PDA

View Full Version : DSL help

G G
09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Don't know where else to ask because I am out of ideas. I have DSL at my house. I have a 10 mbps down and 2 mbps up connection through the local telephone company. I will list what I have in my home network as well. I have a desktop computer, a laptop computer, two Rokus, an outdoor P2P network that I use to broadcast internet over my property. Two iphones, and two ipads. I have a modem/router from the phone company. I also use the wireless on the router for indoor access to internet. I also have a dumbswitch. All of my phone lines from the phone companies demark were replaced by me with CAT5e about a year ago. Up until a month or two ago things were working great. The settings in everything haven't changed and all of this was working fine as is. My speeds started dropping down to almost unusable levels. We are talking over 1000 ms pings and less than 1 mbps down and like .05 up. It sometimes will give me good speeds then right back to bad. I have had the phone company here working on it several times and the tech is a friend of mine. Since it's a phone company modem/router combo I have access to the admin side of it. The dsl statistics all look good and have up to 25mbps second link. I have tested it every way you can. I have taken everything out of the network except the desktop and still have bad speedtests and I know it's right because we have low quality on Netflix, Hulu, and Playon. The phone company tech is at a loss to find the problem and he is pretty good at his job. I have toyed with the security settings in the wireless and tweaked several settings such as the bandwitdth from 20 mghz to 40 and auto channel select and making sure they indoor doesn't overlap the outdoor by setting them to 6 and 11 respectively or 1 and 6, or 1 and 11 and nothing seems to fix it. The outdoor settings are what they have been and haven't changed from the time it worked great til now when it doesn't work. Any ideas?

forgot to add that I am only about 400 yards from the DSLAM so I am virtual fiber to my house with the connection from there to here being copper for the last 400 yards.

shilala
09-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Did your bud swap out your modem and reinitialize your sh1t?

kydsid
09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
How are your wired speeds. Can you map out your network for us, ex phone line->dsl modem->wireless router

Bill86
09-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm not the best with networking but this is what I would do.

Do you have an old modem you can test a hardwired speed directly to one computer? I'm not the biggest fan of modem/router combos especially directly from a cable company. Also do you have any neighbors with the same service that are experiencing the same issues? This would at least rule out the modem/router combo as the problem.

If you don't have an old modem you can just run to bestbuy or whatever pick up a docsis 3.0 and give that a shot. Return it after and whatnot.

You can also try resetting your router entirely. Just go back to the basic default settings, just save your old ones to your desktop. See if some settings are causing the issue. But if directly plugged in there is still an issue I'd aim to test that modem/router. I've never had a cable company give me a modem as good as any standard Docsis 3.0 Motorola or whatever.

EDIT Now that I think of it there was a time where Comcasts DNS server was having issues and went down. Trying changing your DNS server to Google DNS https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/?hl=en

That might be a long shot but it has been a problem several times in the past.

G G
09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Did your bud swap out your modem and reinitialize your sh1t?

The modem has to have some settings that they (phone company) sets. My stuff wasn't reset at all and I have went and checked all the settings and everything is the same as it always was.

How are your wired speeds. Can you map out your network for us, ex phone line->dsl modem->wireless router

If I disable the wireless on the modem/router, and the outdoor wireless and every fricken thing else ( I have it where everything plugs into the switch except the desktop, so I can segregate it all. When I have ONLY the desktop and it's hardwired the speed tests are the same. What we can't understand is all the xdsl stats are showing great attainable speeds and no errors.

shilala
09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Swap the modem out, stud.
I just had much the same nonsense. While it boiled down to the firmware on the modem, I still needed to swap out the modem.
You can also have your ISP flash your modem and see if that does the trick. It may, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

The worst part of these internet nodes and modems and so forth is that problems show themselves as intermittent reduced capacity, reduced capacity, or just gremlins.
I'm just suggesting based on my recent grief.
I replaced my brand new modem at over half it's cost after shipping and all, and it works great.
I just got a bad piece of hardware.
Yours has likely just had it's day in the sun.

kydsid
09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
The modem has to have some settings that they (phone company) sets. My stuff wasn't reset at all and I have went and checked all the settings and everything is the same as it always was.

If I disable the wireless on the modem/router, and the outdoor wireless and every fricken thing else ( I have it where everything plugs into the switch except the desktop, so I can segregate it all. When I have ONLY the desktop and it's hardwired the speed tests are the same. What we can't understand is all the xdsl stats are showing great attainable speeds and no errors.

Start with replacing the gateway.

OnlyDryReds
09-02-2015, 01:22 PM
If you didnt change anything - and it started a month ago and it is getting worse - then the issue probably is NOT inside your house... My best guess is that the DSLAM is getting overloaded... Bet your best speeds are LATE at night or when the kids around the neighborhood are at school?

Check with neighbors see if they are having speed issues also.

G G
09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Swap the modem out, stud.
I just had much the same nonsense. While it boiled down to the firmware on the modem, I still needed to swap out the modem.
You can also have your ISP flash your modem and see if that does the trick. It may, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

The worst part of these internet nodes and modems and so forth is that problems show themselves as intermittent reduced capacity, reduced capacity, or just gremlins.
I'm just suggesting based on my recent grief.
I replaced my brand new modem at over half it's cost after shipping and all, and it works great.
I just got a bad piece of hardware.
Yours has likely just had it's day in the sun.

Not disagreeing with you, but this modem/router was put in less than two months ago. They changed out the other one that was less than 2 years old when I first started having the problem, so I'm not saying it definitely ISN'T the modem, but it's happened with more than one.

G G
09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm not the best with networking but this is what I would do.

Do you have an old modem you can test a hardwired speed directly to one computer? I'm not the biggest fan of modem/router combos especially directly from a cable company. Also do you have any neighbors with the same service that are experiencing the same issues? This would at least rule out the modem/router combo as the problem.

If you don't have an old modem you can just run to bestbuy or whatever pick up a docsis 3.0 and give that a shot. Return it after and whatnot.

You can also try resetting your router entirely. Just go back to the basic default settings, just save your old ones to your desktop. See if some settings are causing the issue. But if directly plugged in there is still an issue I'd aim to test that modem/router. I've never had a cable company give me a modem as good as any standard Docsis 3.0 Motorola or whatever.

EDIT Now that I think of it there was a time where Comcasts DNS server was having issues and went down. Trying changing your DNS server to Google DNS https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/?hl=en

That might be a long shot but it has been a problem several times in the past.
I don't have a cable company. It's local phone company DSL which is my only option where I live other than satellite internet and I don't care for that. If I get a modem that I buy it has to have settings from the phone company from what I understand to work. I do know that they would have to delete the ip for the current modem and let the new one grab a new ip in order for it to work. Not saying that can't be done because it can and I may end up buying my own. I have also used google dns servers and others and it doesn't help.

G G
09-02-2015, 03:16 PM
If you didnt change anything - and it started a month ago and it is getting worse - then the issue probably is NOT inside your house... My best guess is that the DSLAM is getting overloaded... Bet your best speeds are LATE at night or when the kids around the neighborhood are at school?

Check with neighbors see if they are having speed issues also.

A few are having problems but not enough to say it's system wide. And the speeds aren't at certain times. It sucks pretty much all the time, with doing speedtests I might do a couple in a few minutes that test right, but immediately after it will do 10 that are bad. I have also pinged google from the command line and it returns 98% with over 1000 ms pingtimes.

G G
09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
I also think it's on their side of the ball too. My stuff is good. Plus the fact that I can take out my whole network with unplugging one Ethernet cable in the back of the modem and still get the same crappy tests with ONLY the desktop that is hardwired tells me it isn't my stuff.

longknocker
09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Won't The Phone Company Come Out & Fix it? I Have Had Much Less Trouble With My New ATT U Verse Compared To My Old DSL.

G G
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Won't The Phone Company Come Out & Fix it? I Have Had Much Less Trouble With My New ATT U Verse Compared To My Old DSL.

Yes, but that's the problem. They can't figure out what the problem is. I have had them at my house multiple times in the last two months and it's not fixed.

longknocker
09-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes, but that's the problem. They can't figure out what the problem is. I have had them at my house multiple times in the last two months and it's not fixed.

;s

CEC_Tech
09-03-2015, 09:20 PM
just a thought, but your neighbors could be hacking your wifi and dragging down your system. It's not a hard thing to do and most anyone can google what to do. It takes less than a day. You might also have a virus or someone installed a rootkit on your PC.

That might explain the latency, especially if your computer is part of a zombie network.

I could be way wrong, but something to look into.

hwgoesit
09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Sounds like an issue at the CO side. Do you have a splitter at the NiD, or is it splitter less DSL. If its splitter less, check that all your voice equipment and fax machines have line filters on them.

shilala
09-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I hear ya on the modem, brother.
If you have them out again, I'd still ask if they'll just momentarily swap it out.
That way you'll know 100% that it's on their side. Then you can start making serious stink.
They may accept that they've just changed it a few months ago as 100% proof positive.
I wouldn't. I won't bore you with the reasoning, I'd just have them start there next time they come out.
And have all your stuff unhooked back to the modem when they get there.

The only other thing I might do is update the driver for your NIC card.
Maybe flash it if you can.

DBall
09-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I also think it's on their side of the ball too. My stuff is good. Plus the fact that I can take out my whole network with unplugging one Ethernet cable in the back of the modem and still get the same crappy tests with ONLY the desktop that is hardwired tells me it isn't my stuff.

That is what you need to do with the field tech onsite and a higher level repair tech on the phone at the same time (techs have a "bat phone" number they can call into to get a tech ASAP usually). Have him bring a new modem and repeat the hardwired test with that as well.

Ask him for numbers relating to Margins (signal strength - higher numbers are better) and Attenuation (noise on line - lower numbers are better). Also, have them go to your slot and port on the DSLAM and plug in his laptop direct from there and speed test. Hell... feel free to PM me with a date and time and bridge me onto the phone and I'll talk to the techs. :tu

G G
09-04-2015, 05:52 PM
That is what you need to do with the field tech onsite and a higher level repair tech on the phone at the same time (techs have a "bat phone" number they can call into to get a tech ASAP usually). Have him bring a new modem and repeat the hardwired test with that as well.

Ask him for numbers relating to Margins (signal strength - higher numbers are better) and Attenuation (noise on line - lower numbers are better). Also, have them go to your slot and port on the DSLAM and plug in his laptop direct from there and speed test. Hell... feel free to PM me with a date and time and bridge me onto the phone and I'll talk to the techs. :tu
This is a small company and I am pretty sure there is no higher level repair tech. I do know that my port in the DSLAM has been changed. I would gladly let you talk to the tech but I doubt they would do that either, since most of the time they seem to think anyone that thinks they know more than they do are the devil. LOL. I am shooting for another modem.

G G
09-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Turns out that this is one for the "I never heard of that before" files. I purchased a new Dell Laptop from Bestbuy around the same time this all started. Long story short, it's the frigging wifi card in the laptop. Shut down the laptop problem goes away, start the laptop and problem is back. Read up on the wifi card in this laptop and it's crappy. Not only did it make the laptop slow but it also somehow made every other device on the network slow as well. Traded it out for another (same exact one) at bestbuy and guess what? Same thing. Will be going back to bestbuy and getting my money back and get something else. This is the first Dell I have ever purchased and am now scared to ever buy another one.

The Poet
09-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Weird indeed. I could understand if a funky wifi card screwed up the laptop, but screwing up the whole system? WTF? Plus I've not heard bad stuff about Dell either. I worked on a lot of their desktops (albeit not over wifi) and they spun like tops.

My laptop experience is limited to HP mainly, and they are . . . eh, meh. They do what I need anyway.

Good luck proceeding further.

CEC_Tech
09-20-2015, 02:37 PM
wow, that is a new one. Same here with dell, I have never had an issue with one. They usually just die of old age. Same with HP, the one I have from work is,.....meh. Lenovo is ok, long as you get the spyware off, lol.

G G
09-20-2015, 04:45 PM
I hear ya guys, but I have spent considerable time today searching and reading forums and evidently the wifi card in these are terrible. Also they are advertised as dual band AC and the majority of them aren't but single band. It's got me a little squeemish about Dell to say the least.

G G
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Little update. I called Dell before making the 45 mile trip to Bestbuy hopin they would make it good. I really liked this laptop except the wifi problem. Called and was on hold for 25 minutes. Finally the tech support person comes on and I tell her what the problem is with it being two brand new laptops and they both have the same wifi problem, coupled with the fact that even on Dells customer forums there are tons of people having this same problem. She says we can troubleshoot, and it's at that point that I told her I wasn't going to sit on the phone with them either telling me to do this and change that or either them taking over my computer to do so and still at the end it won't work. The lady tells me that they are not aware of there being a problem or they wouldn't still be selling this laptop. My offer to her was simply this: You can either send me a different wifi card and authorize me to install it without voiding my warranty, or you can send a tech to me to put one in it. She says at that point that they have a workaround for this, then I say you know what never mind, because you already told me that you don't have any awareness of a problem but you have a workaround? I told her if she couldn't do one of the things listed above then I was going to bestbuy and get my money back and never buy another Dell product, she says that is your choice so adios Dell. I just can't believe they would do that over a $30 wifi card. Maybe there are some that would say I was unreasonable but I expect something to work out of the box.

Porch Dweller
09-23-2015, 12:53 PM
That's not at all unreasonable to me.

G G
09-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Almost decided to get a macbook pro. After looking at prices though, i wonder if anyone here has an insider deal on them because I might have to go on foodstamps after buying one.

The Poet
09-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Apple controls the marketing of their products so tightly I have doubts any insider deals exist. But good luck with that.

shilala
09-24-2015, 04:14 PM
I bought a second-hand Macbook for my kid and it was still insanely expensive.
Try Latitude stuff at the outlet, Greg. They're business models, Dell's flagship, and VERY reliable.
You may need to be flexible with your wants versus your needs, but you'll do good.

G G
09-24-2015, 05:42 PM
I bought a second-hand Macbook for my kid and it was still insanely expensive.
Try Latitude stuff at the outlet, Greg. They're business models, Dell's flagship, and VERY reliable.
You may need to be flexible with your wants versus your needs, but you'll do good.

I am pretty much done with Dell Scott. I refuse to spend money with a company that will sell me something that won't work not once but twice and then go through that fiasco of a conversation with tech support, it's obvious they don't need my money.

Chainsaw13
09-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Greg, I have a fiend with a used MacBook he's looking to sell. I'll try to get the particulars and PM you the info. Afaik there's nothing wrong with it. It's his daughters and it's just too big for her to carry at college. I do know it's a 17". That's about it.

Chainsaw13
09-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Ok, just got info. It's an older unit, 2008, Core 2 duo, 2gig ram. Not sure on HD size. I though it was newer. If you're interested I can get you his email.

G G
09-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Ok, just got info. It's an older unit, 2008, Core 2 duo, 2gig ram. Not sure on HD size. I though it was newer. If you're interested I can get you his email.

I might could afford one that old, but I don't think I would like a 17 incher. Shoot me the email though and I will see what he's sellling it for.

G G
10-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Hey Bob, traded emails with your friend and the price was right but I just really don't want a 17 incher. I have ordered a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro with an i7 prcessor, 8 gigs of ram, and a 750 gig hard drive. I am awaiting it's arrival. I have poked around on the internet looking at how they work and actually had a chance to goof around on one yesterday. I don't think I will have a hard time converting at all. I also have an iphone, and an ipad air 2 so the melding of all of them together will probably be cool since they all work together. I think I will stay with Microsoft Office 365 for now as I have a subscription that's paid through 2019. My wife and I are currently using the 1 tb of storage per person to back up our photos and documents to the cloud. I am also going to buy either a Seagate Central or WD My Cloud to take the place of that though. Both of the aforementioned backup drives will automate using Time Machine for backups on the Mac and automate windows backup for he desktop and the wifes laptop, plus have enought room to backup all our photos for several years.

G G
10-16-2015, 06:23 PM
No one pays me any attention so I am updating this for the fun of it. :r

I got the macbook and am not sorry. I didn't have too hard of a time transitioning to it. Also the continuity between all three of my devices is great. I also stated above that I have a subscription to office 365 home that is paid until 2019, but already have decided to use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote instead of office since the documents on iCloud drive load faster and looks better as far as the app goes. I will still use One Note for notes since the Apple Notes app isn't no where near as powerful as One Note.

The Poet
10-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Glad you like it, and good luck with it into the future.

G G
10-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Glad you like it, and good luck with it into the future.

Thanks Thomas.:tu

shark
10-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Does Asus still make solid laptops? I know they are known for quality motherboards, and a few people I know bought laptops from them and have been very satisfied.

shark
10-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Does Asus still make solid laptops? I know they are known for quality motherboards, and a few people I know bought laptops from them and have been very satisfied.

{edit} I read that you already got another laptop after posting

G G
10-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Hey Ron, I was considering buying an asus, but kinda changed direction. I have heard good things about them, but have no personal experience with them at all.