PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favorite movie?

AdamJoshua
08-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Just curious, I was thinking about it today and I have several "favorite" movies but if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose one, it wouldn't take much hesitation to say "The Breakfast Club", from the very first minute to the very last it's a solid movie that, excuse the studio marketing term, defined a generation. Not only did it resonate with so many people, it has withstood the test of time, how can you go wrong with lines like, "Hey, homeboy, what do you say we close that door, we'll get the prom queen impregnated.". :lr

So if you know what your #1 is let's hear it.

Porch Dweller
08-13-2015, 04:58 PM
I'd probably have to say "Miller's Crossing". IMNSHO it's the Coen Bros best film, has flawless performances, the best Tommy Gun scene ever (bonus for Albert Finney restarting his cigar at the end of the scene), some genuinely laugh out loud moments, a complex but accessible plot, some shocking twists and turns, and features some gorgeous cinematography.
The first time I saw it I found it a bit cold and dour. It wasn't until subsequent viewings that I appreciated it fully.
And I know some consider it heresy to say this, but it's as good if not better a gangster film than "The Godfather".

Second place would probably go to "Patton".

icehog3
08-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Do you have a favorite movie?

Yes. Yes I do.

The Poet
08-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Yes. Yes I do.

:tpd:

AdamJoshua
08-13-2015, 05:51 PM
For those that can't read past the title.

So if you know what your #1 is let's hear it.

nutcracker
08-13-2015, 07:16 PM
A fish called Wanda.

AdamJoshua
08-13-2015, 07:45 PM
A fish called Wanda.

Actually in my top 5, as a matter of fact I think that's what I'll watch tonight, can always use a laugh. :tu

mosesbotbol
08-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Breaking Away has always been high on my list.

CigarNut
08-13-2015, 09:11 PM
The Shawshank Redemption

T.G
08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Anything by Uwe Boll.

Subvet642
08-13-2015, 09:46 PM
The Thin Man (1935) with William Powell and Myrna Loy

joatmon
08-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Watchmen

Genetic Defect
08-14-2015, 12:21 AM
https://youtu.be/NjN-PLW521s

irratebass
08-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Don't laugh, but it's Sixteen Candles to me it has everything:

Comedy
Action
Adventure
Suspense
Drama

+ it has the classic line "What the hell are you *****ing about? I have sleep under a guy named after a duck's dork"

drjammer
08-14-2015, 06:46 AM
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly :tu

jledou
08-14-2015, 06:48 AM
I like Good Will Hunting on the serious side, the Star Wars series for sci fi and I always go back to Christmas Vacation every year to make the season right.

dave
08-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Gun to my head.....Pulp Fiction, I suppose

elderboy02
08-14-2015, 07:11 AM
I would say Training Day.

Denzel Washington's best performance ever!

RJrocker
08-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Interstellar

Dave128
08-14-2015, 09:14 AM
I know I'm not following the OPs request, but I can't seem to choose between these three: The Breakfast Club, Drum Line and The Shawshank Redemption.

icehog3
08-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Can't do it either, so I'll try by genre.

Western - Unforgiven
Horror - The Shining
Drama - Se7en
Comedy - Pulp Fiction

JIMBETHYNAME
08-14-2015, 08:02 PM
fast times at ridgemont high

AdamJoshua
08-14-2015, 08:48 PM
fast times at ridgemont high

We had good damn movies as kids, then the next generation went all stupid for metro-sexual vampires and that was that.

:sl

kelmac07
08-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Rudy (Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy)

mosesbotbol
08-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Can't do it either, so I'll try by genre.

Western - Unforgiven
Horror - The Shining
Drama - Se7en
Comedy - Pulp Fiction

Don't have a favorite western... -(P

Horror - "Session 9" or "Event Horizon"
Comedy - "Friday" or "Up in Smoke"

jonumberone
08-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Goodfellas

Col. Kurtz
08-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Apocalypse now. Shocker.

JohnnyFlake
08-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Several mentioned already, are in my top 25, but stating that one is my favorite, is simply impossible! There have been many great stories put on film, a host of fabulous roles played by far too many actors/actresses and an incredible amount of amazing special effects. Can you really pick one as your absolute favorite over all the others??? I would have a hard time narrowing it down to my top 25!!!

pnoon
08-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Several mentioned already, are in my top 25, but stating that one is my favorite, is simply impossible! There have been many great stories put on film, a host of fabulous roles played by far too many actors/actresses and an incredible amount of amazing special effects. Can you really pick one as your absolute favorite over all the others??? I would have a hard time narrowing it down to my top 25!!!

Stick
08-16-2015, 10:53 AM
[SNIP]

:tpd: But for the sake of the OP and thread I'll say Clerks.

mosesbotbol
08-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Apocalypse now. Shocker.

Great movie. On my tops list too :tu

wonmotyme
08-17-2015, 08:29 AM
The illusionist or The Usual Suspects. Can't decide between the 2

Brian D.
08-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Got a weakness for comedy. Seems like critics and the Academy Awards look down on that genre. It's not easy to do one that's clever and hysterical; the actors have to have great timing and inflection unless the film is all slapstick stuff.

Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal still slay me with Throw Momma From The Train . Why they never paired up again I don't get.

So low brow as that might make me it's my favorite movie.

Starscream
10-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Most days my favorite movie is "The Empire Stikes Back". Some days "The Goonies" gives "Empire" a run for it's money for my favorite. "The Bride of Frankenstein" is pretty close too. "Empire" only slightly beats those two for me.

heyferg
10-27-2015, 07:17 PM
The Thin Man (1935) with William Powell and Myrna Loy

:tu

LOVE The Thin Man series. I even had a terrier named Asta!

rwiiames
10-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Casablanca

shilala
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
No idea.
But if I was hooked up to wires and bedsprings, I could probably narrow it down to something where Christopher Walken at least has a cameo.

Honestly, I have layers of like.
1.) I'll watch it again.
2.) I'll watch it any time someone wants to watch it.
3.) I suggest we watch it when nobody can make a decision and I've already seen it 20+ times.

Then there's movies that are just technically perfect. Well cast, great script. Incredible video. I love a lot of those that I just don't watch as often, but I enjoy as much as anything that might be "my favorite".

Probably something Quentin Tarentino like Pulp Fiction or True Romance.

JohnnyFlake
10-28-2015, 11:33 AM
I'd probably have to say "Miller's Crossing". IMNSHO it's the Coen Bros best film, has flawless performances, the best Tommy Gun scene ever (bonus for Albert Finney restarting his cigar at the end of the scene), some genuinely laugh out loud moments, a complex but accessible plot, some shocking twists and turns, and features some gorgeous cinematography.
The first time I saw it I found it a bit cold and dour. It wasn't until subsequent viewings that I appreciated it fully.
And I know some consider it heresy to say this, but it's as good if not better a gangster film than "The Godfather".

Second place would probably go to "Patton".

"Millers Crossing" is an absolute classic, that almost seems unknown, to most people. A very worthy movie in all respects!

Sadly, I cannot pick a single favorite movie. There are far too many variations, the story line, special effects, the actors themselves, etc. It would be hard for me to pick my top 25 out of the thousands of movies I have seen in my life time!

mosesbotbol
10-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Casablanca

Love that movie. Can watch that one over and over. The dueling chorus singing in at the bar is such a powerful scene.

icehog3
10-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Take note, massphatness! :D

shilala
10-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Take note, massphatness! :D
You're gonna have to explain that, Admiral.

I think the only Tarantino movie that sucked was the one he did with (or against) Robert Rodriquez. The Grindhouse Films (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindhouse_(film)).

I watched that stupid movie with Selma Hayek (at the peak of her hotness) with the snake awhile ago. The biker bar turns into a vampire coven and Cheech is in it.
I was thinking that was Planet Horror, but I realize it's not.
So now I have to watch both of those movies again to see if they still suck.

icehog3
10-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Vin told me this weekend he has never seen True Romance, I found that crazy with his taste in movies.

Dusk Til Dawn is the Selma flick with Cheech.

I hated half the Grindhouse (I think Planet Terror), but loved DeathProof with Kurt Russell.

JohnnyFlake
10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Vin told me this weekend he has never seen True Romance, I found that crazy with his taste in movies.

Dusk Til Dawn is the Selma flick with Cheech.

I hated half the Grindhouse (I think Planet Terror), but loved DeathProof with Kurt Russell.

That's sad! What a great movie! I am not sure, but I believe it was Mr. Gandolfini's (AKA Suprano's) first movie.

Stephen
10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
No idea.
But if I was hooked up to wires and bedsprings, I could probably narrow it down to something where Christopher Walken at least has a cameo.

Honestly, I have layers of like.
1.) I'll watch it again.
2.) I'll watch it any time someone wants to watch it.
3.) I suggest we watch it when nobody can make a decision and I've already seen it 20+ times.

Then there's movies that are just technically perfect. Well cast, great script. Incredible video. I love a lot of those that I just don't watch as often, but I enjoy as much as anything that might be "my favorite".

Didn't you and I talk about this movie not too terribly long ago? Damn, now I think I'm going to watch again this weekend.

shilala
10-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Didn't you and I talk about this movie not too terribly long ago? Damn, now I think I'm going to watch again this weekend.
Maybe. The Hopkins/Walken video got dragged up from Youtube.
It's a lot better when you know what the whole story is around it.

badbriar
10-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Quigley Down Under :banger