PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Buy Your Beans?

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I buy from Black Dog and from Unclebeanz.

What about you guys?

Tazziedevil
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I roast my own, mostly. I don't live in the US, so I can't really comment on unclebeanz, but luckily there is a good coffee roaster right up the road from me that makes some good stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

MithShrike
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I normally buy my green coffee beans from Sweet Maria's or Burman Coffee Traders. Both places have proven to have good quality coffees.

MrJerry
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I steal them from myself! Killer Beans!!

muziq
01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Got some nice beans from Killerbeans, but mostly I buy from local (to me) roasters:

Texas Coffee Traders: http://www.texascoffeetraders.com/

Summermoon Coffee: http://www.woodfiredcoffee.com/

King James
01-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Since starting to roast my own I've used the Green Coffee Buying Club (greencoffeebuyingclub.com)

ghostrider
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I usually buy from Norm (UncleBeans), or SweetMarias. Marias is only 5 minutes from where I work, so it's pretty easy to just pop in and pick up an order. These are the only two sources I've found that have consistent quality with their beans.

Doogie
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I buy from the below link. also a great cigar site

http://www.leafandale.com/

TRicker
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Killer Beans

Swampper
01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Doubleshot: http://doubleshotcoffee.com/store/index.php?categoryID=2

gumby
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
sweet marias or coffee bean corral.

goatfarmer
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Happened to stumble upon a local roaster, seems like the stars have to be in alignment to find the store open. Curious if there is a correlation between the color of the bean and the strength of the brew. Seem to recall being told the lighter the bean the stronger the brew. Imagine it would depend on type bean, and region. Like a strong blend for the french press, still searching. :hm Sorry for stealing the thread.

mosesbotbol
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Peets

Local Cafe that gets beans from some place in TX

Italian Grocers for Danesi, Illy, etc...

Supermarket - sells Peets, etc..

Prozac_Puros
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
MrJerry is my coffee pimp

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I ordered a pound of Guatemala Antigua from Lakota Coffee Co. out of MO. Very good coffee!:tu

Buena Fortuna
01-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Happened to stumble upon a local roaster, seems like the stars have to be in alignment to find the store open. Curious if there is a correlation between the color of the bean and the strength of the brew. Seem to recall being told the lighter the bean the stronger the brew. Imagine it would depend on type bean, and region. Like a strong blend for the french press, still searching. :hm Sorry for stealing the thread.

As the bean absorbs heat, the color shifts to yellow and then to varying shades of brown. During the later stages of roasting, oils appear on the surface of the bean, making it shiny. The roast will continue to darken until it is removed from the heat source.

At lighter roasts, the bean will exhibit more of its "origin flavor" - the flavors created in the bean by the soil and weather conditions in the location where it was grown. Coffee beans from famous regions like Java, Kenya, Hawaiian Kona, and Jamaican Blue Mountain are usually roasted lightly so their signature characteristics dominate the flavor.[1] As the beans darken to a deep brown, the origin flavors of the bean are eclipsed by the flavors created by the roasting process itself. At darker roasts, the "roast flavor" is so dominant that it can be difficult to distinguish the origin of the beans used in the roast.

A note on flavor: Describing the tastes of different roasts is as subjective as putting a wine into words. In both cases there’s no substitute for your own personal taste. As a guide, if you can see the oil on the beans as in the image above, you are more likely to taste the roasting flavours, than the individual characteristics of the beans.

Roast level - Notes - Surface Flavor
Light Cinnamon roast, half city, New England: After several minutes the beans “pop” or "crack" and visibly expand in size, this stage is called first crack. American mass-market roasters typically stop here. Dry Lighter-bodied, higher acidity, no obvious roast flavour

Medium Full city, American, regular, breakfast, brown: After a few short minutes the beans reach this roast, which U.S. specialty sellers tend to prefer. Dry Sweeter than light roast; more body exhibiting more balance in acid, aroma, and complexity

Full Roast High, Viennese, Italian Espresso, Continental: After a few more minutes the beans begin popping again, and oils rise to the surface. This is called second crack. Roasters from the U.S. Northwest generally remove the beans at this point. Slightly shiny Somewhat spicy; complexity is traded for heavier body/mouth-feel, aromas and flavours of roast become clearly evident

Double Roast French: After a few more minutes or so the beans begin to smoke. The bean sugars begin to carbonize. Very oily Smokey; tastes quite bitter. None of the inherent flavors of the bean are recognisable. Aroma of charcoal.

Grades of coffee roasting; unroasted (or "green"), light, cinnamon, medium, high, city, full city, Italian, and French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_roasting

goatfarmer
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Buena Fontuna, thank you, very interesting, also for the follow up resource. An interesting note, or at least for me, is Wikipedia is a non profit organization who rely, to a large extent, on volunteers to compile majority of the research, I am going to have to send them a few $, unfortunately too late to deduct from this yrs. taxes. Anyhow, again thank you!!. :salute:

loki
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
i need to find a place for green beans....but they have to have sumatra...my fiacee loves that stuff

omowasu
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
i need to find a place for green beans....but they have to have sumatra...my fiacee loves that stuff

Sweet Marias has a good green Sumatra selection, I would try there first.

I dont home-roast (yet) - I usually buy pre-roasted from Whole Paycheck, Trader Joes, or sometimes Costco (when they have good blends)...

DocLogic77
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I buy green beans from sweet marias...I love the ratings he does...very helpful.

Mister Moo
01-28-2009, 04:57 AM
I buy from Black Dog and from Unclebeanz.

What about you guys?You guys near Chicago are lucky to have Intelligensia in the neighborhood. Shop locally.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/origin/offerings/10-30-2008

ashtonlady
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I get mine from Uncle Beanz or Sweet marias.

Volusianator
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I buy from Black Dog
Same here, Brian is da chit! I buy the Ethopian Longberry Harrar Horse. Ummm, yummy!

ashtonlady
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Ethiopian Harrar Horse is one of my all time favorites.

novasurf
02-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Curious if there is a correlation between the color of the bean and the strength of the brew. Seem to recall being told the lighter the bean the stronger the brew.It depends on what you mean by strength, goat. Is it caffeine jolt, overall taste, both? I've been in this for quite some time and strength means different things to different folks.

cricky101
03-01-2009, 06:50 AM
The Bean Factory - Saint Paul. Love the selection for a small shop, and it's not too far from home.

http://www.jsbeanfactory.com/

starsky
03-01-2009, 07:13 AM
I have purchased from Killer Beans in the past (very good). But yesterday I tried a Sumatra from Trader Joes. Not bad.

King James
03-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I have purchased from Killer Beans in the past (very good). But yesterday I tried a Sumatra from Trader Joes. Not bad.

pick up some 2 buck chuck on the way out :tu

RFC
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
http://store.caffeibis.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ci&Product_Code=89T

http://www.nmpinoncoffee.com/npc_shop/detail.asp?dept_id=1&pf_id=NMP5LB

mastershogun
03-10-2009, 09:48 PM
You guys near Chicago are lucky to have Intelligensia in the neighborhood. Shop locally.

tuesday is discount day on beans :)
otherwise they have a punch card for your drinks which is always nice
the only downside is the limit the put on internet use :(
nonetheless the coffee is great :r

Mister Moo
03-11-2009, 04:45 AM
35# of green beans from unclebeanz yesterday.

Note: Sale on killer Ariche lot 27 - possibly most extraordinary coffee Mrs. Moo, two little Moos and I ever tasted.

Fumes
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Note: Sale on killer Ariche lot 27 - possibly most extraordinary coffee Mrs. Moo, two little Moos and I ever tasted.

:tpd:

Dang! 5 pounds is all I could get past the family accounting oversight committee, but I completely and unequivocally agree -- Aricha 27 is :dr

Mister Moo
03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
:tpd:

Dang! 5 pounds is all I could get past the family accounting oversight committee, but I completely and unequivocally agree -- Aricha 27 is :drI guess I had an eye towards a six-month supply.

mosesbotbol
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
You guys near Chicago are lucky to have Intelligensia in the neighborhood. Shop locally.

Black Cat is really good. I don't go chasing after beans anymore.

Catfish
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
We haul for an importer from Miami to the Orlando area. Whenever the boys pick up a load to take to the roaster, I place an order for fresh roasted, fresh ground Columbian. OMFG, it is good.

FriskyDingo
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM

:tpd: Killer Beans has a wide variety that fits my day to day tastes perfectly! Jerry is a great guy too!

mastershogun
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Black Cat is really good. I don't go chasing after beans anymore.

very good :dr:dr:r:r

Fumes
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I guess I had an eye towards a six-month supply.

If I had the scratch I'd do the same. This is a truly amazing cup.

Tripp
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I buy from Uncle Beanz when I can, or stay local and buy Stumptown. :)

Bigwaved
03-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I buy from Uncle Beanz when I can, or stay local and buy Stumptown. :)what about me? :bx Oh yeah, they are free...hehehe

novasurf
03-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Right now, in its roasted form, the price cannot be beat. We do realize it is on the high end, but it truly is spectacular. And considering what is happening to the Ethiopian coffee market, this lot may be the Holy Grail.

ashtonlady
03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Okay, what happend, do I need to buy eveything I can get my hands on now?

BeerAdvocate
03-18-2009, 06:20 AM
I just made my 2nd purchase from Jerry @ Killer Beans! Great to deal with and great coffee too!!!

althekillr
03-18-2009, 08:09 AM
just placed my first order with unclebeanz yesterday. but typically cbc or sweetmarias.

novasurf
03-19-2009, 04:01 PM
just placed my first order with unclebeanz yesterday. but typically cbc or sweetmarias.

Thank you for trying us. You will not be disappointed.