PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Developments and non-Cuban Cigars

alfredo_buscatti
05-29-2016, 12:33 PM
There are a great deal of choices available to today’s cigar smoker, but anyone who is even moderately interested in cigars must make the decision whether or not to pursue the storied Cubans.

Looming large in that consideration is the December 2014 reestablishment of ties between thee US and Cuba, and the relaxing of several trade barriers; yet most of the provisions of the embargo remain. In any case the rationale for this historical divide became meaningless with the fall of the USSR in 1991. As of March 16 this year the Council on Foreign Relations, an independent, nonpartisan membership organization, think tank, and publisher, said that the trade embargo is unlikely to be lifted any time soon, and a February 24 report this year by Reuters said that this is due to Congressional intolerance for Cuba’s government and the difficulties it visits on its people.

Were Cubans legal the following remarks would have no value, but as we have seen that status is not going to happen anytime soon.

The biggest criticism of Cubans is quality control, especially that construction is weak. On the other hand the soil in the Vuelta Abajo has long been considered the best in the world for cigar tobacco. Also, though many of the cigar industry fled the island in 1962, those that remained apparently passed on their skills. The industry ranks 18th worldwide.

Many observe that Cubans aren’t better, but different. But price counterfeits oppose enthusiastic consumption. Procurement is not publicly discussed on the cigar boards. The long and short of it is that one has to trust what someone tells him, that vendor X sells the genuine article and then transfer that trust to the vendor, who trusts the intermediary that buys the cigars. Entire threads on Cuban boards discuss counterfeits at length, opinions resting on the quality of the maker’s stamp or details in the band, etc. Certainly dedicated smokers know how the Partagas D4 that they are currently enjoying compares to their conglomerate memory of the D4s past, which would appear to be the only valid test for authentication.

Counterfeits can be very good, but they aren’t what you ordered!

Many who want to smoke daily are challenged to afford their tobacco unless they go over budget or smoke cheap. But the auction sites offer the remedy of prices 20-40% below the discount cigar retailers. They offer a wide variety of cigars, but not every cigar, and the preferred size may not be available. The auctions sites have drawbacks, but price is not one of them.

The smart money would then appear to be on non-Cubans bought at auction, especially given that to acquire Cuban chops able to discern the real deal takes time and money. Why bother? Why not smoke non-Cuban and smoke up?

The bottom line then for those persuaded are the many fine cigars available from the Dominican Republic (DR) and Nicaragua. In the DR Arturo Fuente and Avo, among others, and Tatuaje, Drew Estate, Padron and My Father Cigars, also among others, in Nicaragua.

In the DR Arturo Fuente cigars are said to be made with relentless quality control, and they are a staple in both B&M and online humidors. The Don Carlos Belicoso was rated 4 in “Cigar Aficionado’s” top 25 in 2015. The magazine states that the Cameroon wrapper “tends to be quite expensive, rough in appearance and temperamental during the fermentation process” but is prized nonetheless for its “sweet and sour flavors.”

Another DR star is the Avo XO. Depending on which review you read, the cigar is rated in the low to high 80s.

From Nicaragua, the Pardon Anniversary 1926 and 1964 maduros are some of the highest of the high-end cigars. The ’26 blend is delightfully complex while the ’64 remains a more monochromatic maduro with a flavor sweet, toasty, earthy and profound. The exquisite tobacco in the Padron, aged four years, costs, but consider the price of heaven. Smoke up, smoke less; perhaps smoke cheap tomorrow.

Tatuaje cost more, but many smokers feel that that given the quality of the tobacco and the blends, that they are entirely worth it. The Brown Label established the company and such cigars as the Belle Encre 10 Year Commemorative, the Brown Label with a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, which grounds the cigar’s flavor with earth, and La Riqueza, the richest and most flavorful cigar this writer has smoked, add to what has become a line of focused excellence.

The Drew Estate Liga Privada #9 is pricy, dark and smooth, not full-flavored as the Padron ’64 but every bit as delectable.

The My Father Original (formerly Blue) is a fine blend with full body, and a steal if bought from auction, while the Le Bijou 1922, also full-bodied, with complex flavors similar to the Avo XO, is balanced by chocolate.

So many great cigars to smoke!

pnoon
05-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Is this post your own? Or are you quoting an article you read?

markem
05-29-2016, 01:50 PM
A very US-centric, market protectionist piece of propaganda sold to wiling dupes by "those in the know". Strange how people who make a comfortable living off denigrating and disparaging the CC marketplace all seem to have access to indisputable evidence that says "buy us, we're so much better no matter what you know".

I truly love this part:

Were Cubans legal the following remarks would have no value, but as we have seen that status is not going to happen anytime soon.

The biggest criticism of Cubans is quality control, especially that construction is weak.

The author is saying that if Cubans were legal (read: the author was making money off them) then criticisms of quality control, etc. would have no value. E.g., it would not be in the best interest of the vendor.

Me thinks that thou doth protest too much.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thou%20doth%20protest%20too%20much

mahtofire14
05-29-2016, 02:05 PM
:po

The Poet
05-29-2016, 02:37 PM
I see about 8 ways to get in trouble on this thread. I'm out. :lv

Porch Dweller
05-29-2016, 02:48 PM
https://lynettenoni.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/popcorn.jpg

nutcracker
05-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Mike - that's a nice summary I think. Caveat emptor with CCs, esp for you bods south of the 49th.
Agree - they are "different" - but those of us who have been exposed to the as our earliest cigars are often hooked.
One can only hope the market becomes more legitimate for you guys.
Then time will tell.....

cbsmokin
05-29-2016, 04:56 PM
There are fantastic cigars from every region. Like most other things in life, the choice is personal. Personally the 03 Sig VI I am currently enjoying seems like the right choice for me.

T.G
05-29-2016, 07:35 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/012/035/CarlinRelevantToInterests.jpg

icehog3
05-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I like Cubans.

I sure hope they aren't fakes.

mosesbotbol
05-30-2016, 07:24 AM
This is like pissing on French wines. Sure, every wine region has their list of some great wines and vineyards, but it's still France that has "the best". It's the country that is a benchmark against all other wines. The only country with wines that sell for the price of cars all the time.

Doctorossi
07-01-2016, 01:43 PM
The biggest criticism of Cubans is quality control, especially that construction is weak. On the other hand the soil in the Vuelta Abajo has long been considered the best in the world for cigar tobacco. Also, though many of the cigar industry fled the island in 1962, those that remained apparently passed on their skills. The industry ranks 18th worldwide.

:confused:

Wha?!

The Poet
07-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Wha?!

Hey, he didn't say which world. :D

Subvet642
07-01-2016, 07:43 PM
I make up my own mind about everything and I know what I like. I smoke cheap-ass CC's and like them better than expensive NC's I've smoked. For me, it's no contest. I don't think anyone is counterfeiting Joey Petes or LFdC's so I will continue to buy with confidence.

pnoon
07-01-2016, 07:58 PM
I make up my own mind about everything and I know what I like. I smoke cheap-ass CC's and like them better than expensive NC's I've smoked. For me, it's no contest. I don't think anyone is counterfeiting Joey Petes or LFdC's so I will continue to buy with confidence.

WTF is a Joey Pete?

icehog3
07-01-2016, 08:01 PM
WTF is a Joey Pete?

Jose Piedra. ;)

pnoon
07-01-2016, 08:05 PM
WTF is a Joey Pete?

Jose Piedra. ;)
Really?
José Piedra would be Joey Stone.
Joey Pete would be José Pedro.

Subvet642
07-02-2016, 03:08 AM
Really?
José Piedra would be Joey Stone.
Joey Pete would be José Pedro.

I saw someone else call them that. :sh The point is that they're too cheap to bother counterfeiting.

pnoon
07-02-2016, 08:20 AM
I saw someone else call them that. :sh The point is that they're too cheap to bother counterfeiting.

No doubt.

But calling them Joey Pete is silly. :2

Subvet642
07-02-2016, 01:59 PM
No doubt.

But calling them Joey Pete is silly. :2

Yes it is, but aren't nicknames supposed to be a bit silly? Besides, using their full name seems a bit too grand for what they are.

pnoon
07-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes it is, but aren't nicknames supposed to be a bit silly? Besides, using their full name seems a bit too grand for what they are.

Then my vote would be to call them Joey Stone. Silly - but makes sense. Joey Pete makes no sense.

The Poet
07-02-2016, 07:36 PM
I see about 8 ways to get in trouble on this thread. I'm out. :lv

Make that 9. :D

markem
07-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Then my vote would be to call them Joey Stone. Silly - but makes sense. Joey Pete makes no sense.

Lighten up, Francis. :D

AdamJoshua
07-02-2016, 10:50 PM
I vote for Joey Bag o' Donuts and his buddy Squids Marinara

Subvet642
07-03-2016, 05:38 AM

For some reason this means a lot to you, so from now on I'll just call them JLP's. :D Which reminds me: I'm out and need to buy some more.

Subvet642
07-03-2016, 05:46 AM

:tu

8zeros
07-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Peter means "rock", so it makes a full circle.
I'm going to go smoke a Fer Larry right now.

pnoon
07-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Peter means "rock", so it makes a full circle.
I'm going to go smoke a Fer Larry right now.

:tu :)

icehog3
07-03-2016, 04:54 PM
For some reason this means a lot to you, so from now on I'll just call them JLP's. :D Which reminds me: I'm out and need to buy some more.

I have been out of Joey Petes for a long while now. :D

mahtofire14
07-03-2016, 05:53 PM

Don't forget about Dusty Trunks........:gary