PDA

View Full Version : What makes you pick a cigar?

Cigarcop
12-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm curious what makes you purchase a cigar, what lures you in, someone's reviews, your own curiosity, how it looks sitting there in the box at the local B&M???
I mean their like women, something attracts you to them or pushes you away, you don't know their personalities yet, you haven't spent any time with them..what is it for you?

DrDubzz
12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
reputation of blender/producer, appearance, components (cameroon vs. corojo etc), mood.

a lot of things really, price sometimes is a factor as well

Lee
12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I've been reading the reviews in here and looking for those sticks that are getting good ones. Many times, at a good B&M, the proprietor will recommend something that looks good and I'll pick that up as well.

Genetic Defect
12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
past experience with that marca, or if someone with simlilar likes suggests it.

Silound
12-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I smoke everything we stock at the shop. As an employee, I assume it's my job to be able to provide at least a moderate amount of knowledge about every cigar we stock. At the very least I can say "I don't care for it, but I picked up some hints of blah, and it was a very blah type of stick."

As far as anything outside of work, I like to sample lots of new things, especially that which others tell me good things or that I read good things about. I'm not always picky about new sticks just because of blend or shape or look. I smoked 3-4 Rolando Reyes products simply to know what they were like.

No, I won't smoke a Cremosa, and yes I'm somewhat of a prick given that I'm currently challenging two other BOTLs to smoke a ton of turd sticks :)

Bruzee
12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I go alot by word of mouth. I respect and trust your opinions, aswell as my no-CA friends. I also try the different sticks from the same brand of ones I have already tried and liked. :2

bobarian
12-28-2008, 01:40 AM
I dont often go to the B&M any more, but when I do its pretty much impulse. Something I have smoked in the past and enjoyed. Something about which I remember a brother had good things to say. Always willing to try something new from a blander I liked in the past.

RGD.
12-28-2008, 06:17 AM
My purchases are based on how short the skirt is or how much cleavage is displayed in the advertisements in Cigar Aficionado.

:ss

Ron

DKPRLP
12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
After 40 yrs of smoking I pretty much stick to what I like. ( Long & strong )
Smoking 4-6 a day it's hard to keep the budget to under $ 200 a month..

TripleF
12-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Money, or lack there of.

If money weren't the main restraint I'd smoke 1964 PAE's all day long.

ucla695
12-29-2008, 06:38 AM
It depends. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll read reviews and look for profiles that I think will suit my palate. Otherwise, I'll buy something that I know I'll like.

acarr
12-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I read reviews and go from a process of elimination. Usually, I just exclude most and come to a decision. There are certain brands I just don't care for and eliminate them from the list. Then there are always the ones on the gotta try list that I pick up from time to time. Usually from taken from a review or the gar just looks like it will taste good.

bonjing
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Before i would just go into the B&M look around see if anything catches my eye, look of the box, the band. I also ask to see what the employee suggests. I now mainly go by what everyone here talks about and recommends.

Footbag
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I tend to pick a manufacturer, either by recommendation or just interest. If I like the brand, I work my way through the vitolas.

troutbreath
12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I like the reviews on here, and then there are certain makers that I have found that I seem to like everything they do.

Beyond that, I go for eye-candy. If it looks interesting and I haven't tried it, I'll pick up 2 and see how they smoke. I look at the wrapper and construction, presentation, price point and vitola size. If it's pretty, it may have to go home with me, even for just a one night stand.

Studebaker
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I go on the reviews on Dogwatch and recommendations from my B&M. I like trying new brands and will just tell the B&M owner what flavor profile and price range I'm looking for. His recommendations hardly ever disappoint.

Scottw
12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
The rep.of the producer as well as what I have read/heard about the cigar.

Mugen910
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Rep.Rating.Price.Mood.