone size so they are much easier to pass. Although it does not grow well away from the Yucatan.

DonWeb
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
As others have stated, drink as much water as you can Tony. There can be several factors, including heredity, in getting stones.

One thing is to avoid excessive use of antacids like Tums and Rolaids, the added calcium can aggravate the situation.

Well I don't take antacids - and I disowned my parents when they divorced; so it can't be hereditary. :rolleyes:

My friend is Mayan and he mentioned something called chaya I think that's how it's spelled.
Chaya??

Sounds like water, juices, and some of that delicious Chayan tea for me.