PDA

View Full Version : L.J. Peretti Boston

pattersong
04-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey Friends,

I'm wondering if anyone here would recommend L.J. Peretti in Boston as a decent place to purchase cigars? I'm heading there in a few weeks, and I see that shop is very close to where I will be.

Do they have a decent selection? I'll be looking to buy a box...maybe a Davidoff Nica, Curivari BV560, or EP Carillo...

Cheers!

mosesbotbol
04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
They're an excellent cigar shop for both cigars and accessories. They should have just about everything you could want at "non ripoff" prices.

I'd also recommend visiting http://www.leavitt-peirce.com/ in Harvard Sq. Great atmosphere both around Harvard Sq and within the store. You won't find many tobacco stores that look like it in North America.

Are you staying at the Four Seasons?

pattersong
04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Excellent! Thank you so much for your recommendations. Boston is one of my favorite cities. I believe the hotel is the park plaza.

Cheers!

ksknnr
04-22-2015, 12:30 PM
I have only been there one time, but guy working was very friendly, and prices were decent. Park Plaza is a nice hotel. There is a nice public garden across the street you could have a smoke, or check our Stanza De sigari in the north end, great little cigar bar.
stanzadeisigari.com

mosesbotbol
04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
There is a nice public garden across the street you could have a smoke, or check our Stanza De sigari in the north end, great little cigar bar.
stanzadeisigari.com

There's no smoking allowed in the park or on sidewalks...

Stanza is your best bet to enjoy a cigar. Il Panino Express next door is your most budget friendly / food quality choice in the North End unless you want a more fancy style dinner. Strega is quite popular in the North End.

If you want epic food and outstanding wine list, Troquet is the place to go and right near by you on Tremont.

Via Matta is right next to your hotel and one of the best Italian restaurants around.

MarkinAZ
04-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Greg, I have never visited LJP in-person, but have made phone-in orders for pipe tobacco with them. The customer service was excellent. In addition to pipe tobacco, it appears they have a good selection of cigars and various accessories. Enjoy your stay in Boston...

Thaser11
04-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Stanza is your best bet to enjoy a cigar. Il Panino Express next door is your most budget friendly / food quality choice in the North End unless you want a more fancy style dinner. Strega is quite popular in the North End.

If you want epic food and outstanding wine list, Troquet is the place to go and right near by you on Tremont.

Via Matta is right next to your hotel and one of the best Italian restaurants around.

I would have to double check to be definite but I'm pretty sure MA (but it may just be Boston) passed a law a little while back so there's no smoking in any public area, which is added on to restaurants and bars. Making just about the only place safe to smoke is in your basement under a blanket with a flashlight.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksknnr
04-22-2015, 05:13 PM
yes, you guys are correct about the smoking in the garden, but if your minding your own business away from people no one bothers you. But you can definitley still go to Stanzi in the north end.

icehog3
04-22-2015, 05:15 PM
I have been to Stanzi a few times now, I dig the place. Gots atmosphere, Cat.

Subvet642
04-22-2015, 08:57 PM

I work at one of the colleges on the Common and I smoke on those sidewalks everyday. The police couldn't give a crap less. If anyone else gives you crap, flip them off; it's the Boston way. Most busy-bodies will back down if you're assertive. BTW, the neighborhood is a friggin' zoo at night. Some of the nastiest hookers you've ever seen. No one cares about who's smoking what.

mi000ke
04-23-2015, 05:32 AM
My advice would be to skip Stanza and get an Uber or taxi to Cigar and Lounge in Watertown. It's about 5 miles from your hotel. Great selection of cigars at good prices and and incredibly friendly place to smoke.

ksknnr
04-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Cigar Lounge in Watertown is a great place also, but no Booze, at least they didn't last time I went over a year ago. Just a heads up in case you were looking for a drink with your smoke.

pattersong
04-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I would have to double check to be definite but I'm pretty sure MA (but it may just be Boston) passed a law a little while back so there's no smoking in any public area, which is added on to restaurants and bars. Making just about the only place safe to smoke is in your basement under a blanket with a flashlight.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in a while. Sadly, that is exactly what it's like to smoke cigars safely in Ontario Canada these days.

Some great suggestions gentlemen. Thank you!

mosesbotbol
04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
My advice would be to skip Stanza and get an Uber or taxi to Cigar and Lounge in Watertown. It's about 5 miles from your hotel. Great selection of cigars at good prices and and incredibly friendly place to smoke.

About $40 each way from his hotel

mi000ke
04-29-2015, 07:54 PM
About $40 each way from his hotel

Just chekced with Uber and it would be about $16 each way for an Uber X. Taxi for the 7 mile trip would be about $25 plus tip.

mosesbotbol
04-30-2015, 05:07 AM
Just chekced with Uber and it would be about $16 each way for an Uber X. Taxi for the 7 mile trip would be about $25 plus tip.

Rates are usually 2-3x the basic rate when you actually want to use Uber. I live near by the cigar place in Watertown and take cabs and/or Uber to Back Bay, downtown, Logan... all the time. Taxi has actually been cheaper the last few times over Uber, FWIW.

mi000ke
05-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Rates are usually 2-3x the basic rate when you actually want to use Uber. I live near by the cigar place in Watertown and take cabs and/or Uber to Back Bay, downtown, Logan... all the time. Taxi has actually been cheaper the last few times over Uber, FWIW.

Yeah,uber does vary the price based on demand, but usually (but not always) less than a cab. I took an uber to Logan airport from Watertown last week for $18 total. Cab plus tolls, fees and tips is about $40. I never use cabs these days. Anyway Cigar and Lounge is still a nice take.

Glad to hear about another C&L customer. Really want those guys to make a success of it...

mosesbotbol
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I took an uber to Logan airport from Watertown last week for $18 total. Cab plus tolls, fees and tips is about $40.

That is cheap.

pattersong
06-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Good morning Friends.

Just a quick thank you to all for the great advice I received regarding LJ Peretti. I was successful in tracking down the shop.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=8872

mi000ke
07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Nice selection. We're you able to smoke outside?

mosesbotbol
07-08-2015, 05:36 AM
How's that Davidoff?

pattersong
07-08-2015, 08:24 AM
I didn't smoke outside, but I don't recall seeing anything that would have stopped anyone...the park with the golden ducks would have suited a cigar very nicely!

mosesbotbol
07-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I didn't smoke outside, but I don't recall seeing anything that would have stopped anyone...the park with the golden ducks would have suited a cigar very nicely!

Against the law to smoke on public property in Boston.

Subvet642
07-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Against the law to smoke on public property in Boston.

I do it every day, on that very same sidewalk, and nobody cares.

mosesbotbol
07-09-2015, 06:51 AM
I do it every day, on that very same sidewalk, and nobody cares.

Law breaker -(P

Subvet642
07-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Law breaker -(P

Stupid law. The State refers to the tobacco tax as a "user fee". I pay the damned fee, I use the product. One cannot rightfully charge a fee for something and then deny the payer what they've paid for.

pattersong
07-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Stupid law. The State refers to the tobacco tax as a "user fee". I pay the damned fee, I use the product. One cannot rightfully charge a fee for something and then deny the payer what they've paid for.

Well said!

mosesbotbol
07-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Sure they can. Just like you can't have open containers of alcohol in public. They are not denying you the product, just limiting the scope of where you can use it.

We all know 2nd hand smoke is so dangerous in the open air...

Subvet642
07-16-2015, 02:23 AM
Sure they can. Just like you can't have open containers of alcohol in public. They are not denying you the product, just limiting the scope of where you can use it.

Perhaps, but they also claim the right to deny the use of tobacco on private property, as well. And what is the sanction for that? A fine; more money. I'm sick of getting shoved around by our public servants.

mosesbotbol
07-16-2015, 03:54 AM
Perhaps, but they also claim the right to deny the use of tobacco on private property, as well.

What law is that? I am unfamiliar with that one.

pattersong
07-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Private property? That's starting to sound like Canada. I guess smoking under a blanket in your basement can still hurt someone's feelings who lives on the other side of the street.

Subvet642
07-16-2015, 08:29 AM
What law is that? I am unfamiliar with that one.

Restaurants, bars, etc., regardless of what the owner wants.

I remember the days when I could have a cigarette, a steak and a whiskey on the table at the same time; glorious!
If anyone wants to drag me into court over a smoke, I'll happily comply, I'll pay the damned fine, but I'll have my say!

Subvet642
07-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Restaurants, bars, etc., regardless of what the owner wants.

I remember the days when I could have a cigarette, a steak and a whiskey on the table at the same time; glorious!
If anyone wants to drag me into court over a smoke, I'll happily comply, I'll pay the damned fine, but I'll have my say!

Since they passed that law, every bar and pub now has drunks standing on the sidewalks, smoking, because they can't smoke inside. Quincy center has become blighted because of it.

mosesbotbol
07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
You use to be able to smoke in the Dunhill store on Newbury while trying on bespoke clothes & sipping a Scotch. Last Dunhill store I went to in December wasn't even selling cigars...

Subvet642
07-16-2015, 09:25 PM
You use to be able to smoke in the Dunhill store on Newbury while trying on bespoke clothes & sipping a Scotch. Last Dunhill store I went to in December wasn't even selling cigars...

I'm just sick of being treated like a pariah and being made to pay (higher taxes) for the privilege.

I know I've come off pretty grumpy lately, all around, but it's not always easy to keep a sunny attitude. I'll try to lighten up; I'm starting to irritate myself.