PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Humidification Method

kroegbd
02-06-2015, 08:52 AM
I have had a Cigar Tower Mini for about 2 years now. Any advice on humidifying something this size. I have a Hydra LG that I use foam filled with 50/50 solution. This method does ok, but my cigars always seem dry. I attached a picture of the humidor. Any advice would be much appreciated.

icehog3
02-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Humidity beads in that size cabinet for sure. You can get them through Cigarnut (MIchael) here, and find lots of info and testimonials on them throughout the site.

Welcome to the Asylum. :ss

kroegbd
02-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Humidity beads in that size cabinet for sure. You can get them through Cigarnut (MIchael) here, and find lots of info and testimonials on them throughout the site.

Welcome to the Asylum. :ss

Thanks, I'm glad to be here. Would you put the beads in the Hydra and run it like normal? Or place the beads on each shelf and get rid of the Hydra?

markem
02-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Loads of information on this site. Also, many different experiences with same/similar techniques. It is all about what works best for you in your situation.

There is good information in the beads FAQ in the accessories forum, http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14.

I recommend starting there and then ... well, ask a bunch more questions!

jhedrick83
02-06-2015, 10:21 AM
I use CigarNut's HCM beads on each shelf, no active humidifier. 65% solid. Love them. :tu

icehog3
02-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Personally, I'd ditch the Hyrda, but opinions may vary.

Simple1
02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Beads for sure, but I'd also make sure that it is sealed up well. Food grade silicone in the corners and glass edges. Make sure the door seals well and isn't warped. Add a latch or weather stripping as needed.

NCRadioMan
02-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Personally, I'd ditch the Hyrda, but opinions may vary.

Agreed. The Hydra is really overkill for that small of a humidor. Go with beads.

:2

Flynnster
02-07-2015, 06:41 AM
What are you using to keep track of humidity levels? Just wonder since you said it does ok but your cigars seem dry.

But like everyone else said, go with beads.

kroegbd
02-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have a Hygrometer on each shelf, each of them read around 70%. I'm going to try the beads like recommended. I think the major issue is the seal at the door. Any other advice on sealing that? I'm not sure if the gap is big enough for weather strip.

markem
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have a Hygrometer on each shelf, each of them read around 70%. I'm going to try the beads like recommended. I think the major issue is the seal at the door. Any other advice on sealing that? I'm not sure if the gap is big enough for weather strip.

Are the hinges adjustable or fixed?

kroegbd
02-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Are the hinges adjustable or fixed?

They're fixed.

AdamJoshua
02-08-2015, 09:39 AM
I too would suggest sealing the instead around the glass with a food grade, orderless silicone, I would also do the seems were the pieces of wood on the instead and corners.

If they are that dry I would suggest salt testing your hygrometers to see if they are recording the humidity correctly, are they digital or analog? If they are analog I would replace them with a digital one.

The weather stripping doesn't have to go between the door and the frame, you can put it around the inside of the door so it closes normal but has that extra barrier, every little bit helps.

wdwkelly
02-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Man..all that trouble!!! Use a cooler or tupperware and some Heart Felt beads for the coolers or Boveda packs for the tupperware. ZERO worries or issues. Perfect storage!

Stinky
02-23-2015, 11:13 PM
the Hydra LG was not designed to use 50-50 solution. Use only distilled water as directions explain. You may need to replace the element in the Hydra LG because the Polypropylene Glycol is already imbedded in the element. That hydration unit will keep your small cabinet at what ever humidify you set it to.

should you decide to ditch the Hydra LG, please let me know. I will take off your hands! LMK