PDA

View Full Version : Satellite vs Cable

Steve
06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
I am about fed up with Comcast. For the second day in a row they have shut off our cable because they screwed up out billing. my wife came home to relax and watch some tube after her radiation treatment and she is beside herself in frustration and anger that after almost an hour and a half on the phone with them yesterday, it's back to stage one again.

I am looking at direct tv. I have heard satellite goes out during storms, etc., so I am asking here for the straight scoop.

Thanks in advance.

shilala
06-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Directv seems to only go out for the last 10 minutes of the Cup Finals, World Series, or Super Bowl, Steve.
Were it not for the NFL package, we wouldn't have it.
Our option is Time Warner Cable, which is pretty good cable-wise. Their internet service sucks, but it's the only game in town.

I can't fault Directv, really. We're pleased.
Just don't expect any better service.

Flynnster
06-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Generally, as long as your dish is placed properly, you won't lose signal very often at all with satellite. It's much better than is used to be.

MarkinAZ
06-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Used to have all bundled through Time Warner (internet, tv, and telephone). We were tired of sub par tech and admin service, and broke up the bundle. Still have TW for the 100Mps speed, NetDuo for the $3 per cost, and a basic package through DirectTV. We've had no problems with DT to date, and the signal quality along with the HD channels are great. We've had a couple of stormy/cloudy days out this way with no issues.

larryinlc
06-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I had dishnet for years. Sometimes it would drop signal at the slightest hint of a storm while other times it hung in there pretty well. The first to go is the HD followed by SD and then nothing. Winter snow is also a problem when it accumulates on the dish. It will always be a problem with small dishes. I no longer worry....I have video service through my local telephone company which is impervious to the elements.

Larry

hotreds
06-22-2015, 01:36 PM
I was very pleased with D-TV when we had it. Now that I'm mostly in Va, saw no reason to keep it in Ohio! But, wouldn't hesitate to get it again! ( My Dad has everything through FIOS, don't want to change things and confuse him!)

icehog3
06-22-2015, 01:44 PM
My DirecTV goes out when it rains super hard. It's frustrating when that happens, byt still better service and customer service than I got from Comcast. :2

jjirons69
06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
DishNetwork here for 14 years. The worst storms will knock it out, but I have 6 local OTA channels so I usually resort back to them or the DVR when the storms happen. Mainly a summer thing when the big thunderboomers are cruising through. I unplug the TVs anyway when they're around. My sister/BIL have DirectTV and they seem to like it, also.

Mention me and you get $50 off and I get $50 off! :tu

Malakai
06-22-2015, 03:44 PM
I have only had DTV go out twice both during good size storms but not any other time. I hated Timewarner and glad I left them 4 years ago...though the only thing I keep them for is internet now, the packages for internet through DTV is horrible.

The Poet
06-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Mention me and you get $50 off and I get $50 off! :tu

OK, Jamie, you are mentioned. Don't know how your provider can possibly know that, so good luck getting your 50 bucks from them. Me, I'm assuming you're gonna send me mine. :D

jjirons69
06-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Check's in the mail!

Blueface
06-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Man, tough choice.
Sort of do want to be put to death by infestation of fleas from a thousand camels or do you prefer to die during water boarding?

mosesbotbol
06-23-2015, 08:27 AM
At least with Satellite, you have an opportunity for decoders and the like that is not available with cable (should that be of interest). It only works with one of the two providers and the techniques work quite well. There are forums on this subject

Scottastic
06-23-2015, 09:57 AM
For sports, nothing beats DTV. Curious, though, can you get AT&T Uverse at your address?

WhiteMamba
06-23-2015, 10:21 AM
We have direct here in Indiana. Like everyone else says with bad storms the he will go out but I have found that sometimes standard def will still work during a bad storm. For us the price seems to go up from time to time. Like anything else there is always hidden fees. To get the discount for referring someone the person needs your account number or something like that.

E.J.
06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
I switched from DirecTv to Dish Network for the PAC12 Network. I was really happy with DirecTv, but am just as pleased with Dish, if not more. I have the "Everything" package, as I did with DirecTv, think I pay a little less. I'd rather have the PAC12 network over the NFL Ticket, but I'm in the minority there.

Had Comcast before, either sat is better than cable for me.

As far as going out, rarely, but it happens a few times a year. IE: BIG SNOW/RAIN storms, usually not for long.

The Poet
06-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Me, I have rabbit ears, and get about 40 channels for nothing.

But that's not why I'm here. I have a friend who worked for Dish as a phone rep salesperson for a few years. He told me repeatedly that Dish was absolutely the worst company in the world, and so it was no shock to me when they were actually named that around that same time. And I am constantly bemused to see that several times each year Dish cuts off certain channels because they don't want to pay for the rights. Oh, and my buddy refused his employee-discount Dish service, and kept his cable.

Hey, I've no dog in this . . . just relating stories.