PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Second Rule

AdamJoshua
06-30-2016, 11:20 PM
We all know of the 5 second rule, my question is can you drop something over and over and you get 5 seconds each time or is it more like the Omega 13 Device from Galaxy Quest, a very power tool yet you can only use it once? Quite frankly it wouldn't make sense to get 5 seconds every drop, pretty much defeats the purpose.

For those of you that question what the rule is: "In folklore, the five-second rule states that food (or sometimes cutlery) dropped on the ground will not be significantly contaminated with bacteria if it is picked up within five seconds of being dropped."

T.G
06-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Lot of alcohol at the S.H.I.T. herf tonight, eh?

MarkinAZ
06-30-2016, 11:31 PM
...my question is can you drop something over and over and you get 5 seconds each time...

I believe the "item dropped" receives the automatic reset. Of course, one has to think of the "value" of that item when dropped for the second time or more.

Then again, if one is dropping an item more than 2 times, having your dexterity checked may be in order;)

AdamJoshua
07-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Alas, the ice tea was neither Long Island or potent.

All good points, Mark, again the issue with that is just getting a fresh 5 seconds each time nullifies the "magic" of the rule itself, it would seem they would all just stack, this would not be good for someone with palsy, I mean if you needed a demographic for the dexterity issue.

Porch Dweller
07-01-2016, 06:08 AM
It's definitely item specific. One M&M? You get five and only five seconds. The last piece of venison jerky and hunting season just ended so it'll be a long time before you can make some more? Your five seconds resets.
:D

8lug
07-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Automatic reset. You get a fresh 5 with every drop. Providing the second drop is not within the original 5.