PDA

View Full Version : Back After Years - Cigar Recommendation Request

IlmProcess
06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I used to purchase and smoke frequently about 10 years ago. I came back again about 4 years ago and the habit faded again.

Well, I've started up again and the NC industry seems to have changed a lot since I last knew names, trends, and trusted cigar lines. I've spent the last few days reading a few cigar-review blogs, some of the forum, looking at the major online retailers to get a sense for new names, etc. but personal recommendations are always more helpful and help me get a more precise direction.

I little about my taste: I prefer smaller rg-cigars - petite coronas, coronas, lonsdales, lanceros - but will smoke 50 and 52 rg because this seems to be a sweet spot for many manufacturers in terms of popularity.

I used to smoke a lot of Padron Londres, Don Pepin Garcia Original and Cuban Classic, Torano 1916 Cameroon, Rocky Patel Sungrown, Oliva Serie G, V, and Master Blends III, Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte, Partagas Spanish Rosado. I didn't include non-NC's because I'm not sure of the rules.

I am wondering if you all can suggest a few of your personal favourites - especially some of the lines that have come out in the last 4 years - that might align with the tastes given above (though, yes, it is a bit wide-ranging).

I've also noticed that cigars seem to be a bit more expensive than I remember. If you can provide the bulk of your suggestions in the 4-9 dollar range, that'd be great.

Thanks,
T

jjirons69
06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
The one thing I don't like about the way the things are heading is the smaller ring sizes seem to be fading away. My BIL wanted some PC or coronas for our upcoming trip and you can look around til you're blue in the face trying to find these smaller sizes. Everything is robustos and larger. CCs offer more variety in those smaller sizes, but he just wants a fiver or tenner for the river and yard gars. Lonsdales and lanceros will soon be a thing of the past. Sorry, Trent, no recommendations, but I will go ahead and complain about the larger ring sizes for you, as you'll notice it, too. Welcome back to the leaf and enjoy your "new" adventure.

jledou
06-28-2016, 12:32 PM
A couple to throw out there that should also have some smaller rg available. Illusione Epernay line, The Surrogates, Cabiaguan and La Casita Criolla.

Weelok
06-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Illisione CG4, L'Atelier Special Select, and Fratello, and Casa Fernandez are some of my favorites although I don't generally go for the coronas and Casa Fernandez doesn't even roll one but the other three do and they are excellent, perhaps the sweet spot in the brand?

I know Illusione blends to the corona size specifically but the L'Atelier was amazingly good in that size.

Porch Dweller
06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Here are some smaller RG smokes I enjoy:
- Four Kicks Seleccion no. 5
- Room 101 Daruma Papi Chulo and San Andres Papi Chulo
- Alec Bradley American Sungrown Corona
- Tatuaje El Triunfador No. 1, No. 3, No. 5, or No. 6
- RomaCraft Cromagnon Anthropology and Aquitane Anthropology
- Cabaiguan Guapos, both natural and maduro
- Herrera Esteli Short Corona
- Ave Maria Clermont
- Undercrown Corona Viva
- La Duena No.7 and No. 9
- El Original Corona Maduro (available from Island Smoke Shop)
- Illusione makes many smaller RG smokes, all are worth trying

Wharf Rat
06-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Over the last few tears, a blender / maker named A. J. Fernandez has become more prominent. He makes a little petit corona named, "Puro Authentico" you might like. I partcularley like his "Enclave" which is a 52 RG, I think.

IlmProcess
06-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the information and recommendations.

There are a good many lines that seem to only roll 52+. In the past I felt that smaller rg cigars burned a bit warmer and had a more accented flavour than others - but I could be incorrect about that. I also tend to have trouble keeping larger rg cigars burning straight - any tips, or is that just how it goes if you are a slower and lighter smoker?

Also, most of the cigars recommended and most that I've read about seem to be in the 7-10 dollar range. Are there any decent cigars under 5 dollars anymore, or has the standard cost risen across the board?

--

I wanted to share the list I've compiled - many from the recommendations above - and some from a day or two of reading cigar blogs and reviews.

If any of you have highlights or cigars you absolutely can't stand in the list, I'm open to listening - of course everyone's taste is different, so that's factored in.

I really enjoy the cherry and raisin flavours I get out of some cigars. If some of you have experience with those flavours in some of the list below, I'll bump them on the priority list.

Thanks again and I hope the list below is useful for folks:

Under 8:

1. AJ Fernandez New World Connecticut Corona Gorda
2. Alec Bradley American Classic Sun Grown Corona
3. Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva
4. Arturo Fuente Hemingway
5. Ave Maria Original Clermont
6. Avo Domaine No. 30
7. Avo Heritage Short Corona
8. Camacho Evuador Robusto
9. Crowned Heads Four Kicks Seleccion No. 5
10. Curivari Buenaventura
11. Drew Estate Nica Rustica Short Robusto
12. Drew Estate Undercrown Corona Viva
13. El Original Corona Maduro (available from Island Smoke Shop)
14. Fratello Corona
15. Oliva Master Blends III (Holt’s Sampler)
16. Illusione Classic CG:4
17. Illusione Classic 68 Petite Corona
18. Illusione Epernay
19. J. Fuego Origen
20. Joya de Nicaragua Cuenca y Blanco
21. Joya de Nicaragua Red Short Churchill
22. L’Atelier Surrogates (keep in mind cherry notes)
23. La Duena No.7 and No. 9
24. La Palina Red Label Petit Lancero
25. Ortega Serie D Maduro and Natural
26. Padron Classic
27. Para Ti Original
28. RoMa Craft Aquitaine Breuil and Anthropology
29. RoMa Craft CroMagnon Breuil and Anthropology
30. RoMa Craft Intemperance BA XXI Intrigue
31. RoMa Craft Intemperance EC XVIII Charity
32. Room 101 Daruma Papi Chulo
33. Room 101 San Andres Papi Chulo
34. Tatuaje Cabaiguan
35. Tatuaje El Triunfador No. 4
36. Tatuaje Fausto
37. Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

Over 8:

1. Drew Estate Undercrown Shade
2. Foundation El Güegüense
3. Fratello Bianco
4. Herrera Esteli Nicaraguan Short Corona Gorda
5. L'Atelier Special Select
6. Punch Signature
7. Room 101 Johnny Tobacconaut
8. Tatuaje Avion
9. Tatuaje Monsters
10. Viaje Platino Primo

T

Weelok
06-29-2016, 08:07 PM
That is one hell of a list. To get them affordable, I think many would recommend Cigarbid and these days I use Atlantic cigar because I paid to be a VIP and the discounts make many much more affordable.

IlmProcess
06-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Seems cigar auctioneer has more of these sizes, currently anyway. Won a few fivers today, AF brevas, Cabaiguan Coronas extra, and Four kicks Robusto.

No way I will be able to purchase all of these or even a quarter of them anytime soon on my small budget, but it gives me a list to work from over time. Humidor has been empty for a few years save two celebration sticks, time to fill it up. :)