PDA

View Full Version : What About This New "Leasing A Phone" Thing?

shilala
10-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Because AT&T is set up that way, like everyone else (I'm guessing), we've "leased" our last two phones.
I think I just pay for mine and keep it after two years. I don't know because I didn't buy it and Weeze doesn't know what she signed up for.
Now she just got a 6S and did the same thing.

So I'm trying to go back and uncover how bad I'm screwed.
The main thing, Insurance.
I have to turn in a working, good condition phone if in fact I need to return it at contract's end.
I've had my 6+ too long to get insurance, from what I've read.
Weeze can get insurance for around 7 bucks a month on her 6s.

I'm just asking what you guys know about all this in general.
Do you carry insurance?
With who?
Did you choose to turn your phone in, or do you keep it?
If you keep it, can you get a new one?

Just anything will help while I try to get ahead of this phone mess.
As it looks right now, it'll cost me $2400 if I fall in the ocean with our phones. I've done that before. :D

Thanks!!! :tu

WhiteMamba
10-29-2015, 05:19 PM
I just get a life proof case no insurance. Hasn't failed me yet.

shilala
10-29-2015, 06:03 PM
If I got a lifeproof or otterbox for a 6+, I'd need extra help to carry it.
But I'm with you, Michael. I've always had an Otterbox Defender. I had one Lifeproof, but it marred up and became useless a lot faster than my otterboxes.

Weeze gets those folding leather cases. She's never lost or broken a phone.
For that matter, neither have I. Not since I fell in the water with both our 3s's, and that was a long time ago.
But she wouldn't use either of the big cases. Her problem is that her phones just flat out break. Be it the batteries or whatever.

I told Weeze what you suggested and I'm going to go shop both cases for my 6+ right now. :tu

longknocker
10-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Scott: I Just Went Through This Wednesday With ATT. Apparently You Save Over $100 If You "Lease" The Phone And You Don't Have To Pay The Extra Monthly Fee That You Do If You "Bought" The Phone. Also, I Called Tech Support For My iPhone 4 That The Touchscreen Went Out. He Said I Was "Lucky" I got Three Years Out Of It; The Normal "Life Span" For An iPhone Is Around 2 Years, Now. So If You Bought Instead Of Leased, You Would End Up Paying More Money And May Have A Phone That Quits On You After 2 Years. :2

shilala
10-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Greg, I know that when I lease a phone, I have to return it in good condition and working.
So if I came to the 2 year mark and it was broke when I went to turn it in, I'd have to fix it or take it to an Apple store and get it fixed.
I just read that today.
I need to see what we did. I'm pretty sure Weeze bought them.

shilala
10-29-2015, 06:41 PM
I checked, and I'll own my phone at the end of my lease.
Don't know about Weeze, hers hasn't hit the bill yet. But I think I can change hers to "own" as well.
I found an otterbox, too. :tu

rwiiames
10-29-2015, 08:13 PM
I've had my 5s for almost a year now. iOS 9 trashed the battery life. I'm down to about 2 1/2 hours if I don't use it very much. An hour or so if I'm browsing and texting.

When I'm out of contract with it I think I'm going to tell Apple "You're not the droid I'm looking for."

stearns
10-30-2015, 06:51 AM
I never liked the idea of having to turn a working phone in to get a new one, I usually use my phone until it breaks, that's how I know it's time to replace it. I don't want to be making monthly payments to "lease it and also have to set money aside to get it fixed before turning it in. sounds like a great way for the carriers to make a lot of money though, hope whoever came up with that one got a nice big raise

WhiteMamba
10-30-2015, 07:47 AM
If you got a 6+ it wouldn't fit in your pocket any way. You might as well get a man bag from Remo.

dijit
10-30-2015, 07:53 AM
I never liked the idea of having to turn a working phone in to get a new one, I usually use my phone until it breaks, that's how I know it's time to replace it. I don't want to be making monthly payments to "lease it and also have to set money aside to get it fixed before turning it in. sounds like a great way for the carriers to make a lot of money though, hope whoever came up with that one got a nice big raise

While I personally dont work in the industry I do know a few people that do and yes the lease program is a cash cow for the industry. The turning them in to get a new one is a smaller cash cow according to my ATT contact as they sell them back to be refurbished and or recycled after it has already been paid for. When you consider that the average smart phone has $50 in parts and $35 to $70 labor to manufacture and to lease it for 2 years is $1000 to $1200 total and to buy it outright is $500 to $800 on average. Big apples excluded of course because they are even more. Then add $10 a month insurance on average and we begin to see this is cell phone extortion.

AdamJoshua
10-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Scott: I Just Went Through This Wednesday With ATT. Apparently You Save Over $100 If You "Lease" The Phone And You Don't Have To Pay The Extra Monthly Fee That You Do If You "Bought" The Phone. Also, I Called Tech Support For My iPhone 4 That The Touchscreen Went Out. He Said I Was "Lucky" I got Three Years Out Of It; The Normal "Life Span" For An iPhone Is Around 2 Years, Now. So If You Bought Instead Of Leased, You Would End Up Paying More Money And May Have A Phone That Quits On You After 2 Years. :2

This sounds like total bullshit, what demographic are they using, monkeys at the zoo? Not to mention warranty or not Apple is very good about replacing phones, so I would seriously question what Michael from Mumbi.... I mean Wisconsin told you on the phone.

That being said I like the new phone every year deal, but that's just me.

mosesbotbol
10-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I just buy my cell phones out right from the get go and don't want any contract or obligation from any cell phone service.

Cellular providers get a kickback from the vendor when the provider sponsors the phone. Phones can be fixed, if I lose it; I lose it I guess...

shilala
10-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I think they just have me sweating the big bill if I break it or lose it.
I can fix it if it breaks. Not a problem. I've never lost one.
I just can't stand the thought of paying them $850 over two years and end up with nothing.
Turns out that's not the case. I get to keep mine.

Now I'm not sure what they'll do once it's paid for.
I imagine I can just start paying on a new phone?
I think I'm gonna get a cricket flip phone. They've worn me down.

longknocker
10-30-2015, 05:34 PM
This sounds like total bullshit, what demographic are they using, monkeys at the zoo? Not to mention warranty or not Apple is very good about replacing phones, so I would seriously question what Michael from Mumbi.... I mean Wisconsin told you on the phone.

That being said I like the new phone every year deal, but that's just me.

The "Warranty" Is Only One Year, Though, Correct, Adam? My Touchscreen Wouldn't Work After 3 Years And The Estimated Cost Was $250-300 To Fix It. Then Something Else Would Break. Good Luck With Keeping An iPhone For 3 Years Or More Trouble Free. :2

shilala
10-30-2015, 05:43 PM
You can get a new screen and digitizer on ebay, Greg. 50 bucks or so, I'm thinking.
They come with the tools you need and there's a hog ton of videos on youtube on how to replace them.
I just replaced the battery in Weeze's 5 the day before yesterday.
It cost 20 bucks. They wanted 200 to do it at the Apple Store.

They already replaced it for free once, despite it being out of warranty, because they're bad batteries. They won't do it twice, though. But they'll sell a brother another bad battery for 200 bucks. Ugh.

Stevez
10-30-2015, 05:57 PM
This thread is timely for me too, so I'm following it with much interest. I need a new phone and whenever I start researching it, I get more confused and frustrated and just put the decision on hold. Stressful like buying a car! I hate these companies raping people with these charges and contracts, etc.

I was looking at getting an "unlocked" 6+ phone with 64GB and it's like a $1,000! Then you still have to get the data plan,SIM card, etc. Still cheaper than what they charge you monthly for two years I guess.

G G
10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
I have bought a couple of phones using AT&Ts NEXT Plan if that is what you are referring to. When you buy using the next plan, you basically are paying full retail price on an interest free loan. You pay x.xx amount and they spread out the price over a certain period of months. If you want to trade it in it has to be in working good condition. The trick is is you have 30 payments you can trade in on a brand new phone after 24 months and just keep paying the same amount for 30 more months. I did it because I tend to keep my phones forever. If you have a mobile share value plan, you also get a discount on the access fee for the phone as well. I have two iPhones with a mobile share value plan with 20 gigs of data per month. I used to pay $40.00 per phone per month and the data fee. Now i get a $25 per phone discount on that $40 because I bought both phones using Next.

I have also seen a lot of folks claim you are getting screwed and I guess that's a matter of opinion. The deal is this though: You always paid retail for your phone whether you knew it or not. The traditional upgrade was to pay around $200 for an iPhone to upgrade but you also paid that $40 access fee, with the next you pay retail for the phone, but you get a $25.00 discount so it usually works out to about the same either way within a $100 best I can tell.

I also think you come out way better by getting your warranty through Square Trade rather than your cell phone company. The cell companies always have high deductibles and it isn't worth it to me.

shilala
10-30-2015, 06:22 PM
You made my head explode, Gainey.

G G
10-30-2015, 06:25 PM
You made my head explode, Gainey.

Read it again, only slower. :r

shilala
10-30-2015, 06:49 PM
I think I got it.
I can beat the evil empire if I just go buy a 5 or 5s off craigslist and don't insist on having the great big phone what I can actually read. :tu

That "lease" stuff is just an aside if you need a phone or want the latest.
This 6+ is perfect for me, because, like I said, I can see it.
I'm a year in and have a year left to pay it off.
AT&T aren't getting their grubby little hands on it, ever.

Weeze just had to finally bite the bullet cause hers was broke all the time.
But now we have a back-up phone, so all is well. Until I see how she paid for hers.
Since it's a simple "pay-down", it's no big. If there's no interest and I don't need to turn in a phone, I'm happy. :D

AdamJoshua
10-30-2015, 06:57 PM

I've always had good luck with phones, though no I have never kept one past two years, even though they were still in perfect condition.

Are you sure you're monster paws didn't have something to do with your poor screen being molested? :lr

G G
10-30-2015, 07:04 PM
I think I got it.
I can beat the evil empire if I just go buy a 5 or 5s off craigslist and don't insist on having the great big phone what I can actually read. :tu

That "lease" stuff is just an aside if you need a phone or want the latest.
This 6+ is perfect for me, because, like I said, I can see it.
I'm a year in and have a year left to pay it off.
AT&T aren't getting their grubby little hands on it, ever.

Weeze just had to finally bite the bullet cause hers was broke all the time.
But now we have a back-up phone, so all is well. Until I see how she paid for hers.
Since it's a simple "pay-down", it's no big. If there's no interest and I don't need to turn in a phone, I'm happy. :D

I didn't want to overload you all at once, so i failed to mention that you can pay it off at any time you choose, but you have to pay it in full if you go that route.

Stevez
10-30-2015, 07:25 PM
That actually did help me; thanks.

shilala
10-31-2015, 08:41 AM
I didn't want to overload you all at once, so i failed to mention that you can pay it off at any time you choose, but you have to pay it in full if you go that route.
I saw that part when I checked my "equipment charges" on my bill online, Greg.

For some reason I'd been thinking someone could "lease" for a lesser amount and turn in the phone without paying it's full cost.
That's not the case.
A person can just choose how many months they want to pay back their phone.
You mentioned 30, I did 24 on my phone.
So I confused myself thinking it was a conventional lease where a person pays 150% or more for the cost of an item, and that's not the case at all.

This has just saved the phone company from paying those subsidies for iphones, which is a great move for them.
Our bills go way up, they buy some more wheelbarrows to push the money around. :D

longknocker
10-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I've always had good luck with phones, though no I have never kept one past two years, even though they were still in perfect condition.

Are you sure you're monster paws didn't have something to do with your poor screen being molested? :lr

:r I Take Care Of Them, Hardly Ever Drop One. I Only Buy New When They Quit Working.

AdamJoshua
10-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Yah but you are dropping them from way way up there! :lr

Ok I'm done haha :D

mosesbotbol
11-01-2015, 05:21 AM
I was looking at getting an "unlocked" 6+ phone with 64GB and it's like a $1,000! Then you still have to get the data plan,SIM card, etc. Still cheaper than what they charge you monthly for two years I guess.

NewEgg has them for $800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875100351&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSFXQHXDKUDX-_-75-100-351-_-Product

I plan to buy another phone in Singapore; cheaper prices and better selection.

Stevez
11-01-2015, 05:46 AM
Thanks Moses. Not sure I see the benefit of buying "unlocked" unless you just don't want to stick with any provider. You still have to get the data plan and pay someone for the network as I see it. Leaning towards a 2 year contract with one company and buying the phone at a reduced cost. I was confused as to why anyone would buy unlocked at these prices.

mosesbotbol
11-01-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanks Moses. Not sure I see the benefit of buying "unlocked" unless you just don't want to stick with any provider. You still have to get the data plan and pay someone for the network as I see it. Leaning towards a 2 year contract with one company and buying the phone at a reduced cost. I was confused as to why anyone would buy unlocked at these prices.

I'm not bound to any contracts is the big one for me. I'm not into owing anyone, anything. Deal complete, shake hands and move on... I can switch providers as I want and not on the hook for paying off the phone if I leave. Even if it costs me a little more. I can sell the phone if I want and have done so before.

T.G
11-01-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm not bound to any contracts is the big one for me. I'm not into owing anyone, anything. Deal complete, shake hands and move on... I can switch providers as I want and not on the hook for paying off the phone if I leave. Even if it costs me a little more. I can sell the phone if I want and have done so before.

How do the monthly service costs compare for a BYO unlocked vs one of their phones?

Ashcan Bill
11-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Here's a kinda sorta related question. I just bought the wifey and I new 6s+ Eye Phones. These are the first Apple thingies we've ever owned. Always been non Apple types up til now. Are Eye Phones more delicate and prone to breaking than non Eye Phones? Neither of us have ever broken a phone before, not even a Princess or candlestick phone. Due to our gentle natures I've never seriously looked at extended warranties or insurance before. But after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should rethink things. Are these Eye Phones really that delicate and susceptible to problems? Should I look into some type of insurance plan?

G G
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I saw that part when I checked my "equipment charges" on my bill online, Greg.

For some reason I'd been thinking someone could "lease" for a lesser amount and turn in the phone without paying it's full cost.
That's not the case.
A person can just choose how many months they want to pay back their phone.
You mentioned 30, I did 24 on my phone.
So I confused myself thinking it was a conventional lease where a person pays 150% or more for the cost of an item, and that's not the case at all.

This has just saved the phone company from paying those subsidies for iphones, which is a great move for them.
Our bills go way up, they buy some more wheelbarrows to push the money around. :D

I know people think that but it's not usually the case. The bill in fact should stay about the same. What I mean by that is this: I will pay about 28 bucks a month for an iPhone 6 Plus. I also have the mobile share value plan that gives me $25.00 discount on the data access fee. So it's pretty much a wash. I have a 10 gig a month (talked them into doubling it it) mobile share value plan that costs $100 per month. I have three phones on the plan that are not on contract because I bought two of them using NEXT. I paid mine off early but am still paying on the wife's. The third line is my dad's and his isn't under contract either. Usually a smart phone comes with a $40.00 per month access fee per phone. But with the discount I only pay $15.00 per month for the access fees on all three phones. My bill is $145 for the phones and data bucket plus the $28 for the next on my wife's phone. If all three phones were under contract (which happens if you upgrade the old way) you would not have the $25 per line discount.

But let's say I only bought one of the phones using the old upgrade method my bill would be $100 for the data, plus $15 x2 for the two phones that aren't under contract, plus $40 for the phone that is under contract. For a total of $170 per month which if you add up my above that I am paying with none of them on contract comes to $173.00 per month.

I have read that tons of people saying it's a ripoff and a scam, but there are also tons of breakdowns that show it's basically the same deal either way. The truth is you are paying retail price for the phone one way or another, you either pay it outright, by using next, or you pay it in monthly access fees for the two years that it's on contract using the old upgrade path. You still with me?

The trick to this is having certain plans though. Mobile share value is what I have.

AdamJoshua
11-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Here's a kinda sorta related question. I just bought the wifey and I new 6s+ Eye Phones. These are the first Apple thingies we've ever owned. Always been non Apple types up til now. Are Eye Phones more delicate and prone to breaking than non Eye Phones? Neither of us have ever broken a phone before, not even a Princess or candlestick phone. Due to our gentle natures I've never seriously looked at extended warranties or insurance before. But after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should rethink things. Are these Eye Phones really that delicate and susceptible to problems? Should I look into some type of insurance plan?

I started out on an android and found the build quality as well as materials to be much cheaper in quality and feel than the iPhones. I wouldn't believe everything you read as far as people trolling Apple. I have had 4 iPhones since I switched (upgrades) and have never been happier, even dropped a couple with no issues. I'd also recommend the tech 21 case for them (and that's a good endorsement considering a good friend does the marketing for life proof cases.

Ashcan Bill
11-01-2015, 03:44 PM
I started out on an android and found the build quality as well as materials to be much cheaper in quality and feel than the iPhones. I wouldn't believe everything you read as far as people trolling Apple. I have had 4 iPhones since I switched (upgrades) and have never been happier, even dropped a couple with no issues. I'd also recommend the tech 21 case for them (and that's a good endorsement considering a good friend does the marketing for life proof cases.

That's encouraging. :tu

When I see people talking about them breaking and whatnot, I start wondering how robust they really are. Guess I'll find out.

AdamJoshua
11-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Here is an article about Apple's version of the "new phone every year" program. I just saw someone's new 6s and I really like the new features … it would cost me a fortune to upgrade since I'm only a few months into this one :(

When Apple announced the iPhone 6s in early September, the company also introduced a new payment system called the iPhone Upgrade Program. Apple’s iPhone financing scheme is similar to what many carriers are already offering, with pricing starting at around $32 per month for the 16GB iPhone 6s. However, Apple also includes an AppleCare warranty in its offer and the iPhone comes factory unlocked, meaning the customer can choose any carrier in the world for wireless service.

http://bgr.com/2015/11/02/iphone-6s-upgrade-program-t-mobile-sprint/

mosesbotbol
11-03-2015, 04:54 AM
How do the monthly service costs compare for a BYO unlocked vs one of their phones?

If you go to the lower tier providers they can be really cheap.