PDA

View Full Version : Resume Advice Requested...

badbriar
03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Have a situation at my work that I am no longer willing to put up with and would like some constructive advice. Anyone know of a good quality resume service they would personally recommend? I do have my resume together, but would like to have a professional review and update it. Seems that well written, true facts are no longer in vogue and it is more important to include buzz words that generate computer hits are what gets the worm now. I have not interviewed in a while and am not one to put forth an act. My style is more direct, honest and on point. I believe in never overselling, nor underselling oneself and being straightforward with employers. Advice?

shilala
03-30-2015, 08:35 AM
My wife does resume's. She's on the phone, I'll ask if she has time.

shilala
03-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Rob, she said she'd take a look and see what she can do for ya.
I'll pm her email.

badbriar
03-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Rob, she said she'd take a look and see what she can do for ya.
I'll pm her email.

PM sent and thank you! :tu

Weelok
03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Here is some advice I got from a head hunter agency. I ended up stopping right before the onsite interview due to my wife not wanting to re-locate so check those details first, my two cents.

This advice is for a phone interview but has actionable words you should use for a resume included as words to use during interview. Good luck.

Remember, If the call is going well ask for the onsite interview! A good way to ask is:

"Based on our discussions, I feel very confident that I fit the position
and want to move on to the next step. I would be interested in meeting you.
I'm available on the _ and on the _ would either of those days work well for you?"

Preparing for your telephone interview

What is your objective during the telephone interview?

To be invited to meet in person.

Prior to the telephone Call:
· Be in a quiet room with no distractions.
· Have your resume and a pad of note paper in front of you.
· Know why you're interested in changing jobs.
· Assess your strengths and weaknesses.
· Be prepared to discuss your job responsibilities.
· Be ready to give a 2 minute dissertation to the question, "Tell me about yourself."
(Stick to the professional side of your life. Work through the progression of your positions to give an overview of your experience)

During the Call
· Speak clearly. If you do not understand a question, ask them to clarify.
· Respond concisely; don't ramble.
· Avoid "yes" or "no" answers. Be sociable.
· Do NOT bring up salary or benefits. If the interviewer asks you what compensation you are looking for. Tell them your current compensation plus bonuses and car allowances.
· If you want this job, you must ask for it.
Example: "Based on our discussions, I feel very confident that I fit the position
and want to move on to the next step. I would be interested in meeting you.
Can we schedule that now?"
· Remember this: As you answer questions, avoid the use of negative terms. Answer questions with specific examples and avoid generalities. Take advantage of the opportunity to sell yourself.

Finally, call me either right after the telephone interview or early the next day to let me know how you felt the interview went and how the conversation ended. I need to speak with you before the employer calls me.

Reasons Why Candidates have been rejected:
· Lack of proper career planning; purposes and goals ill defined; needs direction.
· Inability to express thoughts clearly and concisely.
· Inability to discuss achievements. (How you have contributed to your past and current employers profitability/income.)
· Unable to explain interest in this position.
· Little interest or enthusiasm; indifferent, bland personality.
· Overbearing - over aggressive "conceited, cocky sure attitude, not really looking for a job, aloof demeanor.
· Interested only in a higher grade level or more money.
· Asks few or poor questions about the job; little depth and meaning to questions. Does not talk.
· Makes excuses, blames past management, evasive; hedges on unfavorable factors in record.

Key phrases/terms to interject during an interview:
· Competitive - "I had a similar challenge when...."
· Aggressive - "Most everyone else had given up, and yet my team....."
· High energy - enthusiasm sells. "I can make a difference."
· Looking for a long term opportunity. ("Looking for my last job, not my next job.")
· Loyalty
· Willingness to learn
· Hard worker - "I am willing to do what it takes."
· Team player -
· Challenge
· Experience

Things NOT TO DO and topics not to bring up during an interview:
· Salary expectations or desires: Just tell them your current compensation. Do not talk about what you expect or your desires. Giving a number this early in the game, you will be either too high or too low.
· Personal problems (spouse's work schedule, babysitter, car problems, travel distance, not getting along with spouse, in the middle of a divorce, etc.)
· Bad mouthing past employer or past company policy
· Vacations, time off, education reimbursement program, benefits, 401k plans. These questions are premature.
· Other offers (This may make them feel you are not interested.)

Safe Fact Finding Questions
· What would you like to have me accomplish in this position in the first three months? First year?
· What is the biggest single problem facing your company right now?
· Do you have any questions about my qualifications?
· What is YOUR career background?
· What are the long term opportunities associated with this position?

This may be the most important telephone call of your life. Put your best foot forward. Have fun. Be yourself. Thank you for your time, I am proud to represent you.