PDA

View Full Version : Brent Musburger is the absolute worst sports

TideRoll
01-01-2009, 05:28 PM
announcer in the history of broadcast sports. Everything with that twit is hyperbole and seemingly everything he comments on is the best or most or the fastest, et al. What a tool. And he never, ever shuts up. Ever.

The Rose Bowl is the ROSE BOWL. It really doesn't need additional hype. USC is clearly an excellent team with a particularly special defense, PSU has an uphill fight on their hands at this point. I admire and respect both teams and fan bases greatly. But Musburger is always trying to add something that really isn't necessary or even particularly relevant or accurate, and he is ruining this game with his constant blather. I hate to be vulgar, but I think the guy would fellate Sanchez on air if he had the opportunity, and I like USC plenty.

I'd rather listen to Billy Mays shill fabric glue for three-and-a-half hours than listen to ten minutes of Musburger.

Rant over. I feel a little better, but I don't like that guy and really, never have.

hotreds
01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Mush burger?:D

Yazzie
01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
announcer in the history of broadcast sports. Everything with that twit is hyperbole and seemingly everything he comments on is the best or most or the fastest, et al. What a tool. And he never, ever shuts up. Ever.

The Rose Bowl is the ROSE BOWL. It really doesn't need additional hype. USC is clearly an excellent team with a particularly special defense, PSU has an uphill fight on their hands at this point. I admire and respect both teams and fan bases greatly. But Musburger is always trying to add something that really isn't necessary or even particularly relevant or accurate, and he is ruining this game with his constant blather. I hate to be vulgar, but I think the guy would fellate Sanchez on air if he had the opportunity, and I like USC plenty.

I'd rather listen to Billy Mays shill fabric glue for three-and-a-half hours than listen to ten minutes of Musburger.

Rant over. I feel a little better, but I don't like that guy and really, never have.

Watching the game and couldn't agree more.....He is a total Blowhard

Clampdown
01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I dont mind Musburger, but the worst ever is Dick Vitale. I think he is having an affair with the entire Duke and UNC team, the guy drives me insane.

TideRoll
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I dont mind Musburger, but the worst ever is Dick Vitale. I think he is having an affair with the entire Duke and UNC team, the guy drives me insane.

Good point. I used to like Vitale, kind of saw him as am enthusiastic, clown prince of sorts for NCAA hoops with a little knowledge to add, but frankly, he's become so overbearing and such an outright advocate for some teams that I don't care for him any more. His opinions have stopped being intriguing and mildly provocative and are now just plain boorish.

Tombstone
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
LOL!!!! ABC and ESPN both want to blow USC. :2 I think Musburger looks like a crossdresser.

pnoon
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm so glad to hear that someone feels the way I do about this self-absorbed twit.

The sad part is that he will likely be canonized by the media when he retires or passes on.

:eevis
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Two Words..

Bill Walton!!!

I once heard him in a game go from saying that Shaq was no longer able to get the job done, to being the most dominate force the game of Basketball has ever seen. This is a few years back, before The Deisel began his downturn (not really a O'Neal fan so it is not like I really cared :ss)
The man contradicts himself constantly

MikeyC
01-01-2009, 06:16 PM
He's not a great announcer I'll grant you that, but I would have to say the WORST announcer in all of sports is Greg Gumbel. Absolutely HORRIBLE. He is closely followed by Joe Buck.

Mikey202
01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
as a Penn State fan, having to hear this guy,:( is making this game 10x worse. I still love Joe Pa. I think it was great that he wouldn't do an interview, even with the $10,000 fine.:D

Clampdown
01-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Two Words..

Bill Walton!!!

I once heard him in a game go from saying that Shaq was no longer able to get the job done, to being the most dominate force the game of Basketball has ever seen. This is a few years back, before The Deisel began his downturn (not really a O'Neal fan so it is not like I really cared :ss)
The man contradicts himself constantly

Bill Walton is a close second, i try to forget about this man but when he calls a game with Shaq I want to throw my tv out the window.

Yazzie
01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
as a Penn State fan, having to hear this guy,:( is making this game 10x worse. I still love Joe Pa. I think it was great that he wouldn't do an interview, even with the $10,000 fine.:D

Yup, it shows the Class Joe Pa has and that he is old school and wouldn't let the media make him larger than his team or the game

Tombstone
01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
What about Vern Lungquist. He laughs at EVERYTHING.

Cigary
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
He's not a great announcer I'll grant you that, but I would have to say the WORST announcer in all of sports is Greg Gumbel. Absolutely HORRIBLE. He is closely followed by Joe Buck.

Bingo,,,,Joe Buck was quoted as saying he wasn't really thrilled about doing baseball play by play anymore. Gimmee a break,,for a guy who basically never played and comes in on the heels of somebody who gave him a chance ( his daddy ) to do a game when he was barely in his twenties,,,,and makes millions of dollars on something he doesn't really like doing? He can bend over and take a hike. Brent Cheeseburger,,,this guy needs to hang it up and let somebody else make the calls.

forgop
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I hate Brent Musburger with a mic. I'm a Purdue alum and every time he does a Purdue game, he refers to our coach as "Matty" even though nobody else does. He's such a tool.

This is the ONLY good thing for Brenty: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/sioncampus/11/28/campus.quick.slants/

chippewastud79
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Jon Madden. Sorry Jon, but your color commentary is terrible and I could really do without the circles of butt sweat and grass stuck in helmets. Someone needs to explain to him that a few things have changed since he was a coach and he cannot break down defenses like he thinks he can. Butt sweat doth not equal hard work and grass stuck in helemts, is alas, merely a sign that a player hit the ground and not that he hit hard. :bh

Also, Bill Walton, his comparison to the hard working players of yesterday are nothing even comparable. And heaven forbid he ever covers one of his sons games and tells you all about how he raised them and how they all love The Greatfull Dead. :hn

atlharp
01-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Actually,

The thing that gets me is listening to the gushing butt-licking by announcers when they call a game for USC. I swear, everytime I hear a game it sounds like the announcers can't wait to run out of the booth and get autographs. It only gets worse if they are calling a game with McNabb in it.........:bh

ATL

atlharp
01-01-2009, 08:32 PM

On a more positive note I thought when Bryant Gumbel was calling games for NFL network in the past he did a great job. The best play caller is still Al Micheals- why can't they all be like Al?

ATL

Swampper
01-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Amen!

I watched the Rose Bowl with my 86 year old father today, and we both agreed to keep the volume turned off. BM can ruin any event, and too often he is the announcer for a major OU game.

BTW, it's not just our country. There is a guy named Steve Rider that is on ITV in the UK. He is just as obnoxious and BM.

Great thread! I feel better now. Had a horrible day. :hn

TideRoll
01-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Not just a huge fan of either Greg or Bryant Gumble for that matter. They're tolerable only so long as they don't have the opportunity to express their personal opinions in more than one sentence fragments.

Joe Buck isn't a third as good as he thinks he is, and he really doesn't add much at all to a broadcast. A "Joe" I don't care for is Joe Morgan, but at least he has some idea of what he is talking about. He just doesn't think anybody else knows anything. Madden should have taken the Frank Calliendo thing with more grace. Bill Walton... I see what you're saying, but since I was a Celts fan when I was a kid I probably have a higher threshold for him, too. Lunquist seems to know only what he was told within the hour before the broadcast. Gary Danielson is obviously knowledgeable, but has the tact of a rhino and I find myself oscillating with respect to him.

I liked Jackson, Gifford, Dandy Don was fun. I like Al Michaels, I liked Pat Summerall a lot. Jim McCay did his job well without trying to become part of the story. Speaking of which, Cossell was irritating of course, but I was still a kid during his prime so I didn't really get too hacked off by him. Vin Scully always did a very nice job. Bob Costas doesn't impress me as much as he does others, but I don't dislike him. I used to love to hear Harry Carey call a game. I happen to like Dick Enberg calling tennis.

silentjon
01-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Musburger is my least favorite announcer. I can not stand him.:c

massphatness
01-02-2009, 05:35 AM
My vote for worst sports announcer goes to Joe Morgan. It is literally painful to listen to his analysis of baseball games.

Tombstone
01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
My vote for worst sports announcer goes to Joe Morgan. It is literally painful to listen to his analysis of baseball games.

I agree. When he did the Jackie Robinson special i almost vomited.:fl

cort
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Whats wrong with him hyping up SC??;)

He is damn annoying. But gotta love the results of the game.

I vote for Dan Fouts as the worst ever. I cannot stand that fool. He says the same thing about 97 times per game. Also he has had that beard since his college days. Everytime a game is on and I hear Fouts I reach for the mute button.

gettysburgfreak
01-02-2009, 07:07 PM
TIM MCGARVER is by far the worst announcer. His comments are terrible, he makes the most obvious observations. I also dislike Musburger, Madden, and Vitale. All are terribly annoying with uninspiring commentary

rizzle
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
LOL!!!! ABC and ESPN both want to blow USC. :2 I think Musburger looks like a crossdresser.

X2

And yes, Brent Muskrat blows.

blugill
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Alright bucking the apparent trend here I'm going to stick up for Brent Musberger. I really like his laid back style and his voice is mellow and soothing. He is one of the premier play by play men out there today outside of Al Michaels.

Brent is almost on par with Keith Jackson in my rather unpopular opinion but I do enjoy him.

I suppose it is a lot like cigars, you enjoy what you enjoy.

jgros001
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I was looking for something and came across this (for some odd reason).....Brent Musburger is far and away my favorite announcer.....I love his style, voice, and what I would call a laid-back passion (not the overthetop Vitale passion). His college basketball work is a bit better than football, I think. He just seems like someone I could sit at the bar and throw back a couple and talk sports, and that is what I want from an announcer.....not someone who seems to be too good for the general public (Nance)....just as dry and boring as can be (Gumble)....too loud (Vitale)....too full of himself (Buck).....too opinionated (Packer)......Musburger just has that old time announcing quality that reminds me of the likes of Ernie Harwell and that generation of calling a game.