PDA

View Full Version : Good Cigars That Just Fade Out Of Favor

badbriar
03-19-2015, 01:34 PM
It is amazing to me how many good cigars just seem to fade into the background. It has got to be marketing, hype, glitz and swag that new offerings bring out to unseat the old standards. What brought this on is a blurb I read the other day saying that the LaGloria R Maduro is a slow seller now, although it once was considered a premium in high demand. I do remember not so long ago that this cigar had a pretty high price tag and was a regular staple in the local B & M's. Damn tasty, too! Another cigar that was a big deal a few years back was A Turrent Triple Play, which also carried a hefty price tag. That one is now a deal and is also another really good cigar. Neither of these seem to do a lot of advertising and are paying the price. Fortunately, their prices are coming down, but look like they may eventually be phased out. Are the newcomers that much better, or is it the sizzle? IMHO, some that were supposed to be big deals that surely disappointed are the Herrera Estelli and Jercho Hills. thankfully, the likes of LP, Padron and La Palina rely on good old fashioned flavor (with some glitz) to stay in the forefront!

Porch Dweller
03-19-2015, 02:14 PM
I disagree with you on the Jericho Hills, I think it's a damned tasty stick.

hammondc
03-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Anything Rocky Patel? 8 years ago, those were all the rage. 1990. 1992, Edge.

Remo
03-19-2015, 02:28 PM

Rocky has gone the way of Gurkha..too many damn sticks!

hammondc
03-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Rocky has gone the way of Gurkha..too many damn sticks!

True story.

He's a jerk too. Met him at Tinder Box (?) in Charlotte back when they were all the rage.

Actually those square pressed ones were pretty dang good when they first came out. Then they blends got all crazy and down the crapper they went.

Remo
03-19-2015, 02:48 PM
RP's flavor are at least better than Gurkha, just way too many to keep track of.

joshnauburn
03-29-2015, 01:10 PM
This makes me think of the first time I made an idiot of myself as I began my journey into cigars, when asked by a local shop owner what my favorite cigar was I responded RP (no specific blend..just RP)....now I know why he looked at me that way..lol :sl

Ogre
03-29-2015, 01:50 PM

I agree. The Edge and Olde World Reserve were early favorites of mine.

shilala
03-29-2015, 02:08 PM
I think it's our attention span.
Look at the products in a convenience store or the grocery store. There's gotta be 32 types of one thing or it just isn't right. There's a hundred different kind of Oreos and M&M's, just in case someone gets bored for one second and forgets to spend money.

We won't even sit through a movie unless there are 3 sets of boobs, a couple good explosions, and a few severed heads rolling around within the first 15 minutes.
If you took 99% of classic movies, like The Shining or One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest (off the top of my head), put one on a screen in front of a room full of viewers, the theatre would be empty in half an hour. No time for a plot to build, ya know?

I'm not finger pointing, I'm as bad as the next guy.
The only reason I've ever given it much thought is because all the "choices" stress me out. I don't want it my way. I just want to "eat it or starve" like the old man said.
There's comfort in that. :D

T.G
03-29-2015, 03:04 PM
You totally lost me at "convenience store", Scott.

What were you saying again, now?

AdamJoshua
03-29-2015, 03:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SVDHuRL.gif

pnoon
03-29-2015, 03:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SVDHuRL.gif

A man with three buttocks.

shilala
03-29-2015, 04:04 PM
You totally lost me at "convenience store", Scott.

What were you saying again, now?
I meant convenients store. Damp auto-correct.