PDA

View Full Version : I went trap shooting for the first time...

hoax
12-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I seriously can not believe I waited this long to go trap shooting. Two friends and I whom had also never been trap shooting all decided to hit the range and give it a try. I brought my Mossberg pump with a 20 inch barrel that we all shared. Probably not the most ideal firearm but it worked well enough for us. We all absolutely loved it and we are going back next month with a whole lot more ammo and clays.

Anyone else trap shoot? Any suggestions for someone new to the sport?

Ace$nyper
12-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Trap is a great sport.

I've not been in a year or so.

Yea a 20 inch barrel is rather short to trap, but not impossible at all. I can't really say much as far as advice other then have fun. :)

kdog
12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Man,
You gotta try sporting clays. It's different than trap shos. It's like golf. You go to maybe 10 to 12 different stands in the woods and each shot is a different presentation. Ride in a golf cart and shoot 100 rounds per game. Here in South Carolina it's pretty big. Check out www.harrissprings.com, thats where we go. totally cigar friendly and less expensive than golf. I use a 12 gauge Beretta Urika, or a Benelli over under. Blow stuff up and Smoke good Sticks. Have fun

FullBodied
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Trap is fun, Sporting Clays is more fun. If you want to shoot something that'll hook you for life, try Skeet. I favor Browning Citori's Skeet Grade but that's jsut my pick. When you start crushing 'em with a 12 ga, try a 28 and then 410. Happy clay busting!

BORIStheBLADE
12-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I used to go trap shooting till I tried skeet. I love shooting clays. I used to go skeet shooting every weekend at Lake Merced till I moved to SJ.
If you like trap you need to try skeet. Its not as easy as trap though.

Like the other guys said, you should try sporting clays. Sporting clays is the golf of clay shooting and it is not easy, but tons of fun. Golf cart with a cigar and shotgun is tons of fun. The stations with the rabbit is the best. You will need to add about 8" to your barrel and get some chokes though. :D

Heres a place you can do all that.

http://coyoteclays.com/

CBI_2
12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Went for the first time last month with TripleF, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Awesome time. We are going again with a few others the Saturday after Christmas. My nephew, TripleF's Step-son who is going back to Iraq for the 4th time next month, will be with us also. Can't wait.

dccraft
12-24-2008, 06:55 AM
I just love trap shooting. I actually like it more than skeet. It can be very humbling.

kdog
12-24-2008, 12:45 PM
definately try it with a remington 1100 28 gauge. Gotta get some chokes though

Sailchaser
12-24-2008, 12:54 PM
32" or 34 ich barrel is what I use. The sport is another slope that can get out of control real quickly. Pm me if you got any ?'s

hoax
12-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Next month when I go again I'll be dragging along Mean Darrell and BORIStheBLADE. Should be fun.

This time I'll bring a camera.

JohnnyFlake
12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I seriously can not believe I waited this long to go trap shooting. Two friends and I whom had also never been trap shooting all decided to hit the range and give it a try. I brought my Mossberg pump with a 20 inch barrel that we all shared. Probably not the most ideal firearm but it worked well enough for us. We all absolutely loved it and we are going back next month with a whole lot more ammo and clays.

Anyone else trap shoot? Any suggestions for someone new to the sport?

Was this an actual club, with a properly designed trap field, or was this just a make-shift fun trap shoot set up? I am asking, because I have never been to a club where you have to bring your own clays.

I have shot both skeet and trap for many years. I was a member of the Lincoln Park Skeet & Trap Club, in Chicago for about 15 years, back in the late 70s & all thru the 80s. I really love them both, IMHO trap is far more difficult than skeet. Skeet is shot from a specific distance from the houses, in a circular pattern and it never changes. The lines of flight of the clays ,from both houses never changes either. Once you understand all of that, it becomes very easy to score in the 90s. However, it is difficult to score 100! I cannot even recall how many times I scored a 99, after missing the first clay out! The first clay out, was my nemesis.

Trap is much more difficult, as you are shooting from a minimum of 16 yards behind the trap house, to a maximum of 27 yards behind the trap house, also in a circular pattern, and the clay can come out of the trap house, from any angle of between 110 degrees to 170 degrees.

I always used a Remington 1100, one with a trap stock and a 30" full choke barrel (for trap), and the other, with a skeet stock and a 26" open-modified barrel.

If you were using a 20" barrel, as you stated, and were shooting from the proper positions, a minimum of 16 yards behind the trap house or release, I am very surprised that you guys hit anything. If and when you did, it must have been exciting!

hoax
12-24-2008, 05:01 PM
This was at a rifle and pistol range. They do have a small Skeet area and about 10 manual trap thrower machine things. You pay $15 to get in for the day. The Skeet costs more money to use but you can use the manual trap machines as much as you want. You bring your own clays or you can buy it there, box of 135 for $16.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/

kgoings
12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Do you have to have a shotgun to do this or can you rent? Sounds fun.

JohnnyFlake
12-24-2008, 06:23 PM
This was at a rifle and pistol range. They do have a small Skeet area and about 10 manual trap thrower machine things. You pay $15 to get in for the day. The Skeet costs more money to use but you can use the manual trap machines as much as you want. You bring your own clays or you can buy it there, box of 135 for $16.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/

Now I understand. I was confused when I was thinking you were shooting trap on a regulation trap field.

It looks like a nice place. Fun shooting is the way to go! It's less expensive and it's fun!!! Shooting skeet and/or trap according to Hoyle, can be expensive, and very frustrating. Of course it gets to be fun, when you get good at it!

TripleF
12-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Went for the first time last month with TripleF, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Awesome time. We are going again with a few others the Saturday after Christmas. My nephew, TripleF's Step-son who is going back to Iraq for the 4th time next month, will be with us also. Can't wait.

That's it in a nut shell.

Hadn't shot a shotgun since 1981.....and I'm with you bro....Where has shooting been all my life.

Can't wait til this coming Saturday. :D

Sorry, don't have any tips for the newbie, cuz I'm more newbie-er.