PDA

View Full Version : Advice from pipe aficionados please....

nutcracker
01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
OK - so here's the scoop. We are planning an "old smoke" event, showcasing the effect of ageing on scotch and tobacco. I hope to serve up Laphroiag 10yr old vs a 25 year old. That's the easy part.

See exhibit 1 below: a circa 1985 MacBaren dark twist and and 2014 version. Both sealed.

I have no idea of the condition of the tobacco inside. I would love to open it at the event, but what if it's too moist or spoiled?

Should I open these tines and roll a quantity out so that it's ready for Friday, or leave them shut to share the experience of opening with others....

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag202/neil_berrington/imagejpg1_zps6dc5076c.jpg (http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/neil_berrington/media/imagejpg1_zps6dc5076c.jpg.html)

The.Sheepdog
01-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I had a tin of Squadron leader that wsa put away in a cool dry place and I forgot it for over 7 years. When found this year and opened it I found it to be mostly the same as new except it was very dry. It never did smoke well for me and was dry and hot. It would not accept moisture rehydrating very well. Maybe if it had spent the years in a humidor at 70% I dont know.

SQ Ldr is stout tobacco and this stuff smelled like cardboard. Such a shame.

stevieray
01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Seeing as you are building the event around these 2 tins, I would at least open up the aged tin prior to the event to be safe. Otherwise, have a back up plan in place. :2

badbriar
01-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Seeing as you are building the event around these 2 tins, I would at least open up the aged tin prior to the event to be safe. Otherwise, have a back up plan in place. :2

What Steve said. The tobacco inside should be fine. If it's a little dry, can easily rehydrate. Same if it's still too moist. Most old tins I've opened were still too moist. HAVE FUN! Let us know what you find!
RR

badbriar
01-04-2015, 04:42 PM
I had a tin of Squadron leader that wsa put away in a cool dry place and I forgot it for over 7 years. When found this year and opened it I found it to be mostly the same as new except it was very dry. It never did smoke well for me and was dry and hot. It would not accept moisture rehydrating very well. Maybe if it had spent the years in a humidor at 70% I dont know.

SQ Ldr is stout tobacco and this stuff smelled like cardboard. Such a shame.

Bill... If you still have that tin, I'll trade you something for it! :tu

The.Sheepdog
01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry Rob. I would have sent it to you for nothing. My wife said it stank (I smelled nothing) and tossed it. I left it open while I was thinking what to do with it. I didnt know it was gone until after the garbage was picked up. I told her to never do that again! (and stay out of my man cave) I only allow two women in my man cave. My little dog Daisy, and the housekeeper Cristi. The wife is no longer on the list!

badbriar
01-04-2015, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE= I told her to never do that again! (and stay out of my man cave) I only allow two women in my man cave. My little dog Daisy, and the housekeeper Cristi. The wife is no longer on the list![/QUOTE]

:lr :lr :lr

nutcracker
01-04-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm sorry Rob. I would have sent it to you for nothing. My wife said it stank (I smelled nothing) and tossed it. I left it open while I was thinking what to do with it. I didnt know it was gone until after the garbage was picked up. I told her to never do that again! (and stay out of my man cave) I only allow two women in my man cave. My little dog Daisy, and the housekeeper Cristi. The wife is no longer on the list!

That's too much - brilliant man!:banger

Col. Kurtz
01-04-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm not an aficionado, but I'd probably pop both open at the event if for nothing more than presentation. If they're too moist, you can sample half of each and try again at the next event.

ApexAZ
01-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Sounds awesome! Have fun!