PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a newbie

Krish the Fish
04-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm not the newbie in the title, but my brother really wants to get into cigars and I thought it would be a good birthday present to get him a humidor (I'm getting him a large Savoy Boveda), stock it with cigars, and get him all the accessories he needs to enjoy the hobby!

So far I've put a humidor on order with my local B&M, ordered him a cigar journal, a stinky, Palio straight cutter, Xikar VX, a Xikar punch, and two Xikar lighters. I also have been picking up some 5 packs, samplers, or singles on the devil site to really get him a good well rounded introduction to cigars.

My question to you guys is "What cigars would you recommend for a new cigar smoker?" I've been trying to stay away from anything I haven't had myself, or that I know is bad, but I've basically just ended up getting him 40 cigars that I like. So far I've gotten 5 Vegas classic/A/AAA, RP sun grown, NMSS lancero (one of my favorites), a CLE connecticut, Oliva G, CAO Brazilia (I remember liking these when I first started smoking cigars), and some RP "Royal Vintage".

I've been smoking cigars for a long time now so I don't have a very well rounded look at cigars any more (I smoke the same 3 cigars pretty much exclusively when I'm at the B&M), so I was hoping I could get some help from you guys with things that I wouldn't have generally thought of, and for things that you think would be good for a newbie cigar smoker.

Thanks a ton!

Wharf Rat
04-12-2015, 01:20 PM
I'd suggest giving him some cigars that represent the typical tastes that come from different countries. How about: Domincan (Fuente, LFD), Honduras (A Bradley, Excalibur), Nicaragua (Pepin, Oliva), etc,

Porch Dweller
04-12-2015, 02:25 PM
I'd throw in some milder cigars to get his feet wet along with more stout offerings: Oliva and/or RP Connecticut, Gran Habano #1, 5 Vegas Gold, Ashton, Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta, etc.

Tio Gato
04-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Wow. You're a good brother. He's off to a great start. I'd get him an an assortment of wrapper types. Maduro look strong but they can add a sweetness that he may like. Fuente's as suggested would be good as you could give him some with CT shade, CT broadleaf and sungrown in the same vitolas.:tu

Krish the Fish
04-12-2015, 04:02 PM
I love all the ideas so far!

Milder cigars are something I probably should have thought about, but haven't... Thanks for the idea! Didn't think about getting him different wrappers of the same stick... I think that would help him figure out what he likes a ton! And I was thinking about different regions, but didn't think about the brands. Fuentes and LFDs will definitely be on my list, along with some Padrons too. Don Pepin classic & L'Atelier are two of my favorites too, and I got him some Olivas too, so I'll have some Nicaraguan tobacco in there too. Honduras I didn't even think about, I'll definitely get something in there for him!

Thanks again guys for the great ideas, and keep em coming!

AdamJoshua
04-12-2015, 05:12 PM
I started out on nat sherman timeless no 2, they were a little above mild and were really great, I think I got them off devil site or one of the other sites, they weren't that expensive and again they were very good.

Dave128
04-13-2015, 08:11 AM
That's awesome! I started out with a couple samplers from the back of my Field & Stream that came with a cheap humidor to hold them. Then I found my local B&M.

BTW - Will you be my brother???

mosesbotbol
04-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I'd suggest giving him some cigars that represent the typical tastes that come from different countries. How about: Domincan (Fuente, LFD), Honduras (A Bradley, Excalibur), Nicaragua (Pepin, Oliva), etc,

This is a good idea.

Krish the Fish
04-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Alright I've got some Dominican and Nicaraguan tobacco on the way... Any recommendation for specific cigars that are Honduran or from a different country/region?

Thanks again for all your help, everyone's been so helpful!