PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Vacation Destinations

Nazgul
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Howdy folks. Got a week and a bit off coming up (Feb 18-26) and I'm looking for recommendations for a short trip. Ideally it would involve laying on a beach, drinking and smoking cigars for 5-7 days. Let's say a budget of $2,000.

Where would you send me?

massphatness
02-03-2017, 03:08 PM
I love me some beach time in St. Thomas.

Our go to destination there is Wyndham Bluebeard's Beach Club (NOT Bluebeard's Castle). It's part of a Wyndham timeshare we own, so I don't have a feel for pricing or availability, but it's not high end. In fact, it's little bit dumpy in that there aren't great amenities onsite like full service restaurants and drink service on the beach itself. However, it is a GREAT place to relax. While all beaches in the USVI are public, you can't get to the beach at Bluebeard's unless you're staying at the resort as it's hidden by two good sized rocky jettys that stick out into the ocean. And it's SMALL!! Maybe 85 condo-style units on the resort. No big crowds - a huge plus if you're like me and can't stand people.

I'm an early riser and grab one of the first come, first serve open-air cabanas just off the beach. I have some coffee, a couple of cigars and relax until my wife makes her way down. When it starts to get hot, we take a dip in the ocean then more relax time in the cabana until the iguanas start to come down from the trees and scamper about. That's around lunch time, and a fat guy's gotta eat, so we go find a nice place to stuff my piehole.

Back to the beach in the afternoon with maybe some poolside cocktails thrown in before hunting down some Caribbean cuisine at night.

We usually do a 3-4 night get away to recharge the batteries every year, and it's pretty damn perfect.

Here's a shot of the beach from the Welcome Center. You can see the resort's condo-style units in the background.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/524/31848032864_b5350b5f5e.jpg

This is the view from the cabana:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/553/31848032384_aa67d9f44c.jpg

The dogs on the island look weird:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/420/31848033504_43474e7e3d.jpg

My :2 Good luck with the vacation search!

mahtofire14
02-05-2017, 09:15 AM
My two favorite vacations so far are Puerto Vallerta Mex, and a cruise through the Greek Isles. PV is one of the least expensive places to go on an all inclusive vacation but is probably my favorite places to go. Great food, great adventures to go on, and some of the best deep sea fishing around if you're into that.

Remo
02-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Don't all cigar smoking canucks go to Cuba? Lucky bastage!

Nazgul
02-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, making my decision harder but more informed!

My two favorite vacations so far are Puerto Vallerta Mex, and a cruise through the Greek Isles. PV is one of the least expensive places to go on an all inclusive vacation but is probably my favorite places to go. Great food, great adventures to go on, and some of the best deep sea fishing around if you're into that.

Added PV to the list, looks like a contender!

Don't all cigar smoking canucks go to Cuba? Lucky bastage!

Many of my colleagues do go down, it's on my list

Remo
02-05-2017, 01:48 PM
What part of Canada? Are plane tickets part of the budget? I love Belize, Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker is where I would be :tu

Nazgul
02-05-2017, 02:02 PM
What part of Canada? Are plane tickets part of the budget? I love Belize, Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker is where I would be :tu

Southern Ontario. Tickets will likely be half or more of the budget. Don't have a ton to spend as I'm returning to school for the next few years. Gotta get it out of my system before I get locked down! :tu

massphatness
02-05-2017, 02:26 PM
What about Bree?

The Prancing Pony has a helluva happy hour.

Nazgul
02-05-2017, 02:35 PM
What about Bree?

You guys are always on with the LOTR references, I'm finally home

mahtofire14
02-05-2017, 02:41 PM
What about Bree?

:r

mosesbotbol
02-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Israel, Abu Dhabi, or Singapore. Longer flights, but great once you are there.

Israel beaches can't be beat. Flights are reasonable. Good food, plenty of eye candy. May not exactly be beach season in your time frame though.

Singapore has good beaches, easy to fly to Maldives or somewhere else crazy for cheap. Amazing hotel pools. Best food you'll taste in that corner of the world. Best cigar selections in the world. Bigger selection of cigars than Cuba.

Abu Dhabi Plenty of beaches and amazing hotels. Can stay at the Ritz Carlton for like $150 a night and has largest swimming pool in Middle East. Very cigar friendly and awesome food.

markem
02-06-2017, 08:29 AM
We haven't been there in a while, but the place is pure relaxation. It's an all inclusive resort, so food, booze, etc. are all included in the room price.

http://rexresorts.com/antigua/hawksbill/

Not great snorkeling but good swimming and sailing. We stayed in a beach bungalow. Rustic but pretty amazing.