PDA

View Full Version : Bought first Pipe today!

ksknnr
12-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Well, I have been lurking in this forum for a while, and decided to pull the trigger today and a few starter kits from CI. Should be here in a few days along with a few different tobacco's, can't wait to jump in.

The.Sheepdog
12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
cant wait to see it! What tobacco are you planning?

ksknnr
12-16-2014, 02:17 PM
I bought the Dr. Grabow Starter Kit and Brylon Starter kits, both have 3 different ones in the kits, going be a coin toss for the first one.

nutcracker
12-16-2014, 03:00 PM
I bought the Dr. Grabow Starter Kit and Brylon Starter kits, both have 3 different ones in the kits, going be a coin toss for the first one.

That's like a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the sea.....

A good start!

hotreds
12-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Best wishes on your wonderful journey! And remember:

http://smokingpipetobacco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/piping-and-pipe-smoking.jpg

ksknnr
12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Well it looks like I am going to have to wait a little longer to start up. Got an e-mail from CI today, both starter kits I ordered and were confirmed in stock, are both on Back Order now. Oh well, a few more weeks won't kill me I guess.

ApexAZ
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Well, congrats on your new pipe order! And sorry to hear you have to wait a little longer. Perhaps you could grab a cob from walgreens if you want to dabble while you wait?

The.Sheepdog
12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Does walgreens even carry tobacco products anymore?

ApexAZ
12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I think so. CVS does not though.

WaRevo
12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Rite Aide in my Area still does. Sad that the price for some of the tobacco they carry is sooooooo Crazy in price lol. 76 for 14oz of Captain Black Gold makes me wonder if they really want to sale the tobacco. It won't stay fresh forever... Some of the Bag Tobaccos they have i my area are about the right price maybe a couple of dollars more then online retailers but I can get it now... The Cob prices are a dollar or 2 more but again if I want a cob don't want to wait or get more stuff for free shipping RA is just fine. Now the last question! do I really need anymore pipes...... Keep telling my wife I do lol...

James

The.Sheepdog
12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
After Christmas I think I will need a new pipe or two. I might even get a bag of those cheap corn cobs 10 or so. You can never have too many pipes you know!

MarkinAZ
12-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Well, I have been lurking in this forum for a while, and decided to pull the trigger today and a few starter kits from CI. Should be here in a few days along with a few different tobacco's, can't wait to jump in.

Congratulations Kevin. When P&C does their re-stock and you receive it, you can always post your sampler here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10932

Well, congrats on your new pipe order! And sorry to hear you have to wait a little longer. Perhaps you could grab a cob from walgreens if you want to dabble while you wait?

Great suggestion Brian! Walgreen's does indeed carry corn cobs. They are the Missouri Meerschaum Legends in straight and bent stems, along with some various tobacco blends (OTC stuff). Each Walgreens is different in the amount of cobs they carry, but Kevin should check that out while he waits:2

ksknnr
12-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks to a great guy on this thread, I will not have to wait as long as I thought. I will post some pictures soon!

badbriar
12-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks to a great guy on this thread, I will not have to wait as long as I thought. I will post some pictures soon!

You're killing us with anticipation! Did ya get bombed???

:np

ksknnr
12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
not yet, but I did get notice my B/O items should be shipping any day. Will post pics ASAP

WhiteMamba
12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
You're killing us with anticipation! Did ya get bombed???

:np

What he said!

nutcracker
12-22-2014, 01:08 PM
:po

The.Sheepdog
12-22-2014, 01:34 PM

:ss

ksknnr
12-22-2014, 03:53 PM
well that wasn't very fair, hit twice in one day. Wow, you guys are alright, Nel(nutcracker) and Michael (whitemamba)
Got home today to these great finds. Pipes are due to be here wednesday, but I am heading to Walgreens now for a cob!

Thank you very much guys, very generous. But be careful now I have your addresses for payback:banger

Both great gifts, thank you very much!

WhiteMamba
12-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Smoke them in good health brother :tu

nutcracker
12-22-2014, 05:23 PM
well that wasn't very fair, hit twice in one day. Wow, you guys are alright, Nel(nutcracker) and Michael (whitemamba)
Got home today to these great finds. Pipes are due to be here wednesday, but I am heading to Walgreens now for a cob!

Thank you very much guys, very generous. But be careful now I have your addresses for payback:banger

Both great gifts, thank you very much!

Wasn't me your honour.
Mine is different.....
Those baggies are from someone else.....

nutcracker
12-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Smoke them in good health brother :tu

So you to slip in a Gurkha, didn't you?

:r

badbriar
12-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Nice hit on a good guy from two of the most infamous inmates around! Reminds me of the days of the Munky smack downs ! :r :r :r

Col. Kurtz
12-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Wasn't me your honour.
Mine is different.....

Let it go. Let it go. :D

WhiteMamba
12-22-2014, 05:58 PM
So you to slip in a Gurkha, didn't you?

:r

Haha I put in that Gurkha with you in mind. :tu

badbriar
12-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Haha I put in that Gurkha with you in mind. :tu

You did NOT! Gurkha...
:pu

ksknnr
12-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Well it has gotten to the point I am almost afraid to go to the mailbox. Received two more packages today,
First from ApexAZ (Brian), A bunch of assorted tobbaco's to try, thank you sir, very generous, and will be trying at least one of them tonight.

The second, and my second from Neil (nutcracker) Way above and beyond Neil! More tobacco's and a beatiful peterson pipe. In all honesty I have been looking all week for a nice pipe to buy, I bought two sampler's from CI, but wanted a nicer pipe Also. And the one Neil sent is exactly the Style I had my eye on from, shape and even manufacturer, well done reading my mind Neil!

Not to be long winded, But I spoke with Neil via PM on this site last week, and he explained to me how a pipe is personal, now I know exactly what he means, Thank you Neil, I will always remember where I got my first pipe, and your generosity. And now I know why Michael (whitemamba) sigantures say's he is afraid of neil:)

Thank's to all of you who bombed me, and I wish you and all of your familie's safe and happy holiday's!

WhiteMamba
12-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Neil is a great BOTL but he cannot be trusted :tu enjoy your new pipe and tobaccos. Blessings on your Christmas.

The.Sheepdog
12-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Kevin that's great. I am so glad for you! I have not been here long but already I can see these folks are a great bunch.

Merry Christmas all! Let's all raise a bowl to the BOTL!

longknocker
12-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Great Hits, Guys!:D:banger:sl:tu

badbriar
12-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Awesome! A great BOTL hit another one! You will like the Pete! Enjoy on Christmas! :tu

ApexAZ
12-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

nutcracker
12-24-2014, 07:55 PM
You said grandpa was Irish after that it's a no brainier - had to be a Peterson Christmas!
Enjoy - glad it landed in time and the fellow conspirators came through.

Good job boys!

Happy Christmas all....

nutcracker
12-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Wasn't me your honour.
Mine is different.....

There's a secret bomber out there....
Mmmmm,...

WaRevo
12-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Congrats on the Nice package. Looks like 2015 I will need to buy a Petersen.

ksknnr
12-28-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm starting to take on water over here, hit again yesterday.
No message in the package, and could not find the name on the return address in the inmate list, but you know who you are, thank you very much.
Received a great beautiful pipe, and a can of Sutliff Private Stock #5
Very Very generous, and when I find out who it was, you will be added to my list of return fire:tu
I have been on this site for a few years now, and I am still blown away by the generosity of all of you guys! Thank you again!

MarkinAZ
12-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Very nice wackings everybody:tu

I'm starting to take on water over here, hit again yesterday. Received a great beautiful pipe, and a can of Sutliff Private Stock #5...

Great looking pipe and that #5 is a nice smoking blend too:pi

WhiteMamba
12-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Job well done by everyone :sl :cl

nutcracker
12-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Snap! What a hit.

ksknnr
12-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I was just browsing the forums, and noticed the First pipe in badbriars WTS pipe thread looks awfully familiar:D, nice job Rob and thank you, but you could not hide for long!

badbriar
12-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I was just browsing the forums, and noticed the First pipe in badbriars WTS pipe thread looks awfully familiar:D, nice job Rob and thank you, but you could not hide for long!

:fu

blugill
01-05-2015, 06:13 AM
Bought my first pipe Saturday.
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!

Subvet642
01-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!

Come on Andy, pictures! What'd you get?

blugill
01-05-2015, 06:39 AM
I got a Dr Grabow Briar. Nothing fancy at all.
Just a regular looking pipe to learn with.

Subvet642
01-05-2015, 06:52 AM
I got a Dr Grabow Briar. Nothing fancy at all.
Just a regular looking pipe to learn with.

I read someplace (probably here) that it's especially important to buy and learn on pipes you really like because you'll enjoy, and smoke them more and therefore get more practice. Also, I've learned that moisture in tobacco causes tongue burn, so once I learned to dry it out a bit, everything changed. I'm still a wicked noob but I've found the folks here can answer anything; it's accelerated the learning curve for me.

The.Sheepdog
01-05-2015, 07:49 AM

It is a different animal indeed. I never smoke cigarettes. But cigars since I was 17 in the Air Force in the RVN war. Nothing like building 500lb bombs with a stogie burning! Fast forward a few decades and I still dont care for ciggs.

But pipes I have had since 21. (off and on) They demand that you relax. A cigar you can clench and work hard or play hard. A pipe requires you to slow down and pace yourself and enjoy the tobacco and the smoke and the pipe.

Reflect on the pretty pipe you bought. Thats the best reason to buy a $100 pipe as any I have heard. (spend more if you have it)

Aromatics seem better at building a cake in the bowl I am finding. Get several if you like it as you need to rotate some so the pipes can dry out between smokes. I have 10 and thats not enough for me.

Only a very few are nice pipes. Some are Dr Grabow ('big pipe' is a good one) and some are hand mades. (Boswell pipes) One Savinelli Alligator, one B-C (Butz-Choquin) calabash, one 1950's pipe and cobs. See I dont have near enough!

You dont either! I chew my pipes too much so I put rubber bits on the end of the stem. Some hate that.

Get a nice drink or something cold, sit in a comfy place, use a soft flame and carry a couple of pipe cleaners with you, and slowly enjoy a whole different world. A very nice world at that!

badbriar
01-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Way to go! You will find that there is a whole world of tastes and flavors out there in pipe tobaccos. IMHO, the variety is wider than I find in cigars - this is just my :2 ! A couple of things to note; Aromatics rarely taste like they smell. Better quality pipe tobacco is truly worth the investment - usually much better flavors. Review youtube videos several times on packing, lighting, etc. Take care in your lighting - don't char the bowl rim!!! DON'T USE A TORCH LIGHTER! Read up on tongue bite and the potential causes.
Get three pipes for your rotation and clean them regularly. Get a cheap 151 rum for cleaning - will definitely sanitize, leaves the bowl slightly sweet and removes mild to moderate ghosting. Check out Smokingpipes.com, Tobaccoratings.com and other good sites for good prices and pipe tobacco reviews. Have fun! :banger

blugill
01-05-2015, 09:43 AM
I see my pipe smoking brethren are just as friendly and willing to advise as my cigar smoking brethern!
That's great to know! Another reason to love the Asylum!

Subvet642
01-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I see my pipe smoking brethren are just as friendly and willing to advise as my cigar smoking brethern!

The slope is just as slippery on this side. Don't forget accessories! :r

nutcracker
01-05-2015, 10:21 AM
.... And you never have too many pipes - especially after the PAD infection strikes.
(Pipe acquisition disorder)

I give you month ....

Tops.

The.Sheepdog
01-05-2015, 10:24 AM
.... And you never have too many pipes - especially after the PAD infection strikes.
(Pipe acquisition disorder)

I give you month ....

Tops.

OOH it has a name! I'm legit!

ksknnr
01-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Andy, you have no idea, I started this thread, and have been getting hit ever since:) Great, great bunch of guys.

The.Sheepdog
01-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Kevin, You can start a thread for me anytime you want! You got the touch!

:r :r :r