PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Interior Lighting

Sadden
02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Hello everyone. I am going to be working on my Aristocrat and get it sealed up better. While the sticks are having a vacation in a coolerdoor , I was thinking of adding some interior lighting to the Cabinet.

I have 2 options , I can add one long strip that runs top to bottom on the left hand side , and sits in between the roller blocks and the door seal. It would need to measure right around 42" or so.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/SaddenDude/Cigars/IMG_0399_zpsf4f03177.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/SaddenDude/media/Cigars/IMG_0399_zpsf4f03177.jpg.html)

The other option is one under each roller block. For 6 total measuring 20"ish.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/SaddenDude/Cigars/IMG_0588_zps6eedc446.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/SaddenDude/media/Cigars/IMG_0588_zps6eedc446.jpg.html)

By roller block I am referring to the wood that connects the rollers for the sliding shelves/drawer to the side panels.

The 6 lights is more appealing to me , there would be more overall light and it would be recessed into the cabinet , illuminating things in the back better.

I want to have all of this door switched obviously.

Can anyone recommend a decent company to be looking at. I am looking for some high quality components. Not some fleabay crap.

I am doing some google fu as you read , but nothing is catching my eye (yet)

Ogre
02-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Run LED light strips on both sides

Sadden
02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Run LED light strips on both sides

Hinges are in the way on the right side. Its what I originally wanted to do.

irratebass
02-02-2015, 07:09 AM
I'm curious what you come up with, I would also like to put lighting in my cabinet....keep us informed please

T.G
02-02-2015, 07:47 PM
I saw these on display at my local ACE hardware earlier today:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=52847386

Manufacturer website is here, but not very descriptive nor do they seem to have all the products listed:
http://continu.us/underglow/

What it appears to be is a very thin and narrow tape strip on which super-bright flat LEDs are spaced every few inches. You can cut to desired length, peel the backing and stick in place. There are multitude of angled and 4-way connectors that can be used to tie the strips together. The basic kit includes a power adapter and a remote control for turning on and off, dimming and I suppose controlling the color blend if you buy the RGB kit. Appears that it was intended for under cabinet use or in display cases etc.

They did not have any set up and running so I can't really comment much more than that.

HB Toaster
02-03-2015, 05:19 PM
I am checking out the lighting at my local ACE hardware in Huntington Beach. They may or may not have a display. I like the idea though, seems very simple to install and while my humidor is not very tall, it is deep (Montegue) and hard to see in the back. This would look cool and also should provide some lighting I would think.

Thanks for the info.

shilala
02-04-2015, 09:52 AM
The tape led's are the way to go. There's a huge selection on Amazon.
You can cut it to length and do whatever you want. There are little adapters that go on when you cut it. Small learning curve.
There's good stuff and junk. You want the stuff with 3M automobile sticky on the back, 120 led's per meter, and 5050 led's. The waterproof (IP67) is much thicker and more durable but harder to work with.
It's super cheap and it'll light up the whole world. :tu

jhedrick83
02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
For a while I had some LED tape that is very similar to what Adam described. You could select a color and brightness with the remote. It was pretty neat. I got mine at Home Depot.

HB Toaster
02-04-2015, 05:03 PM
I need to learn more and I am starting to study this, thanks for the info from everyone to date. Simple question, is there any concern about the heat from the small transformer that converts to low voltage? I had planned on plugging it inside my humidor in the back where I have an extra outlet. Just wondering...

irratebass
02-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Please keep this thread going, I want to see pics and learn how you (if you do) do it.

shilala
02-05-2015, 10:42 AM
I'd absolutely put the transformer outside. It'd only require an 1/8" hole to pull the wires in and that's super easy to seal.
No need to put it in the humidor and create heat where you don't want heat.

HB Toaster
02-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info. Makes sense... That's why I raised the issue, I didn't want to be adding any extra heat and drying out my cigars. On your recommendation and studying the internet and speaking with a few techs, I went ahead and purchased a full kit online.
5050 LED's, 16.4' of tape, controller, transformer (that's what I am calling it) etc. I'll let you know what I have when it arrives. About $40.00 complete with shipping. Seems cheap but there is quite a bit of competition in this business.

irratebass
02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info. Makes sense... That's why I raised the issue, I didn't want to be adding any extra heat and drying out my cigars. On your recommendation and studying the internet and speaking with a few techs, I went ahead and purchased a full kit online.
5050 LED's, 16.4' of tape, controller, transformer (that's what I am calling it) etc. I'll let you know what I have when it arrives. About $40.00 complete with shipping. Seems cheap but there is quite a bit of competition in this business.

Cool, don't forget the pics please :D

HB Toaster
02-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Update for my little project... my lighting supplies are coming in by the end of the week. I am going to try and plan everything and get started this weekend. I don't think I will be finished this weekend though. Since I am still a real newbie to this site I am having trouble uploading pictures. They all are loading sideways. It's not a problem that I am familiar with. Is there somewhere in the site I should look for the best way to upload pics here? Appreciate the help.

irratebass
02-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Update for my little project... my lighting supplies are coming in by the end of the week. I am going to try and plan everything and get started this weekend. I don't think I will be finished this weekend though. Since I am still a real newbie to this site I am having trouble uploading pictures. They all are loading sideways. It's not a problem that I am familiar with. Is there somewhere in the site I should look for the best way to upload pics here? Appreciate the help.

Most of us use photobucket I believe, that seems to be the best wat to upload pics I have found.

Set up a pb account (it's free) then when you're ready to post pics click the icon above that kinda looks like a mountain (it's inbetween the email looking thing and the quote icon) then just copy and paste your direct link from PB and done......hope this helps.

Can't wait to see pics :tu

HB Toaster
02-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't have any problems uploading the pictures, just had a problem that they were sideways. I will figure that out, or ask more questions. I received my LED's, controller, etc. My plan is to put two rows of lights under all my shelves. That seems like it will be relatively easy. I'm not sure about the drawer though on the top. I think I am going to put one row of lights under the top of the drawer (which would be under the very top of the unit.) Because I have not worked with the LED's before I am not sure if I am going to use butt connectors or solder them.
Once I get into it I will see which is easier and how much strength each provides. It's been fun so far. Learned a lot about LED's. Lot's of uses and lots of suppliers. The real test will be as it is assembled.

shilala
02-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Walt, if your pics get uploaded sideways, you can turn them in photobucket.
Happens to me sometimes because I shut off the screen spin on my iphone.

I'd use the connectors, but only because you can make quick and easy wire length adjustments. It'll make your wire management nice and pretty and a whole lot easier on you.

HB Toaster
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Scott, thanks for the information and advice. I didn't even know there was a screen spin setting on my Iphone. That is probably what is occurring. Photobucket sounds like the way to go. I haven't done much soldering so I agree that the connectors will be easier. Looking at them, they don't appear to be all that strong, but there isn't a lot of stress either...

irratebass
02-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Any updates Colin or Walt?

shilala
02-19-2015, 10:11 AM
I didn't order my stuff for my scoot yet, Mickey.
I'm still probably gonna beat these guys. :D

HB Toaster
02-19-2015, 05:03 PM
[I'm still probably gonna beat these guys]I like confidence Scott. But... This weekend I designed my layout and made practice connections with my strips and wire. My wife, who doesn't really understand (or maybe care) about my fancy lighting, did take notice when I started flashing different colors and speeds. Now I just need to finish. Looking forward to this weekend. Pictures are coming. I will show the different materials I used also. Wire management seems to be the biggest challenge as I am trying to conceal as much wire as I can.

irratebass
02-20-2015, 07:14 AM
[I'm still probably gonna beat these guys]I like confidence Scott. But... This weekend I designed my layout and made practice connections with my strips and wire. My wife, who doesn't really understand (or maybe care) about my fancy lighting, did take notice when I started flashing different colors and speeds. Now I just need to finish. Looking forward to this weekend. Pictures are coming. I will show the different materials I used also. Wire management seems to be the biggest challenge as I am trying to conceal as much wire as I can.

:tu cool!!!! Take shot by shot pics, be very thorough please :)

HB Toaster
03-02-2015, 11:27 AM
15542 This is a taste of my lighting project in my Montegue
15543 humidor. I will add more detail to this when I can.
15544 Busy at work today, but just wanted to give an idea.
15545 -(P

shilala
03-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Bad. Ass.
Well done, Walt!!! :tu

irratebass
03-03-2015, 06:58 AM
That looks great Walt!!!! That is totally what I want to do.....i'm just too stupid to do it.

HB Toaster
03-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks Scott and Mickey. I had never done much low voltage lighting before but it is not that hard to do once you understand the basics. You need LED lighting (about 16' for my humidor) a controller, transformer, RGB wire (About 10 Meters) and some connector strips to transfer from the LED strips to the wire. The most important thing I learned though is to buy good wire strippers. The ones that are made by Irwin (Vice Grips) are in my opinion the best. Crimping connectors takes a little practice but is relatively easy once you get it. A stapler is helpful also to tack the wire and strips where you want it to go. I used a wide staple to make sure I didn't pierce the strips or wire. I used two LED strips under each shelf but probably one would have worked also.

Everything you need can be purchased from Amazon or equal, online. My total cost was about $60.

Mickey send me your email address in a private message and I will forward more detailed info.

Laying everything out probably took an hour. Putting it together took about 4 hours. It is fun to try the different colors and light patterns, or just to be able to see all your cigars at night. One thing that the bright light showed me was that I do have some air leaks around my door hinges. Another project...

Sadden
03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Haha , no progress here. Had a tooth out last week , with some minor complications. And getting married in april so most of my time/energy/money has been going in that direction. Also been so crazy with work I have barely had time to breath.

I will get around to it sometime though!

irratebass
03-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks Scott and Mickey. I had never done much low voltage lighting before but it is not that hard to do once you understand the basics. You need LED lighting (about 16' for my humidor) a controller, transformer, RGB wire (About 10 Meters) and some connector strips to transfer from the LED strips to the wire. The most important thing I learned though is to buy good wire strippers. The ones that are made by Irwin (Vice Grips) are in my opinion the best. Crimping connectors takes a little practice but is relatively easy once you get it. A stapler is helpful also to tack the wire and strips where you want it to go. I used a wide staple to make sure I didn't pierce the strips or wire. I used two LED strips under each shelf but probably one would have worked also.

Everything you need can be purchased from Amazon or equal, online. My total cost was about $60.

Mickey send me your email address in a private message and I will forward more detailed info.

Laying everything out probably took an hour. Putting it together took about 4 hours. It is fun to try the different colors and light patterns, or just to be able to see all your cigars at night. One thing that the bright light showed me was that I do have some air leaks around my door hinges. Another project...

Thanks for the offer.......pm sent

Haha , no progress here. Had a tooth out last week , with some minor complications. And getting married in april so most of my time/energy/money has been going in that direction. Also been so crazy with work I have barely had time to breath.

I will get around to it sometime though!

Sadden....congrats bro.....yeah, you're going through a lot right now....no worries.