PDA

View Full Version : Hard Draw

JJKJR
01-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I've been a cigar smoker for the past 6 or so years. I don't know if it is just me but over the past 1-2 years I've noticed overall that the cigars that I've bought have been hard to draw. When I first started smoking a hard draw cigar was a rare occurrence. Now it's a 50/50 proposition. I can usually get the draw right with the Perfect Draw but have cigar rollers changed their techniques over time? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Chainsaw13
01-24-2017, 07:10 PM
What humidity are you storing your cigars at? Too high and that could lead to a tighter draw.

AdamJoshua
01-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Yes, I was going to ask if this was across all brands you smoke or do you just keep a small rotation, are these cigars you own and store or cigars at a B&M that you pick up, etc., there could be a great many variables in play.

JJKJR
01-25-2017, 03:59 AM
These are cigars that I own and keep in my humidor. It can happen with all my cigars across the board. Chainsaw13, I believe you might be on to something that my humidity is too high. My humidity usually runs 68%. I'm thinking of lowering it to 66% to see what happens.

CoffeeWaterBeer
01-25-2017, 06:30 AM
68% seems relatively low to cause that much expansion though. I do 64% (don't yell at me, it works ;) )and still come across sticks hanging on the tighter side, not 50/50 though.

Have you considered dry-boxing them for a few days if you know what you're going to smoke ahead of time?

dave
01-25-2017, 07:20 AM
I, too, think that high RH might be the cause....but as I consider your post, I'm a little surprised that I cannot recall the last time I needed a draw poker...I used to need one once every few weeks...now, its more like a couple times a year. Not sure if its because of my storage, or quality of construction, or quality of cigars, or a combination of all three.

JJKJR
01-25-2017, 08:12 AM
CWB, good point with the dry boxing which probably points to too high of a RH. This past weekend I intended on having a cigar and put one in a cigar case in my truck. I never got around to having that cigar and forgot that it was in the case for 3 days. When I opened the case to put another cigar in I saw that 3 day old "dry boxed cigar." It smoked perfectly without needing to use a draw stick.

jjirons69
01-27-2017, 09:15 AM
This time of the year my house is in the 40-50 RH range. Perfect for dry boxing. Also, I keep the stash around 64 RH and everything seems well. I know what cigars I need to work with, as the first few from a box are aggravating so any time I want one of them I know to box them for several days. Fool me once. Good luck, Joe.