PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Arizona & Guitars anyone?

FriendlyMan
02-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Good morning friends,

It is a real long long time since I posted in here last.
I'm feel like a stranger around here
I hope everyone is doing fine.

I'm flying to Tucson Arizona this evening. I'm learning how to play guitar. Yes, it's never to late.
Plus my daughter plays guitar as well.

Instead of dragging along a huge guitar I was thinking of buying a travel guitar so we could both practice.
So I'm thinking maybe it's worth just buying it there, so I don't have to worry about the way going
Any know of a good place in Tucson where I might find a good deal?
Or some one suggested maybe across the Mexican border.

I'm not sure I want to go through the border, what do you think about this idea?
And would they let me even bring it back in?
And I dont mind buying it local if possible?

Your experienced input would be appreciated.
All the best

Porch Dweller
02-12-2017, 08:55 AM
It's been a while since I've been in Tucson; I lived there from '98-'01. But the two places I liked were Rainbow Guitars and Sticks & Strings. The staff at both places was always helpful and knowledgeable. There are lots of inexpensive, quality guitars and they should be able to help you find one that meets your needs. Again, though, that was 16 years ago; hopefully their businesses haven't declined since then.

You could get a cheapie in Mexico, but it's about a 2-2.5 hour round-trip drive to Nogales. So you have to balance the cost vs. your time and gas. You'd have no problems bringing the guitar back in.

FriendlyMan
02-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks,
I was thinking of maybe making it a day trip.

icehog3
02-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Nice to "see" you, Jack! :)

FriendlyMan
02-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks, same here.

Nazgul
02-12-2017, 10:56 AM
As a musician and teacher myself, I have some insight on purchasing an instrument:

First and perhaps most important, you may have difficulty playing a travel sized (typically 3/4 scale) guitar due to its reduced size. Now, this may not be the case, but if you have the typical beefy man hands as many men in their later years do, this could create issues. I currently have a young female student in her 20's with average-sized hands and she's been having difficulty with her 3/4 scale guitar, so that might be a good point of reference. This may or may not apply to you; certainly try out the instrument before you buy!

Secondly, you would be well-off to purchase a "hard case" (as opposed to a soft case), especially if you intend to travel with it. I recommend this to all of my students regardless of whether they will travel great distances or not, because even a slight bump or ding to a soft case can result in structural damage to the instrument.

Finally, you may get a better deal down in Mexico but do not be wary of instruments from reputable stores that are "Made in Mexico" (MIM). The factories down there often put out quality instruments and instrument parts, at a fraction of the cost of American-made pieces. Same goes for "Made in Japan" (MIJ) instruments.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to pm me