PDA

View Full Version : Help, I overseasoned new Humi

kdog
01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I Got a new Humi from a friend, not my first, and did the sponge thing with the wood. Left Sponge in humi on plastic, and soaked the factory sent water holder thingies. The Humidity was like at 80% for several days and I used Distilled water. Mold has formed on the factory sent water holder thingies. I'm worried mold spoores are now in there. Is there a right way to clean the whole thing and start over. I plan on getting some beads soon to use instead of the water holder thingies {what is the right name for those} but am afraid to put my good sticks in there untill I clean it. I know someone will help a BOTL out. Thanks:confused:

Mugen910
01-02-2009, 01:32 PM
i think you are ok if you just open the humi and let it dry out...i could be wrong though...i have never seasoned the humi the way you did. I usually just throw a cup of distilled water in there for a few days till the display reads the right numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

awsmith4
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Step 1 - remove the water holder thingys :D
Step 2 - leave lid open for a bit
Step 3 - get some beads

Just throw away anything that has mold on it as well.

If you need beads either contact www.cigarmony.com, www.hearfelt.com, or Shilala. All three are members here and have great products

GWags
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
4. Cut and burn on of them cigars
5. Deep breath followed by a shot of your favorite fire water

Volt
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
+1 for Scotts beads - rock solid!

GKitty
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM

These are important steps.

Sanity is even more important to maintain than humidity.

MithShrike
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Go with shilala. The man's beads are unbeatable.

SilverFox
01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
+2 for Scotts Beads I use nothing but

On the humi if you are worried about mold spores you can wipe the insides done with a paper towel with de natured alchol and that will get rid of any mold spores without a concern of contaminating the humi.

As of drying it out, you can do as suggested leave the lid open a few days then recheck. In all likelihood if you take out your humidification devices and load it with cigars the RH would come down easily anyway but best to be safe.

Note - the humidification thingy's are just floral foam but tossing them was a good choice.

While you are waiting for your humi to dry out salt test your hygro.

Let us know how it goes.

Footbag
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
If you are afraid of mold spores, you wipe down / rinse out anything with rubbing alcohol. Just use a rag that is very slightly dampened with alcohol and rub down the inside. Then, leave the humi open for a couple days and re-season it.

That said, I don't think there are any humidors that are completely free of mold spores. Adequate humidity control is the best way to prevent mold. So if it's a little bit of mold we're talking about, this process might be overkill.

Blueface
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Just sounds like what state in the title of the thread.

You cure mold and over humidification by eliminating the cause.
In this case, just remove the cause of the moisture and open the humi to air out.
Seasoning should not be rushed by wiping down the humi.
Let it take its natural several days course.

Lucky_Hippo
01-02-2009, 02:51 PM
On a side note, if you actually ever do get mold growth on the inside of your humidor, remove the humidity source and let it dry out completely. Once dry you can take some fine grit sandpaper and gently remove the mold. I've done this in the past with remarkable success. Just remember to use a fine grit paper, sand as little as possible, and remove all sanded dabris.

taltos
01-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Another thing is that if you are getting your humidity reading off of the analog hygrometer that probably came with the humidor, buy a digital hygrometer so that you get accurate readings. Heartfelt and Cigarmony are good sources for them. And, if you ever need to sand the inside of your humidor, wear a mask; Spanish Cedar dust is nasty to inhale.:ss

karmaz00
01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
get some beads

cbsmokin
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Step 1 - remove the water holder thingys :D
Step 2 - leave lid open for a bit
Step 3 - get some beads

Just throw away anything that has mold on it as well.

If you need beads either contact www.cigarmony.com, www.hearfelt.com, or Shilala. All three are members here and have great products

This guy is a genius, I would do what he says.

shaggy
01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
first time i have heard of over humidifying......but all the ideas here are good ones

Cyclone
01-02-2009, 11:43 PM
In the mean time, I'll keep your sticks safe... PM for my address...:r:r

kdog
01-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Most Definatly = Henry McKinnah

Go with shilala. The man's beads are unbeatable.
Done deal!!!

Another thing is that if you are getting your humidity reading off of the analog hygrometer that probably came with the humidor, buy a digital hygrometer so that you get accurate readings Threw away the analog first thing.

Thanks Yall !!!!