PDA

View Full Version : The Artist Prince Formerly Alive?

The Poet
04-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Details are sketchy, but reports are out that Prince's body was found at his Paisley Studio. Will try to update if more facts are forthcoming.

Chainsaw13
04-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Just reading that. Damn, that sucks.

The Poet
04-21-2016, 11:24 AM
TMZ and Fox are confirming this.

CigarNut
04-21-2016, 11:29 AM
May He Rest In Peace.

AdamJoshua
04-21-2016, 11:33 AM
He'll be making b!tches pancakes in heaven. Rest in Peace.

AdamJoshua
04-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Figure this is worth posting, arguably the greatest Super Bowl halftime performance we'll ever see.

https://youtu.be/7NN3gsSf-Ys

The Poet
04-21-2016, 11:56 AM
His talent as a musician, a singer, and a songwriter was better than most and second to few. I often have a problem when someone calls himself an artist, but in his case he had every right. This is a sad loss.

Porch Dweller
04-21-2016, 12:11 PM
He was a very underrated guitar player; he could absolutely shred when he wanted to. Thanks for the music, RIP.

HollywoodQue
04-21-2016, 12:35 PM
:eek:

AdamJoshua
04-21-2016, 12:41 PM
I don't know about underrated as a guitarist.

The Poet
04-21-2016, 12:57 PM
FWIW, Rolling Stone once put Prince at #33 on the all-time greatest guitar players list. When you consider how many guys (and a few gals too) who picked up an axe, that ain't shabby.

nutcracker
04-21-2016, 01:16 PM
When asked what it feels like to be the best guitarist alive, Eric Clapton said, "I don't know. Ask Prince."

mahtofire14
04-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Rough day here in the Twin Cities. The man could do everything. He was always popping up random places around town, doing surprise shows in parks etc. He was a beast. This is my favorite Prince moment. Look at the other musicians faces while he is playing. Says it all.
http://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Adriftpanda
04-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Game... Blouses!

icehog3
04-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Saw him live around 2003 or 2004. My ex asked me to buy tickets, I had no idea how hard he could rock until then. I thought of him more for the dance music, but man could that cat play the guitar. R.I.P., Prince, the world just got a little less interesting.

mahtofire14
04-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Saw him live around 2003 or 2004. My ex asked me to buy tickets, I had no idea how hard he could rock until then. I thought of him more for the dance music, but man could that cat play the guitar. R.I.P., Prince, the world just got a little less interesting.

I thought the same thing Tom. He could shred....

Porch Dweller
04-21-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't know about underrated as a guitarist.

When someone asks you about the all-time greats, you really don't think of Prince, though, do you? In spite of Rolling Stone, and the quote Nutcracker posted from Clapton, he's just not thought of as a "Guitar God" in the way that people like Clapton, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Van Halen, etc. are. I think it's because he primarily recorded in the pop and dance genres, but he could shred like nobody's business.

This is giving me an idea for a thread...

icehog3
04-21-2016, 03:37 PM
When someone asks you about the all-time greats, you really don't think of Prince, though, do you? In spite of Rolling Stone, and the quote Nutcracker posted from Clapton, he's just not thought of as a "Guitar God" in the way that people like Clapton, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Van Halen, etc. are. I think it's because he primarily recorded in the pop and dance genres, but he could shred like nobody's business.

This is giving me an idea for a thread...

"Great quotes by Nutcracker"?

Porch Dweller
04-21-2016, 03:50 PM

That would be a list of him giggling at the carnage from his sustained bombing campaigns. :D

nutcracker
04-21-2016, 03:53 PM

You cruisin' for a bruisin', eh Tom?

nutcracker
04-21-2016, 03:54 PM
That would be a list of him giggling at the carnage from his sustained bombing campaigns. :D

Oh - the best one ever hits round about Monday.

nutcracker
04-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Anyway no more thread hijacking. I heard he was a J.W. of late. Had he moved on again?
Always a colourful and interesting character.

He wasan excellent guitarist.

No one had him in the celebrity dead pool I suppose?

Tio Gato
04-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Anyway no more thread hijacking. I heard he was a J.W. of late. Had he moved on again?
Always a colourful and interesting character.

He wasan excellent guitarist.

No one had him in the celebrity dead pool I suppose?

Sorry to be obtuse, but I was wondering what you meant by "moved on again" and the relation to the JW faith? Not to be an azzhat, but I know nothing about Witness followers and what they believe.

Thank you if you can enlighten me.

icehog3
04-21-2016, 05:30 PM
You cruisin' for a bruisin', eh Tom?

You've already bruised me badly, I gots the Wheeler sweater to prove it.

Dave128
04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
An extremely talented artist gone way too soon. Rest In Peace, Prince.

AdamJoshua
04-22-2016, 01:40 PM
He really was amazingly talented, I saw an interview and someone said you could be having a meal with him and he would just get up, walk away and go to the studio because a melody would come to him and he would have to start working on it that very second. You see the interviews with him and while he as very private people labeled him as weird, which might be, yet when you hear him talk he was very soft spoken and probably more normal than 75% the people you meet every day.

He never stopped being a small town Minnesota boy, hell at his house / studio they would have guest DJs and anyone could show up for free concerts, he would play now and then and try out new songs, he was someone who gave back to the community in so many ways. If that's weird then the world can use a hell of a lot more weird.

< rant>If it turns out to be an OD from pain killers that would be a shame, pharmaceutical companies really need to introduce non-addictive painkillers, yet so much of their profits come from pain killers people get addicted to and take for years instead of weeks, they are basically pushers and it needs to stop.< /rant>

and now for something completely different .

Prince on the Muppets (https://youtu.be/cgYEsfBuHoo)

Tio Gato
04-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the Muppets link Adam. That was awesome.

mahtofire14
04-22-2016, 03:29 PM
He really was amazingly talented, I saw an interview and someone said you could be having a meal with him and he would just get up, walk away and go to the studio because a melody would come to him and he would have to start working on it that very second. You see the interviews with him and while he as very private people labeled him as weird, which might be, yet when you hear him talk he was very soft spoken and probably more normal than 75% the people you meet every day.

He never stopped being a small town Minnesota boy, hell at his house / studio they would have guest DJs and anyone could show up for free concerts, he would play now and then and try out new songs, he was someone who gave back to the community in so many ways. If that's weird then the world can use a hell of a lot more weird.

< rant>If it turns out to be an OD from pain killers that would be a shame, pharmaceutical companies really need to introduce non-addictive painkillers, yet so much of their profits come from pain killers people get addicted to and take for years instead of weeks, they are basically pushers and it needs to stop.< /rant>

and now for something completely different .

Prince on the Muppets (https://youtu.be/cgYEsfBuHoo)

I was lucky enough to get into one of his surprise shows at Paisley Park. I wasn't a Prince fan until I heard his later stuff which is a lot of straight up jamming. I have to say it was one of the most incredible shows I've ever seen.

AdamJoshua
04-22-2016, 09:05 PM
and who can forget this song, a lot of funk going on here. Sadly the only video I saw was from the VH1 music awards and it's crappy quality, too bad too because Prince always got good women.

Low Quality Vid (http://www.jukebo.com/prince/music-clip,*****-control,su8p0.html)

Just Music no Video (https://youtu.be/xeBIO4IvqrE)

AdamJoshua
04-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Here you go Springsteen singing Purple Rain just now in NY.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1PlKQozwQEMJE

The Poet
04-23-2016, 09:34 PM
SNL doing a special Prince tribute show RIGHT NOW. Tune in NBC, and watch SNL for a change, like me.

AdamJoshua
04-23-2016, 10:09 PM
NBC just showed people at his place handing out gifts, purple boxes like hat boxes but with albums, CDs, T-shirts, stuff like that in them. Even in death he's cool and different.

The Poet
04-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Once this SNL makes it to Sandy Eggo via Tune-in Express, you're gonna like it Adam.

icehog3
04-24-2016, 09:35 AM
The after show party footage from SNL was pretty cool, even with Jimmy K's long winded introduction.

Don't ever remember hearing that song "Fury" from one of the shows ever before, but man did he jam.

The Poet
04-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Yeah, the first half of that SNL reminded me of why it once was a Saturday must-watch.

The second half reminded me of why it ain't worth a crap anymore. :r

icehog3
04-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Yeah, the first half of that SNL reminded me of why it once was a Saturday must-watch.

The second half reminded me of why it ain't worth a crap anymore. :r

Prince wants you to sit in that giant cupcake.

The Poet
04-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Prince wants you to sit in that giant cupcake.

Where did Prince go?

Oh, here he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNKnC9K8Uo