PDA

View Full Version : PooPail Question

pnoon
05-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Thinking about signing up. <I know. I live in the Stone Age>

What do you guys and gals use? A bank account? A credit card? Both?

I'd prefer to use a bank account but am reluctant to provide my online banking credentials which would allow them access to all of my accounts.

For those that use credit cards, how does it work with the rewards programs? If I get 2% back on everything, will I get that 2% back on PP payments?

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

av8tor152d
05-03-2017, 09:14 AM
I use a debit card connected to my bank account, have been using it for years (close to 10) that way and never had any issues what so ever with actual company and have been helped when seller faulted on deal and they refunded purchase amount to me within 24 hours of contact.

I may be wrong but I believe the way it is set up now is that it may have to be a card connected to an account, so unsure on rewards for Credit cards. But my debit card is a cash back type and I do get the kickbacks on it.

If you have a smart phone the app will give you notifications of purchases made on the account which are customizable for amounts ect.

markem
05-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I have mine tied to my bank account. I don't pay fees because of this. A charge to a credit card is a charge, so you should get points.

jonumberone
05-03-2017, 09:26 AM
I use a bank account.
I'm fairly certain that you don't provide them with your online banking credentials and access to all of your accounts, just the routing and account numbers for whichever account you plan to use.
They have access to my checking account, but not my savings. :2

pnoon
05-03-2017, 09:28 AM
I have mine tied to my bank account. I don't pay fees because of this. A charge to a credit card is a charge, so you should get points.

I have a checking account and two savings accounts tied to my online banking. I was thinking of using one of the savings accounts for PP but by providing my credentials, PP would have access to all three. They claim they don't retain that info and only use it to set up the account.

Am I being overly cautious about this?

icehog3
05-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I have them linked like Dom. I probably use PP 8-10 times a month, and have never ha an issue.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 10:08 AM
I use a bank account.
I'm fairly certain that you don't provide them with your online banking credentials and access to all of your accounts, just the routing and account numbers for whichever account you plan to use.

I haven't signed up yet. But their video showing how to add a bank account involves selecting the bank and then the online credentials to access the account.

massphatness
05-03-2017, 10:08 AM
I use a bank account.

This was my experience as well.

I have my checking account linked as my primary funding source. PP doesn't have access to the other accounts (savings, money market, etc) attached to my checking.

In addition, I have a credit card as a back-up funding source.

You don't want to use a credit card as your primary source if you can avoid it as there are fees involved with every purchase transaction. Funding via a bank account, you can bypass those fees.

AdamJoshua
05-03-2017, 10:10 AM
I haven't signed up yet. But their video showing how to add a bank account involves selecting the bank and then the online credentials to access the account.

Never had a problem, it's like linking any other financial accounts and it's nice to be able to have money that is in pay pal sent directly to your bank, so the linking does pay off because not having to pay transaction fees.

:2

massphatness
05-03-2017, 10:11 AM
see this website (change the spelling of POOPAIL)

www. POOPAIL .com/us/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-link-a-bank-account-to-my-POOPAIL-account-faq686

It looks like providing credentials is optional if you want to express the process, but you don't have to do it

pnoon
05-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I use a bank account.

I have my checking account linked as my primary funding source. PP doesn't have access to the other accounts (savings, money market, etc) attached to my checking.

In addition, I have a credit card as a back-up funding source.

You don't want to use a credit card as your primary source if you can avoid it as there are fees involved with every purchase transaction. Funding via a bank account, you can bypass those fees.

If it's just the routing number and account number, I'm fine with that.
What I'm leery of is providing my login credentials which allows access to all of my accounts.

massphatness
05-03-2017, 10:13 AM
See above - we was typing at the same time

icehog3
05-03-2017, 10:14 AM
If it's just the routing number and account number, I'm fine with that.
What I'm leery of is providing my login credentials which allows access to all of my accounts.

I did not provide anything but the routing and acct numbers....unless things have changed since I signed up, like Vin said, you shouldn't have to.

elderboy02
05-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I did not provide anything but the routing and acct numbers....unless things have changed since I signed up, like Vin said, you shouldn't have to.

+1. I signed up a long time ago and I just did the routing and account info.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Routing number for my checking account is easy. But I want to use a savings account. I think I need to contact my bank for the routing number tied to my savings account.

av8tor152d
05-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Routing number for my checking account is easy. But I want to use a savings account. I think I need to contact my bank for the routing number tied to my savings account.

Some savings accounts don't allow ACH withdrawals such as the type by heygal I know mine didn't so that's why I linked it to checking via my debit card.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Some savings accounts don't allow ACH withdrawals such as the type by heygal I know mine didn't so that's why I linked it to checking via my debit card.

I'm guessing that may be the case for me.

heyferg
05-03-2017, 01:15 PM

I have my checking account linked as my primary funding source. PP doesn't have access to the other accounts (savings, money market, etc) attached to my checking. In addition, I have a credit card as a back-up funding source.

Same for me. I have my checking account linked to avoid fees with a credit card for backup if I need it.

The only problem I have had is my account was put on hold because PP thought I had too many Friends and Family transactions. Apparently they didn't realize most of my friends and family live in Europe! ;)

G G
05-03-2017, 02:35 PM
I have had a poopail account for over 10 years with my checking account tied to it and never had ANY problems at all. I just provided the routing and account number. when you check out at a site that you are using poopail as payment it pops up a secure poopail window that you sign into and complete the transaction then it returns you to the original page where the payment shows usually.

tsolomon
05-03-2017, 02:56 PM
On the news last night suggested that you use a credit card for PooPail, not your bank account. This was based on the fact that if you get hacked, they can clean out your bank account and not have any way to contest it or get your money back. They strongly advised you to use a credit card.

1. Do not link your ****** to a bank account or debit card. A scammer could really take you for a ride if they can access to your account. This lets scammers drain or even overdraft your bank account.

2. Do link your ****** to a credit card. This offers you an extra layer of fraud protection. Experts say this lets you dispute a fraud charge on two fronts. Experts say that way you're more likely to get your money back.

3. Never click on links in e-mails from ******. They might not really be from ******. Scammers can lead you to a dummy site where. When you put in your information, scammers steal it. This is called spoofing and it’s common. ****** has 200 million users worldwide giving scammers many targets.

I tried to post the link, put had to switch it to Poopail in order to post it. You can click on the link and correct it to get to the article.

www.wusa9.com/news/local/new-scams-underscore-the-need-to-protect-your-pooypail-account/436214221

Ashcan Bill
05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm not real trusting when it comes to my bank info Peter. I've had a CC linked to my PP account forever and never had a problem, and I do get rewards points.

I know of a number of instances where people got into disputes and PP took money out of bank accounts without any notice as a function of their resolution process. I figure if they don't have my bank info, they can't very well tap into my accounts without my approval.

I'm primarily a buyer though so there's really no reason for me to have anything other than a CC linked to PP. If you sell on the Bay, it might make more sense to link to an account if you want funds deposited directly.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm not real trusting when it comes to my bank info Peter. I've had a CC linked to my PP account forever and never had a problem, and I do get rewards points.

I know of a number of instances where people got into disputes and PP took money out of bank accounts without any notice as a function of their resolution process. I figure if they don't have my bank info, they can't very well tap into my accounts without my approval.

I'm primarily a buyer though so there's really no reason for me to have anything other than a CC linked to PP. If you sell on the Bay, it might make more sense to link to an account if you want funds deposited directly.

If someone sends you money thru PP, is your credit card account credited? Or is a bank account required to receive funds?

G G
05-03-2017, 04:54 PM
I have a question then. I have a Visa card that is a credit card and a debit card that is tied to my bank account. Would it be safe to link that and delete my bank account info or since it's a debit card too would that make it the same as a bank account for crooks to empty the account anyway?

pnoon
05-03-2017, 04:59 PM
I have a question then. I have a Visa card that is a credit card and a debit card that is tied to my bank account. Would it be safe to link that and delete my bank account info or since it's a debit card too would that make it the same as a bank account for crooks to empty the account anyway?

A debit card is no different than direct access to the bank account. I believe when you link that card to your PP account, it will prompt you for debit or credit.

Edit: My mistake. I just added a card I have that is both debit and credit. Immediately removed it.

G G
05-03-2017, 05:01 PM
A debit card is no different than direct access to the bank account. I believe when you link that card to your PP account, it will prompt you for debit or credit.

I was in the middle of doing it and it says Credit/Debit. I didn't add the number to it and click finish but it didn't differentiate up to that point.

G G
05-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Edit: My mistake. I just added a card I have that is both debit and credit. Immediately removed it.

So it seems that it would have to be a straight up credit card to afford the protections. Dang it, I don't have a real credit card.

massphatness
05-03-2017, 06:21 PM
If someone sends you money thru PP, is your credit card account credited? Or is a bank account required to receive funds?

Your PP account is credited & you have a balance you can use with any person/entity that accepts PP

I don't think you can move money directly to your credit card

In order to get the cash out of PP, you would need to link a bank account or request PP send you a check ($1.50 fee applies)

massphatness
05-03-2017, 06:31 PM
The biggest plus in linking a bank account as your funding source instead of a credit card is to avoid fees.

From their help article on fees (my notes in blue):

We charge fees for the following circumstances:

When you receive money from a purchase. (vs. via Friends & Family)
When you receive payments from outside your country or region.
When you send personal payments using a credit card, the sender always pays the fee.

This is the big one for me because every 5er you buy, every donation you make, etc. YOU'RE paying a fee unless there are funds in your PP acct to cover the transaction.

Transaction fees can range from 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD, and are assessed when the payment is made. If you receive a payment from outside the U.S., the fee is 3.9% + $0.30.

There is no fee when you make a purchase, or when you use your PP balance or bank account to send a personal payment.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 08:43 PM
The biggest plus in linking a bank account as your funding source instead of a credit card is to avoid fees.

From their help article on fees (my notes in blue):

We charge fees for the following circumstances:

When you receive money from a purchase. (vs. via Friends & Family)
When you receive payments from outside your country or region.
When you send personal payments using a credit card, the sender always pays the fee.

This is the big one for me because every 5er you buy, every donation you make, etc. YOU'RE paying a fee unless there are funds in your PP acct to cover the transaction.

Transaction fees can range from 2.2% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD, and are assessed when the payment is made. If you receive a payment from outside the U.S., the fee is 3.9% + $0.30.

There is no fee when you make a purchase, or when you use your PP balance or bank account to send a personal payment.

I think I'm totally confused now.
<it's not you, Vin. It's me.>

AdamJoshua
05-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Short answer funds can be sent in a check to you, you can have them deposited in your checking account (usually takes a day or less) or you can keep them in PP account as a positive balance you can spend. They do not put it on your credit card.

pnoon
05-03-2017, 09:32 PM
So I can link a credit card and/or a bank account as a "reserve"?

If I receive funds, it goes into a "****** account". Once I have a ****** account balance, I can use those funds to send and/or make payments without fees.

Is that it?

T.G
05-03-2017, 10:10 PM

If I receive funds, it goes into a "****** account". Once I have a ****** account balance, I can use those funds to send and/or make payments without fees.

Is that it?

yes.

yes.

& yes.

pnoon
05-04-2017, 08:46 AM

Is that it?

yes.

yes.

& yes.

Thanks, Adam.

I received some funds this morning and now it makes sense.
Just as I thought from my previous post and you confirmed.

pnoon
05-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Adam.

I received some funds this morning and now it makes sense.
Just as I thought from my previous post and you confirmed.
:mad:
Not a happy camper. Getting ready to close my FvckFail account.

So after receiving <$75, I have been informed that my account has had suspicious activity and in order to unfreeze the funds and allow me to do any transaction, I have to provide a photo ID and a bank statement. I've already provided my name, address, SSN, phone number, bank account (which they confirmed as mine), and a credit card.

Are they serious?

I want to close my account but I can't unlink my credit card, unlink my bank account, or even return the money that was sent to me.

I'm fvcking pissed !!!!!!!!!!

Weelok
05-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Wow, you are having an overly complicated time with poofail. They have never done that with me but I rarely receive funds and mostly pay. Perhaps that is the difference???

I would be annoyed as well.

I just got a letter from the California tax authority asking for photo IDs to validate my refund. I have heard of rampant tax fraud in California and a verification of ID being necessary so I have to assume credit and banking industries are implementing new safe guards to protect people and hopefully that explains your complications or it's just me being optimistic?

So after receiving <$75, I have been informed that my account has had suspicious activity and in order to unfreeze the funds and allow me to do any transaction, I have to provide a photo ID and a bank statement. I've already provided my name, address, SSN, phone number, bank account (which they confirmed as mine), and a credit card.

Are they serious?

I want to close my account but I can't unlink my credit card, unlink my bank account, or even return the money that was sent to me.

T.G
05-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Are they serious?

Where did the funds come from (a funded PP account or a bank transfer) and are you sure that it was the funds transfer that set off the alarms?

I've had a PP account for 15-20 years now, so I'm sure things have become more strict on the verification side since then, but I can say that once you get through the documentation, it's really pretty painless.

Modern electronic verification is a bid fickle. I buy cigars virtually every month from JR Cigars to send to the troops, I even have the JR Plus membership, I think I've had to send them a scan of my drivers license like 4 times now, maybe 5. It's like, guys, come on already...

av8tor152d
05-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Are they serious?

Agreed I would be irritated also, I have never seen such a mess with them like this in my 10 year usage, I can say that I have called them with some issues and the customer support has been top notch in my dealings.

pnoon
05-10-2017, 08:36 AM
So get this.

Last night, I sent an email indicating I wanted to return/reverse the one receipt, unlink my CC and bank account, and close my newly created PP account. This morning, I get this message back.
We are reviewing your account and unfortunately your account limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal process. Please complete the steps below:
· Provide a monthly bank statement for the bank account ending in XXXX.

The statement must show your name, address and account number exactly as they appear in your ****** account.

· Upload or fax a copy of your driver's license/passport. Please be sure that the copy is easily readable and as large as possible. Acceptable forms of a photo ID include a driver's license, passport, or any other government-issued photo identification that includes your date of birth.

Sincerely,

Azeman

****** Account Review

So, I figure enough of this nonsense. I'm going to call. I'm logged into my PP account and click the link to call them. It provides a number and a 6 digit code so that I am identified to them. I place the call. The CSR asks for my first and last name and asks how he can help. I explain the situation. He says, "You're good to go. Log out and log back in". While doing this, I ask him what was the reason for the restriction. He says, "We just needed to verify who you are." Sure enough, my account is fine now.

Can someone explain to me why fvck those knuckleheads didn't just ask me to call instead of asking for a photo ID and bank statement with my name, address, and balance?

av8tor152d
05-10-2017, 08:38 AM
So get this.

Last night, I sent an email indicating I wanted to return/reverse the one receipt, unlink my CC and bank account, and close my newly created PP account. This morning, I get this message back.
We are reviewing your account and unfortunately your account limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal process. Please complete the steps below:
· Provide a monthly bank statement for the bank account ending in XXXX.

The statement must show your name, address and account number exactly as they appear in your ****** account.

· Upload or fax a copy of your driver's license/passport. Please be sure that the copy is easily readable and as large as possible. Acceptable forms of a photo ID include a driver's license, passport, or any other government-issued photo identification that includes your date of birth.

Sincerely,

Azeman

****** Account Review

So, I figure enough of this nonsense. I'm going to call. I'm logged into my PP account and click the link to call them. It provides a number and a 6 digit code so that I am identified to them. I place the call. The CSR asks for my first and last name and asks how he can help. I explain the situation. He says, "You're good to go. Log out and log back in". While doing this, I ask him what was the reason for the restriction. He says, "We just needed to verify who you are." Sure enough, my account is fine now.

Can someone explain to me why fvck those knuckleheads didn't just ask me to call instead of asking for a photo ID and bank statement with my name, address, and balance?

They figure with all the bullcrap they ask you for your going to call and yell at them anyhow so either way they get the confirmation?? haha well at least it is all straight now.

T.G
05-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Maybe they googled your photo and saw how rude and unattractive you were.

pnoon
05-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Maybe they googled your photo and saw how rude and unattractive you were.

That could well be it?

:tg

T.G
05-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Well, it worked...

Ashcan Bill
05-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Don't feel bad Peter. The wife and I are going in Friday to the DMV to get "Real ID" licenses. Besides every legal document I possess, I'm thinking I may have to take a copy of my genealogy too.

The world is changing, and not for the better.

CigarNut
05-10-2017, 03:24 PM
This stuff only happens to you, Peter... :)