PDA

View Full Version : Oliva V Melanio maduro torpedo

borndead1
02-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Disclaimer...I am not a fan of the Oliva V. They have an 'off' flavor that I just don't care for. But I decided to give this one a shot.

Very well-constructed and attractive cigar. Perfect draw.

First few draws...this cigar ain't no joke. Very full "strength". Rich, "dark" flavor. Unsweetened cocoa/coffee on the draw, a bit of wood in the nose. Short, tangy finish.

About 1" in..."strength" has subsided a bit but still full. Dominant flavors are the same. The burn is a bit crooked but not bad. Great draw. High amount of smoke.

About 2" in...a bit of coconut has crept in on the finish. Digging the cigar so far. Much more than the original V. Burn is still a bit crooked. A few minor touchups required.

About halfway...dominant flavors are the same, but a nice sweetness on the finish. Enjoying this cigar. A lot. Burn is still a little crooked.

A little past halfway...flavors have gone harsh. A bit of ammonia, which is the same problem I had with the original V. Let this cigar die a little past the halfway point.

Final thoughts...I'm willing to get a few more singles and let them rest for a few months.

icehog3
02-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Thnaks for the review, Mark. Had a couple of these last year, wasn't overly impressed.

Porch Dweller
02-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Good review. I've had a couple of these and it's one of the rare smokes where I prefer the natural wrapper to the maduro.

mahtofire14
02-22-2016, 08:47 PM
I really enjoy the maduro line of the Melanios. I seem to have a box on hand all the time. Never had a bad one. Burn isn't quite as consistent as some may desire but it isn't terribly bad. I smoke maduros almost exclusively though and the San Andreas wrapper is by far my favorite so my opinions my be a bit biased. :D