PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

borndead1
11-26-2015, 04:17 PM
...who doesn't think Opus X are all that great?

Don't get me wrong. They're good cigars, but I'd only be a buyer at about half the price they go for.

The Poet
11-26-2015, 04:26 PM
That is sort of two different issues. Are they "great"? Maybe. Are they too expensive? For me, decidedly.

Truth be told, were I able to pay through the nose for a cigar, I'd sooner go for a VSG or a Padron.

borndead1
11-26-2015, 04:30 PM
That is sort of two different issues. Are they "great"? Maybe. Are they too expensive? For me, decidedly.

Truth be told, were I able to pay through the nose for a cigar, I'd sooner go for a VSG or a Padron.

100% agree. If I had money to blow on pricey cigars, I'd buy something other than Opus.

E.J.
11-26-2015, 04:37 PM
IMO, they are what they are. Can be stinkin' fantastic and worth every penny or another good cigar. One of my the best cigars I've ever had was a FFOX, remember it like it was yesterday. There are only a handful that have done that for me, like years later I remember the flavor, not just the company and moment. That said, I don't pay premium for them, would rather a BRC or FDC for less than half the price. When buying in bulk. I like to have a few around to grab, when the moment is right, because when it's on, it's on.

Mr.Erskine
11-26-2015, 07:27 PM
I hve only had one, but I was extremely underwhelmed by the experience.

Weelok
11-26-2015, 08:32 PM
I think I have one buried somewhere. Let me dig it up and see what my thoughts are

Weelok
11-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Ok just finished smoking the OpusX I had and it was about five years old.

I posted pics in the what are you smoking thread.

Overall I enjoyed the cigar but the price point is why I haven't bought any in five years. Smoke them if you have them and I certainly wouldn't turn any down offered to me hah

dijit
11-27-2015, 05:27 AM
In my opinion Of the 5 or 6 different opus I have had, they are well made and flavorful right out the box. They mellow with age and are about the same for me as smoking some of the Fuente options at 1/3 the price or less. Plain and simple I feel that most of the opus options you are paying for a name or a status symbol. If you need the status symbol buy one save the band and put it on a shark, queen bee, #46.

CigarNut
11-27-2015, 04:26 PM
The Opus X flavor profile is not for me -- I don't hate them, but they are not worth the money. I do like the Fuente Hemingway line.

If I am going to splurge on an NC I will go for Padron Maduros.

hudd
11-28-2015, 12:10 AM
I've had a couple (splurged). Wasn't all that impressed. Had sticks just as good for less money.

Throb
12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
I have had about 5 which i purchased from all different places and vendors. After smoking each of them, I said the same thing...WHat a waste of time smoking that.

Now I always buy a dozen or so Sharks every year and let them rest for a full year...and I have never been let down by them. Every single one has been phenomenal.

Had a few short stories and other types of AFs, and liked them so I do like AF...but I just cant bring myself to purchase and smoke another $25 stick that leaves me wishing I smoked something else.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
12-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Not a huge fan of the Opus X, but I have had some good ones that had a few years of age on them.

If you can ever get a hold of one that has been aged for 3-4 years then I recommend giving it a try.

Sooner
12-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Only ever had one. Smoked it with some Johnny Walker Blue. They went together very nicely. But that was well before my palate developed to where it is now. I felt semi-underwhelmed by both.

My buddy has a few that we are planning to smoke one of these days. I look forward to giving them another go.

But the way my cigar budget is, I happily smoke cigars a half or a third of the price and get a ton of excitement and flavor from them. There have been some cigars with huge followings that I am just not a huge fan of. If you don't like them all that much, so what! Smoke what you like. Heck smoke 4 of them for the price of 1 Opus!

mosesbotbol
12-02-2015, 04:40 AM
There was so much hyped to them when they first came out and I did not find them any better than the Don Carlos and preferred the Cameroon wrapper over the DR wrapper... From that initial point and rising prices of Opus X, I just never chased them.

The wrappers can be a little too oily and they burn seriously slow for my taste. That being said, I would smoke them if given to me. How nice of me...

I've never had an opportunity where I saw Opus X in a size I like for a price similar to Habanos that I am use to paying.

shilala
12-02-2015, 07:50 AM
I've never been an Opus fan, but it's because of the flavor profile. It's certainly distinctive, and it's the only cigar I've ever smoked that's delivered that much citrus.
I can see why guys like them, for sure.
Anejos are another thing. I absolutely love them. I like to set them back for about a year just to dry them out, but the fresher the better. :tu

stearns
12-02-2015, 08:29 AM
I consider opus to be very unique. not necessarily the best of the best, but a unique smoking experience, particularly with the really old ones. I have some that are over 10 years old, and they can't be compared to anything else in terms of flavor profile. I don't buy them, but I keep some around in case I want to smoke something that doesn't taste like anything else that I normally smoke (in a good way :r)

hammondc
12-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Agreed. If I can get them on a deal, I will horde them as trade fodder for Padron 64s.

jjirons69
12-02-2015, 03:43 PM
I've tried quite a few and fresh, they're flavorful, but underwhelming for the price. I've given away more than I've smoked. For the money I'd rather have a handful of Fuente 8-5-8 maduros.

Porch Dweller
12-02-2015, 05:23 PM
If you can get them at a good price and let them sit for a few years, then they're a damned good smoke. There's a B&M not too far from me that carries them and doesn't mark up the price ridiculously, so about twice a year I grab one and put it away for a long nap.
But I'd rather have an Anejo if given the option.

dave
12-03-2015, 07:32 AM
I have never had a bad one. I'd prefer not to pay retail, but that is the case for every cigar I buy.
As to Anejo vs. Opus...well, IMO Opus wins hands down all day every day. I've had lots of Anejos that I was disappointed in...never happened to me with Opus

x man
12-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I smokem, a lot, but only 3 yrs and older.