PDA

View Full Version : 2016 MLB Thread

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Might as well get this going for the new year. Go Sox:)

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Well my cousin signed with the dirty north side.. Oh well, didn't think it'd happen. Todd Frazier signs with the good guys. I like it. Best guy at 3rd we've had in a while.

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-19-2015, 01:25 AM
Other hot stove news:
Colon signs with the Mets. Dude is still throwing heat. I call roids!!:r Thanks for 05 though Bartolo:)

icehog3
12-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Looking forward to seeing the Sox and Tigers battle for last place again, Nate. ;s :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Will be an exciting battle I'm sure :r

Dave128
12-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Let's Go Mets!!

mahtofire14
12-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm confident my Twins will win the whole damn thing now that we have a Korean than can hit home runs off sub 90 mph throwing pitchers.....

Mr.Erskine
12-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Let's Go Mets!!

Boo.... Go Nats! I'm holding my breath, right now, though.

I hope Dusty Baker can use his weapons better than Matt Williams could--and I liked Matt Williams...

But it looks like we may be looking at Daniel Murphy now that it looks like Brandon Phillips is a no go... :-(

The Poet
12-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Are not most bakers dusty?

dman4505
12-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Hoping the moves the Cubbies have made work out and they can make another run.
Surprised they got away with taking two guys from the Cardinals. It's usually the other way around.

Don

Brian D.
12-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Reds will have a tough time losing less than 95 games next year. It may be worse than that, even.

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Brian - how do you think Todd will perform in the AL?

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Mets better sign YO.. Rumors they want to sign DeAza.. It'll be a looong season for them if they go that route.. Plus side would be maybe the Sox sign YO.

Frazier
Abreu
Cespedes

On paper, dangerous middle lineup. But let's be real, on paper the Sox looked good last winter with the work Rick did...

icehog3
12-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Tigers looked like the Team of the Century on paper for 3 seasons, and you saw how many WS titles that got them. :hn

Hopefully Cespedes is better for the Sox than he was for Detroit if you get him, Nate.

And no, I don't really mean that. :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Tigers looked like the Team of the Century on paper for 3 seasons, and you saw how many WS titles that got them. :hn

Hopefully Cespedes is better for the Sox than he was for Detroit if you get him, Nate.

And no, I don't really mean that. :r

If he does what he did for DET and the Mets last year, that'll work. Good numbers put up for both teams. But, I will say I had only become a "believer" in YO after his savage performance with the Mets.

My guess is the Giants, Tigers, and Chisox will make the biggest offers, and he'll land in San Fran

Dave128
12-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Cespedes did OK for the Mets. He hit the cover off the ball for about a month, but once the opposing teams figured out he couldn't hit high inside heat, he was done for the season. Really effected his production in the playoffs. I don't see that changing unless he puts some work into his game. I think the Mets will be better off not signing this over-priced player.

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Cespedes did OK for the Mets. He hit the cover off the ball for about a month, but once the opposing teams figured out he couldn't hit high inside heat, he was done for the season. Really effected his production in the playoffs. I don't see that changing unless he puts some work into his game. I think the Mets will be better off not signing this over-priced player.

Cespedes was a 6.7 WAR player in 2015. In the OF, only Trout and Harper were better in all of MLB. In terms of contracts, you look at a recent OF signing: Heyward. Dude pulled in $184mm. Largest contract in Cubs history. He was a 6.0 WAR player last year. Personally, I think that is a decent signing for them. Single metrics like power numbers make Heyward look not exactly worth it, but his favorable WAR (glove makes up where his bat doesn't) and age close the gap. Cespedes will get a massive contract, but it'll probably be in line with other ~6 WAR OFs. The more I think about, my bet is DET or San Fran will throw serious coin and land him. I just don't see JR nutting up. Sox would have the highest PR in the teams history if they do.

The Poet
01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Any thoughts on the two players voted into the HOF today?

Me, I have no problem at all with Griffey Jr. I guess one could quibble that he needed another couple of years active, but I won't be one of those.

As for Piazza, I think his numbers would prevent me from voting him in, were it not for the fact that he holds the HR record for a catcher. He was a powerful offensive weapon. On the other hand, he was not much of a defensive backstop, either as a receiver or with his arm. In my book, he was not a Posada, much less a Pudge. But that's me, and I won't begrudge the Pizzaman.

Mr.Erskine
01-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Any thoughts on the two players voted into the HOF today?

Me, I have no problem at all with Griffey Jr. I guess one could quibble that he needed another couple of years active, but I won't be one of those.

As for Piazza, I think his numbers would prevent me from voting him in, were it not for the fact that he holds the HR record for a catcher. He was a powerful offensive weapon. On the other hand, he was not much of a defensive backstop, either as a receiver or with his arm. In my book, he was not a Posada, much less a Pudge. But that's me, and I won't begrudge the Pizzaman.

Griffey--YES! Griffey is probably my number one all time favorite players to watch, even though I was never a fan of any of the teams he played for. Although, I could stomach the Mariners.

Piazza--when I was younger, I was a Dodger fan, right through his rookie season. I always thought Mike Piazza was a solid player. Unfortunately, because of the flash of the players of the 90's and the fact that numbers are inflated more and more ever year, solid players wind up getting overlooked for the players that put on a show (See Craig Biggio and how long he had to wait to get voted in)

The Poet
01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Solid? Yeah, sure. HOF? Ehhhh. And I saw Piazza a lot here with the Mets.

Not so much with the Dodgers, thanks to one of history's three greatest villains, Walter O'Malley. :D

Greentud
01-10-2016, 09:06 AM
I predict that once again the Tribe will not win the World Seriess.:bh

AdamJoshua
01-10-2016, 09:10 AM
As a RedSox and Tito fan at least you have one of the best coaches in baseball.

mahtofire14
01-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Griffey--YES! Griffey is probably my number one all time favorite players to watch, even though I was never a fan of any of the teams he played for. Although, I could stomach the Mariners.

Piazza--when I was younger, I was a Dodger fan, right through his rookie season. I always thought Mike Piazza was a solid player. Unfortunately, because of the flash of the players of the 90's and the fact that numbers are inflated more and more ever year, solid players wind up getting overlooked for the players that put on a show (See Craig Biggio and how long he had to wait to get voted in)

Griffey definitely. Unfortunately with Piazza it's not the Hall of Solid, it's the Hall of Fame. I'm personally not a fan of his induction.

jonumberone
01-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Griffey definitely. Unfortunately with Piazza it's not the Hall of Solid, it's the Hall of Fame. I'm personally not a fan of his induction.

I couldn't disagree with you more, Pete.
If you want to argue it was the steroid era, or if you want to say he needed to wait longer; fine, but you can't call Mike just a solid player. Mike was great.
Was he the best catcher to ever play the game? No, but he was one, if not the best, hitting catcher of all time.
No small feat when you consider how that position has been chewing up and spitting out talent throughout history.
Lord knows I'm not a Met fan, and I'm not a Piazza fan either, but he does belong in the hall. :2

CigarSquid
01-19-2016, 06:20 AM
Hurry up baseball!

icehog3
01-19-2016, 11:22 AM
I can wait until after the Blackhawks win the Cup.

Touten2
01-24-2016, 04:42 PM
I just hope my Braves finish over .500.

CigarSquid
01-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Tom, We on for the what seems to be an annual bet this season? A's play in Detroit for a 4 game series in late April. Then a 3 game series in Oakland late May.

You want to do 2 bet on each series or 1 bet for the combined series?

icehog3
01-29-2016, 10:07 AM
How about 1 bet, since one series is an even number of games, and because I don't wanna lose twice. :lr

AdamJoshua
01-29-2016, 10:11 AM
I couldn't disagree with you more, Pete.
If you want to argue it was the steroid era, or if you want to say he needed to wait longer; fine, but you can't call Mike just a solid player. Mike was great.
Was he the best catcher to ever play the game? No, but he was one, if not the best, hitting catcher of all time.
No small feat when you consider how that position has been chewing up and spitting out talent throughout history.
Lord knows I'm not a Met fan, and I'm not a Piazza fan either, but he does belong in the hall. :2

I agree and God knows I can't stand the Mets either, or the decision to leave Buckner in a game late that he had no business being in. That being said the only knock I have against Piazza is his b.s. when being questioned about steroids, it's often better to say nothing rather than lie and eventually get caught and have to own up anyway.

CigarSquid
01-29-2016, 02:04 PM
How about 1 bet, since one series is an even number of games, and because I don't wanna lose twice. :lr

Works for me. 5er?

icehog3
01-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Works for me. 5er?

Done deal, send me your address as soon as the A's win the 4th game. Quite possibly in late April. :r

mahtofire14
04-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Well it's begun. Definitely my favorite time of the year. I think the Twins have a pretty good shot at getting to the playoffs this year. Should be a really fun year!

The Poet
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Yankees/Astros postponed due to weather. Why didn't MLB schedule this game in Texas? Opening Day in The Bronx makes as much sense as spring training in Canada.

CigarSquid
04-04-2016, 11:48 AM
So excited... and work is going by so sloooooooow..

AdamJoshua
04-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Happy Opening Day all! Hopefully for the Red Sox the Price is right!

The Poet
04-04-2016, 11:55 AM
The price was certainly dear. :D

joatmon
04-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Another year for great baseball weather at Coors Field. As for great baseball from the Rockies, I'm not going to hold my breath.

mahtofire14
04-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Twins blew it in the ninth. The bullpen is going to be a question mark again this year.

bugmenot
04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Got to catch a couple inngings of the giants today. Going opening night and the next day, looking forward to that!

icehog3
04-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Arrieta started right where he left off last season, amazing.

The Poet
04-05-2016, 09:29 PM
The Cubbies bandwagon is as overloaded as a third-class car on a Delhi-bound train, with fans and experts proclaiming THIS is next year. I just read that manager Joe Madden has expressed to his team the mantra to follow as they strive to expunge a century-plus of goathood . . . Try not to suck.

Can't you just see that on T-shirts all over the North Side? :r

icehog3
04-05-2016, 11:49 PM
15-1 in their first two games, the Cubbie faithful are happy so far. :r

Tigers start the season undefeated. Bullpen already looks suspect.

jonumberone
04-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Calling out Bautista for that slide is a disgrace.
I can't imagine that's what MLB had in mind when they changed that rule.
If so, they might as well call it Little League.

bugmenot
04-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Knew the Giants wouldn't go undefeated... Caught a bit of the game, but this thing called work got in the way.

The call yesterday on Bautista was a joke. I understand trying to get people to go for the bag and not slide 2' away. But that?!! That's baseball.

The Poet
04-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Look like a real pitcher's duel in a frigid Bronx tonight. Middle of the 3rd Yanks lead Astros 9-5. :r

Oops. End of 3rd, 12-5 Yanks.

The Poet
04-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Oh, and after 6, A-Rod's only got 8 LOB.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Not for nothing, but the last time the Sox started 3-1 was 2005. For my sanity this summer, I'm just hoping for competitive games on the south side. Cheers to baseball season gents!

bugmenot
04-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Giant's game was great! Way too early to know for sure, but get the sense they can actually come back down 2-3 runs.

icehog3
04-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Cubs have 29 runs in their first 3 games.

They are forecasting frost in Hell. :r

CigarSquid
04-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Not for nothing, but the last time the Sox started 3-1 was 2005. For my sanity this summer, I'm just hoping for competitive games on the south side. Cheers to baseball season gents!

You guys played good and the A's played like crap. Errors, LOB.. Hurting us big time early in the season!

ChicagoWhiteSox
05-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Timmy apparently looked pretty good in his showcase.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/tim-lincecum

kelmac07
05-15-2016, 06:13 PM
It's official...Matt Harvey sucks!!

The Poet
05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
So I finally saw clips of that Texas/Toronto mess. My thoughts? First, the take-out slide is as much a part of baseball as is the "neighborhood" play, and since Odor was clearly off the bag Bautista was actually safe, so there was no possibility of a double-play anyway . . . except that there was, since that is baseball. Am I making any sense? Second, a shove to the chest is not part of baseball, and a sock to the jaw is most definitely not part of baseball. If a few players get fined or suspended, that's cool. But if Odor doesn't get absolutely hammered, that stinks.

icehog3
05-29-2016, 10:36 PM
In the Dominican Republic? :D

The Poet
06-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Did you know that Ichiro entered action tonight needing only 4 hits to pass Pete Rose? Yes, nearly 1300 of those came in Japan, and this milestone is a HUGE event over there, but very few people in this country are paying any attention. Not surprisingly, one of those people is Pete Rose, who in typical Charlie Hustle fashion is dismissing it as meaningless, even going so far as to sarcastically suggest they count Ichiro's high school hits as well. In contrast, Suzuki just shrugs and says he simply wants to go out and do his best every chance he gets.

If Rose had a tenth the class as does Ichiro, maybe the half of baseball who hates his guts would have a better opinion of him. Me, I just hope Ichiro becomes a first-ballot HOF player, and that Rose never gets within a hundred miles of Cooperstown.

icehog3
06-13-2016, 10:41 PM
I agree with Pete. :r

The Poet
06-14-2016, 08:32 AM
When it comes to the MLB record, i don't disagree with Rose. I am just appalled he handles this with all the grace God gave a rabid badger . . . again.

icehog3
06-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Yeah, Rose isn't exactly the King of Subtle. :)

Epic collapse by the Tigers yesterday. Geez.

The Poet
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
I did not know Bill Belichick was scouting for the Red Sox now. :D

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-red-sox-banned-from-signing-international-players-for-a-year-153432545.html

icehog3
09-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Amazing stuff going on in Miami. A great tribute, some cool dramatic moments already.

R.I.P., Jose Fernandez.

kelmac07
09-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Amazing stuff going on in Miami. A great tribute, some cool dramatic moments already.

R.I.P., Jose Fernandez.

Not happy with this...but it's fitting.

RIP Jose.

icehog3
09-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Not happy with this...but it's fitting.

RIP Jose.

That leadoff home run and reacrion was almost heartbreaking.

Not so heartbreaking for you, Mac, Cards are down 14-1. -(P

jonumberone
09-27-2016, 06:05 AM
Powerful stuff last night. That rendition of Take Me Out to The Ballgame was really moving.
If you asked me who was going to take the mantle of best pitcher in baseball when Kershaw was done with it, Jose would've been my answer.
Tragic loss for the game.

R.I.P. Jose

Dave128
09-27-2016, 07:51 AM
I watched the opening tribute and the HR. It certainly brought a tear to my eye. Very touching.

RIP Jose.

E.J.
09-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Man....I'm not really a MLB fan until October, but seeing that stuff today got me a little misty. Crazy how this type of stuff can bring out the best of humanity. I was moved by not only the HR heroics, but the pre game Mets class & post game mound tribute.

Sport is great. Well done, both teams, you did it right.

icehog3
09-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Mets absolutely showed a ton of class.

The caps all left on the mound after the game was pretty special too.

AdamJoshua
10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Not sure how Buck left in "Johnny serve it up" in the 11th and not bring in his stud closer that hasn't allowed a run in like 8 years. wow

AdamJoshua
11-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Kate Upton = not a good sport. Reminds me of when the two NY writers left Pedro off their ballots when he had arguably the greatest season in the modern era... deal with it Kate but way to look like a nut. :lr

Kate Upton is FURIOUS Justin Verlander didn't win the A.L. Cy Young Award -- sending a scorching note to the MLB writers who voted on it ... YOU F**KED MY FIANCE.

Verlander came in 2nd in the voting behind Red Sox pitcher Rick Porcello -- despite the fact Justin had more 1st place votes.

FYI -- the Cy Young voting system is weighted. Writers fill in a name for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place -- a 1st place vote is worth 7 points. 2nd is worth 4, 3rd is worth 3, 4th is 2 and 5th is 1.

Verlander had 14 1st place votes. Rick had 8 ... but Rick beat Verlander out in the overall scoring.

Enter Upton who went all scorched Earth on the process.

"Hey @MLB I thought I was the only person allowed to f**k @JustinVerlander ?! What 2 writers didn't have him on their ballot?"

"He had the majority of 1st place votes and 2 writers didn't have him on their ballots?!! can you pick more out of touch people to vote?@MLB"

"Sorry Rick but you didn't get any 1st place votes? you didn't win. #ByeFelicia @MLB keep up with the times and fire those writers."

icehog3
11-16-2016, 08:21 PM
That's priceless.

AdamJoshua
11-16-2016, 10:11 PM
I guess 16-9 is awesome to her. :lr

icehog3
11-17-2016, 09:48 AM
I guess 16-9 is awesome to her. :lr

I'd take Kate over Cy anyday anyway. :r