PDA

View Full Version : Parties and smoking cigars

boonedoggle
12-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Do you smoke if you are the only one smoking cigars at a party? Have a party to go tonight, and I don't think I'm going to bring any smoke...maybe just in case. It's not like a herf, and even though everyone know's I love cigars, it's just a hassle I guess. I'd rather not even light up if I'm going to get cranky! :rolleyes:

icehog3
12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it in a private residence, or a business that allows smoking?

If it were the latter, and people were going to be smoking cigarettes, then I would bring along some 'gars and test the waters to see if I thought it would be kosher.

Footbag
12-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Every time I don't bring my cigars with me, I end up finding other smokers and wishing I had them. Worst case scenario, you can put them back in your humidor when you get home.

boonedoggle
12-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Is it in a private residence, or a business that allows smoking?

If it were the latter, and people were going to be smoking cigarettes, then I would bring along some 'gars and test the waters to see if I thought it would be kosher.

Private house. It's my wife's friends Christmas party, so we get all dressed up and what not, as it's a pretty big deal. I think I'll bring some smaller vitola. Yeah, might spark a conversation...you never know. I hope I'm not slurring by then.:r

Yazzie
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
In my experience when at a gathering or event ewhere there are couples, and I'm going to be around friends and mention the word cigars, all the guys are totally for it. So we light up (outside of course) and then it's usually their wives/girlfriends who start coming over and making comments like....Are you still smoking that?......Then I end up getting nasty looks from their gals the rest of the night and other comments about how they have to deal with their stinky husband the rest of the night.....

Cigarcop
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Every time I don't bring my cigars with me, I end up finding other smokers and wishing I had them. Worst case scenario, you can put them back in your humidor when you get home.

I'd have to agree with this!!

boonedoggle
12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
In my experience when at a gathering or event ewhere there are couples, and I'm going to be around friends and mention the word cigars, all the guys are totally for it. So we light up (outside of course) and then it's usually their wives/girlfriends who start coming over and making comments like....Are you still smoking that?......Then I end up getting nasty looks from their gals the rest of the night and other comments about how they have to deal with their stinky husband the rest of the night.....

yeah yeah...it always comes back to the ladies referring them as "those smelly cigars":tg

Ratters

+1. Never hurts to be prepared. :ss

SteveA
I usually bring some but rarely smoke in that situation. I always end up feeling like an animal in the zoo with everybody watching me as if puffing on a cigar is one of the most bizarre acts a man can perform.

jbonnefsc
12-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Always better to have a cigar with you to smoke than have a chance to smoke and no cigar.

Darrell
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Just don't fire it up in their living room and you will be fine Jimbo. You know as soon as your belly gets full of food and booze, you're going to want a stick.

shilala
12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
If it's gonna be a smoker-friendly gig, I always stuff my travel humi full.
It's like an instant herf in a box. I drag it out and pass it around. Guys who don't know what they might like always ask and I make a suggestion.
I'm getting pretty good at having a nice well-rounded selection in there. :)

lightning9191
12-24-2008, 03:55 PM

:tpd: This always seems to happen to me too!

doctorcue
12-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Couple things to keep in mind:

1) Always travel with sticks; they don't go bad.
2) Could be an opportunity to meet some new friends
3) There usually is a hotter-chic who smokes; so why have her out in the cold alone? ;)

Have a good time!

*Doctorcue takes no responsibility for couple argument over you standing outside all night with "that tramp who smokes". :tu

Mugen910
12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
los statos....

If I am going to a party and there "might" be smoking I will bring smaller CCs. If i know for sure I am smoking I bring out the big guns and the Los Statos are to be passed around for the "oh I want a cigar too" people. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Squid
12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd say to you to pack up some gars and head to the party. As you mingle and socialize, you'll get the gist as to whether any others may be smokers...when you see them heading outside to the patios, etc.

Always pack up a few extras....I have inevitably found that when I light up a stick outside, it becomes a conversation piece. Many have fond memories of fathers or grandfathers, when they catch the smell of a great cigar. At that time...make the offer of a stick to those that truly seem interested. No doubt, before you know it, you'll be trading stories. At that time, you can also share with them info on CA...and let them know there is a world of others that enjoy them, as well.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and enjoy the party!

nozero
12-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Lots of good suggestions here already. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

alley00p
12-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I always pack my 15 stick travel caddy, and I always have a tin of shorter sticks if people are going outside to smoke. I'd rather smoke a short cigar that not smoke at all, and if there are people that are interested, I break out the regular stash.

As some of the others already said, you can always put them back in the humi after the party! :D

:dance::dance::dance:

TripleF
12-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I hope you are enjoying the party and smoking a cigar as I type this...

If I would have replied in time my recommendation would have been -
Never let others determine who you are!!

boonedoggle
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Ended up not even firing one up, thank goodness. We were there for just over an hour. Was too stuffy for me. We really didn't know anyone anyways.

hotreds
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
BUT- to answer your question- no, I likely would not light up if I were the only one doing so. However, I WOULD bring my humi and maybe join someone for a stick. And I guess it would also depend on how formal the party is. A big outdoor BBQ might have me lighting up(with permission) away from the crowd- even if I did so alone. Many variables- but be a Boy Scout- "always be prepared!"

karmaz00
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
probley a good thing

Ahbroody
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Started bringing cigars to family functions a while back. I now have aa group of male family members who not only smoke them if i bring them but seem pissed if I dont bring enough.

Some of the female inlaws want to kill me more now then they did before. Wish I cared

livwire68
01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I either ask ahead of time (out side is usually fine) or just bring in case. Dont care what the other women think, I dont go home with them and my Wife supports me. Most of the time it sparks conversation amongst the other men, so bring along some hand outs. Its a thing called acceptance of me and who I am. At least Im not smoking a cancer stick. If its my Wifes friend then they already know, if we dont go then my Wife already knows (drunk hubby support)

Squid
01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Wish I cared

:r:r:r:r Excellent!

thebiglebowski
01-04-2009, 09:38 AM
i'm curious - i don't think i saw this mentioned, but what made you think that cigars would even be allowed? pretty rare occurence these days, i think.

acruce
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Always better to have a cigar with you to smoke than have a chance to smoke and no cigar.

I would have to agree..;)

Whee
01-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Had this happen at Thanksgiving. Went with my brother with his girlfriend to her family's Thanksgiving dinner. Packed the cigar caddy full just in case. Brother and I went out for a smoke, but no one wanted to join. You never know.

RevSmoke
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess the question is, as this is a party at someone's house, "Can you smoke in the house, or is this an indoor/outdoor party?"

If smoking is acceptable at the home, or if it will be partly outdoors, bring a few stick along. If you get there and find out you could have, you'll kick yourself in the posterior later.