PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Bands? Any Suggestions?

Mr.Maduro
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a fitness tracker. Any suggestions? Recommendations?

After reading some reviews, I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vivosmart.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

E.J.
01-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I've been looking as well & think I've settled on the Jawbone UP24. I'm a big CNET fan and it's their recommended band.

Remo
01-04-2015, 08:44 PM
So many to choose from, a lot of the guys at work have the Fitbit and Garmin, I would get one if i wasn't already a Greek god!! :r

swingerofbirches
01-04-2015, 09:34 PM
I've been curious about a FitBit but haven't really done a lot of research. I use the MyFitnessPal app to track my cardio, lifting and food/intake.

CigarNut
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I have had the Fitbit One for almost two years and I really like it. I use the Fitbit app an am OK with that. My friend (who also has a Fitbit) uses the MyFitnessPal app.

More and more of these devices becoming available all the time. The one thing I like about Fitbit is that they have more time and effort in their software so it seems like the Fitbit is more accurate than, say my iPhone 6+ (which can also track steps and other activities).

sikk50
01-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I have a Fitbit. I've kind of fallen out of using it as I forget to charger it from time to time. I like that I can look at the app on my phone to see exactly where I'm at. The app is nice to track your water and caloric intake as well.

Victor808
01-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I've been watching the activity trackers for a bit now as well, waiting to pull the trigger on one. There are a couple coming out in this quarter with heartrate monitoring added in, so that's what I've been waiting for.

Basis already has heartrate monitoring... has gotten good reviews on that. I think they have a next gen coming soon.

Fitbit has announced their HR version and given prices and expected release date (I think jan)....

Jawbone is supposed to come out with a HR version soon. There was an announcement, but I don't recall the date.

There are a lot of smaller companies (some were kickstarters) that are releasing this year... Mio is one... I'm not sure I'd go with the smaller companies as they wouldn't have the experience in the software.

jledou
01-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I picked up the Vivofit for myself and my wife this Christmas something to keep us both accountable. It links into myfitnesspal but haven't gone that far yet.

So far I am going to say it is OK and I really need to get more into it to use it, but overall the closer on the vivofit was the watch part so it replaced my watch I was wearing. 1+ year battery also sold me on the vivofit.

Downside so far is that I had problems connecting them into our phones but no problems with connecting into a computer.

AdamJoshua
01-05-2015, 12:18 PM
I was looking at a few different ones, I think I will give it some time and see how the Apple Watch turns out, since it will do all of the fitness times as well as tightly integrated into the Health app which is what I am currently using to track progress.

czerbe
01-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I have been thinking about one of these.... they seem kind of gimmicky I hit the gym about 4 times a week and try and watch my diet, but it couldn't hurt right?

Victor808
01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
I think the most interesting thing about them is the monitoring of your downtime. Some have features to remind you to get up and move about if you've been sitting too long...

I'm particularly interested in sleep monitoring, because that's something I know I'm failing at. But someone who doesn't exercise regularly may also get a lot of benefit from knowing how much energy they burn through non-exercise activities.

nutcracker
01-05-2015, 03:51 PM
I have a fitbit. Actually works quite well. Unfortunately once you figure out how far you walk in a regular day interest wanes. Probably best couple with a formal program.

Victor808
01-09-2015, 10:33 AM
So the jawbone UP3 is supposed to be shipped soon. I'm seriously considering this one, doesn't look too conspicuous but has heart rate functionality.

Mr.Maduro
01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
So the jawbone UP3 is supposed to be shipped soon. I'm seriously considering this one, doesn't look too conspicuous but has heart rate functionality.

Website says 10-12 weeks. I don't know if I want to wait that long, but it does look pretty cool.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
I have a jawbone and love it. Add me to your team if you want

Victor808
01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Website says 10-12 weeks. I don't know if I want to wait that long, but it does look pretty cool.

I'm thinking I'll wait for it, at least to see what reviews say. It looks worth the wait.

Mr.Maduro
01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
I think I might go with a refurbished Jawbone UP2 off eBay (around $40) to play around with and make sure its just not a passing fad on my part. If I really like it and find its working (getting me in shape) I will probably upgrade to the UP3 when it finally does come out.

Thanks for the feedback.

IBQTEE1
01-15-2015, 10:13 AM
I am rocking the FitBit Flex. I love it and I forget that I am wearing it. I am a little addicted to looking at the app. It is interesting when it comes to my sleeping. I am restless around the same time every night.

weems
01-15-2015, 11:03 AM
I have a Jawbone UP24. I loved it when I actually used it. I'll trade it for some smokes if it interests you haha!

AdamJoshua
01-15-2015, 11:04 AM
I have a Jawbone UP24. I loved it when I actually used it. I'll trade it for some smokes if it interests you haha!

:r :r :r

BigAsh
01-16-2015, 12:42 PM
try this site...lets you try them out , all different brands/models....
https://lumoid.com/wear

VirtualSmitty
01-19-2015, 06:43 AM
I have a fitbit flex, works as advertised.