PDA

View Full Version : 601 lovers take heed

duckmanco
12-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted yet, but if you dig the 601 lines, then you need to check out Thompson's deal with 5 packs.

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?sid=t3lsagionyv35beeblgs2a45&uid=2510&CategoryID=136&page=product

The more 5 packs you purchase, the cheaper they get, AND they allow you to buy multiple 5'ers of the same kind and still get the discount. So, long story long it amounts to 20 601 cigars for $60.00..... they only have the robusto size, but they have all 4 lines. Needless to say you won't get the box, BUT you get the cigars for 3.00 a piece! I also found this badboy here to get 2.95 shipping

http://www.dealtaker.com/ThompsonCigar-coupon-code-a1960-c.html

I copied and pasted that link into the promo code box at checkout and it worked fine for me. So, I paid 122.00 or so shipped for a box each of the Blue robusto, and the Green label tronco. The only downside I see to this not getting the cedar box, but oh well.

Ratters
12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
But is it worth it dealing with Thompson's "customer service"? :ss

Sweet deal though. :tu

borndead1
12-26-2008, 08:12 PM

:tpd:

I just can't bring myself to give those bastids one penny of my money. Quite a tempting deal though! :hn

duckmanco
12-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I know I have entered myself into a probable world of hell dealing with the company, but the deal was way too good to pass up, especially on probably my favorite Pepin made smokes.

shilala
12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I can't do it. I'd rather take a beating.

silentjon
12-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Great deal, but I can't give them any business.

ChasDen
12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I pulled the trigger on the deal twice.

20 601's and 20 of the RP Old World Reserves.

I do hate dealing with them but the cigars were fine and at that price I held my nose and bought them.

As for the sales calls, I gave them an ear full about 6 months ago and they stopped calling.

Chas

Don Fernando
12-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Ordered twice, first time it took them ages but eventually I got my two Soprano LE sets with the champagne bottle, bullet and bat shaped sticks and the two free CAO Cubist ashtrays. Second time they phucked up my order and their customer service sucked so hard that I decided never to do business with them again.

68TriShield
12-27-2008, 05:16 AM
I hope it goes smooth Dennis,those are some great cigars :tu

silentjon
12-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Ordered twice, first time it took them ages but eventually I got my two Soprano LE sets with the champagne bottle, bullet and bat shaped sticks and the two free CAO Cubist ashtrays. Second time they phucked up my order and their customer service sucked so hard that I decided never to do business with them again.

Their customer service (or lack there of) is why I won't give them anymore of my business.

SmokinApe
12-27-2008, 07:27 AM
$3 a pop for the greens is an incredible price...

duckmanco
12-27-2008, 12:02 PM
man, after reading this message I went and changed my phone number in hopes of avoiding the sales calls, but yikes you guys have me nervous.

shilala
12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
man, after reading this message I went and changed my phone number in hopes of avoiding the sales calls, but yikes you guys have me nervous.

They count on us being polite nice guys.
I just gave them the "will you please put me on your do not call list" and it solved the problem immediately.
The only time I've ordered from them was to try the Padilla Capa Clara's which were a Thompson's exclusive. I think I may have bought a lighter from them because they were the only ones who carried the RP five torch tabletop. No problems with the second order because I was already on the do not call list.
I made sure I got insurance on my shipping as I know how they are about customer service. Fortunately there were no problems with my order, although it took a week till they shipped. I wasn't in any hurry, so that didn't matter either. :)

bilkay
12-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Call me a sucker but I had to buy 20 Greens. I thought about buying 20 Reds but I probably still have 15 left in the cooler. If I didn't have bids in on the devil site for the DPG 20 cigar sampler and the new 5 Vegas Cask Strength II (OK, call me a sucker again if you want to, I had to try them), I probably would have bought more 601s from Thompsons.

My bad.

Fullauto
12-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I know I will probably regret this but I just couldn’t resist. I got the $2.95 shipping which put me at $3.15 per stick for the 601 Black. From everything I have heard this will most likely be a nightmare but what the hell I am a whore for good sticks.

brigey57
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Sweet deal though. :tu

Oh, so true. Plus what else will be charged to your CC account?? :fl :mad:

groogs
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Nice deal, but I don't think it is worth the trouble.

Drazzil
12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Heads up folks. I SERIOUSLY wouldn't order from Thompson. Their sticks arrive dried out and they are also under a court order to disclose credit card info addresses and purchase amounts for state tax purposes, and even before this they willingly handed out such info. Add to this the horrible customer support and the fact that they sell and rent your customer info to the highest bidder, and you have a perfect shitstorm of charlie foxtrot proportions.

There are multiple threads on multiple forums about this issue(s) and I would exercise a serious amount of Caveat Emptor about ordering from this site.

dannysguitar
12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I also think its an awesome deal, but don't wanna deal with Thompsons. Great smokes tho!

wayner123
12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
CI has a similar deal. You can get 4 - 5er's of the 601's for $20 each, which equals $80, but there are a few free shipping codes around as well. So for $1 more per cigar, you can get CI customer service. They also have that same deal on a variety of other 5er's.

duckmanco
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Heads up folks. I SERIOUSLY wouldn't order from Thompson. Their sticks arrive dried out and they are also under a court order to disclose credit card info addresses and purchase amounts for state tax purposes, and even before this they willingly handed out such info. Add to this the horrible customer support and the fact that they sell and rent your customer info to the highest bidder, and you have a perfect shitstorm of charlie foxtrot proportions.

There are multiple threads on multiple forums about this issue(s) and I would exercise a serious amount of Caveat Emptor about ordering from this site.

Wow, I knew they were bad going in, but not quite that bad. I thought I may get a few extra catalogs and some sales calls, but f*ck me that doesn't sound like anything I want to do deal with. Wait and see I guess.

Cigary
12-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Wow, I knew they were bad going in, but not quite that bad. I thought I may get a few extra catalogs and some sales calls, but f*ck me that doesn't sound like anything I want to do deal with. Wait and see I guess.

Yessirree Bob,,,,when dealing w/Thompsons the only thing you want them to get right is the address they are sending smokes to and let them know that it is a temporary address that you will cancel after you get your order. It would have to be an extraordinary sale for me to order from these pin heads. I moved from San Diego to Atlanta and these guys found me as I didn't leave a forwarding address. They should license themselves and go after Bin Laden,,,I'm sure they could ferret out this a$$hole in a couple of weeks.

Rabidsquirrel
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I ordered a humidor from them, and aside from one phone call nearly a year ago and the occasional catalog (hey, I like to look at cigars, regardless of the company), they haven't bothered me.

duckmanco
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
UPDATE:

Got my order of (40) 601 robustos, split among the BP maduro, and the Habano Oscuro Tronco. These things are in perfect condition, and surprisingly, don't appear to be too wet, nor too dry. Of course, this is all based on the "pinch the foot" test, which I use to gauge how the draw will be. The only issue I noticed, has to do with the BP maduros; they seem to be not quite as boxed pressed as the ones in the box I purchased. I am betting that TACUBA presses this cigar, using the cedar box they ship in. I noticed with the box I purchased a few months back that the cello seemed to be MORE than skin tight to the cigars and even had some indentations in it. So, with these 5 packs, the box press is not quite as sharp, but this really is splitting hairs, as the press is still there, they look perfect, and smell like mocha'ey barnyard greatness. The troncos are perfect as well.

So, so far, I am very pleased with my order but of course, I am waiting for Thompson to bother/screw me........I'll update then too.

joeybear
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I made two separate orders with Thompson. Total of 60 601s (20 each of the red, green, and blue) and 20 LFD 600s. I had no issues at all and have not received any phone calls or anything hinky so far and it's been over a month. All cigars were received in ideal condition, too.