PDA

View Full Version : The Riches of Spring

nutcracker
04-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Well, it is the first really fine day in a long while (at least October), and so I got to sit in the sun in the nearby park and enjoy a leisurely cigar.

A Tat "La Riqueza" (the "riches") a Nicaraguan puro courtesy of a great BOTL.

This one is a corona gorda I think, with a dark toothy wrapper. Now I tend towards CCs, which in musical terms are like an elegant quartet. The Riqueza is more like a symphony. It started out quietly with some earth, grassland, coffee flavors, but hits a steady crescendo of full throttle flavor and power. Touted as medium bodied smoke on the Tatuaje website - I think not!

It builds up flavors of solid smoky bacon and maple, the deep dark coffee as an underbelly. I found myself needing a glass of bourbon! (Not happening at noon on a work day!)

Maybe it was my buoyant mood with the sunny day, but it was a fantastic smoke!

Remo
04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Well, it is the first really fine day in a long while (at least October), and so I got to sit in the sun in the nearby park and enjoy a leisurely cigar.

A Tat "La Riqueza" (the "riches") a Nicaraguan puro courtesy of a great BOTL.

This one is a corona gorda I think, with a dark toothy wrapper. Now I tend towards CCs, which in musical terms are like an elegant quartet. The Riqueza is more like a symphony. It started out quietly with some earth, grassland, coffee flavors, but hits a steady crescendo of full throttle flavor and power. Touted as medium bodied smoke on the Tatuaje website - I think not!

It builds up flavors of solid smoky bacon and maple, the deep dark coffee as an underbelly. I found myself needing a glass of bourbon! (Not happening at noon on a work day!)

Maybe it was my buoyant mood with the sunny day, but it was a fantastic smoke!

I love these smokes, I have some well aged Petit Robusto's that are smoking great!!

Chainsaw13
04-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Excellent review. I've always been a fan of the #4 Riqueza.

stearns
04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Love the Ricky's. When these first came out, smoked fresh (a couple weeks after the initial release) they had a faint but noticeable black cherry flavor to them. it was awesome. I've smoked recently made fresh ones and aged original releases and never found that flavor again, but they have always intrigued me. I always keep a couple around :ss

shilala
04-14-2015, 01:39 PM
I remember them when they were new, Ben. Box pressed corona gorda then, weren't they? I remember that flavor, too. Black cherry, just like you said.
I went through a number of boxes until I got one that was just plain flat in comparison.
Shame, they were phenomenal.
The only Tat I ever liked. Sigh. :)

stearns
04-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Box pressed and rustic looking. beautiful little ugly bugger :tu

nutcracker
04-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Box pressed and rustic looking. beautiful little ugly bugger :tu

Toothy too - could sandpaper a cabinet with it.

The Poet
04-14-2015, 02:49 PM
The Waste Land
By T. S. Eliot

FOR EZRA POUND
IL MIGLIOR FABBRO
I. The Burial of the Dead

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm’ aus Litauen, echt deutsch.
And when we were children, staying at the arch-duke’s,
My cousin’s, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

shilala
04-14-2015, 03:21 PM
...The Greater Craftsman.
I love that dedication to Eliot's mentor.