PDA

View Full Version : Question about lounges!

MagicDrop
10-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I was wondering when you go to a lounge do you buy your cigars there and then or do you bring stuff from home? I mean I want to support the retailer but I like when my cigars sits in my Humidor for 2-3 months rather then buying in store and smoking!
If bringing from home should I only bring sticks I know I have bought there and not ones I got on a great deal somewhere else?

Ogre
10-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I will bring something from home, but will buy something and put in humidor.

MagicDrop
10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Ah that's a good compromise I didn't even think to buy but smoke other lol

SmokeyJoe
10-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm with Larry. I ALWAYS buy something at a lounge out of respect for the opportunity to smoke. I may smoke what I bring in with me, but I try to support places that accommodate cigar smoking. Just my :2

Gabe215
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I usually buy the cheapest cigar they have and leave it in the counter and tell the guy working the register to give it to someone and I'll smoke what I beought :2

The Poet
10-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I usually buy the cheapest cigar they have and leave it in the counter and tell the guy working the register to give it to someone and I'll smoke what I beought :2

And I usually follow Gabe around and smoke his discards. ;)

icehog3
10-09-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm with Larry. I ALWAYS buy something at a lounge out of respect for the opportunity to smoke. I may smoke what I bring in with me, but I try to support places that accommodate cigar smoking. Just my :2

x100

They are a business, not there to support my indoor smoking desires. I buy as many cigars as I am going to smoke from my own stash, and either save the purchased ones for later, or gift them out...often to our Troops. :)

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
10-09-2014, 10:20 PM
If it's a cigar retailer (B&M) with a smoking lounge then I always try to buy something there. I think it's ok to smoke a cigar you brought from home, but you should buy a cigar from the shop too. I will also usually buy a pop or something to have with my cigar.

If it's a "cigar bar" that lets you smoke and sells food/drinks then I think it's ok to buy food/drinks from them and bring your own cigars.

One of the reason's that frequent a particular B&M's lounge is because they keep their cigars at good humidity and I am always happy to grab one from their humidor and light it right up.

icehog3
10-09-2014, 10:33 PM
If it's a cigar retailer (B&M) with a smoking lounge then I always try to buy something there. I think it's ok to smoke a cigar you brought from home, but you should buy a cigar from the shop too. I will also usually buy a pop or something to have with my cigar.

If it's a "cigar bar" that lets you smoke and sells food/drinks then I think it's ok to buy food/drinks from them and bring your own cigars.

One of the reason's that frequent a particular B&M's lounge is because they keep their cigars at good humidity and I am always happy to grab one from their humidor and light it right up.

Good point, Jason. We don't have any of those in Illinois, but I do things similarly in other states that have them.

Steve
10-10-2014, 06:08 AM
I will bring something from home, but will buy something and put in humidor.

x2

Porch Dweller
10-10-2014, 06:36 AM

:tpd:

czerbe
10-10-2014, 06:40 AM
I have taken my own cigars to a B&M but I always buy a few while there. My Local has no problem with people bringing in smokes to his shop as long as you drop a little coin there as well, be it at the bar or in his Humidor. Best thing to do is ask shop owner how he feels about it.

STEVE S
10-10-2014, 07:12 AM
I am a member at my local B&M, so I have a locker full of cigars that I have purchased at cigar events. But I will still sometimes purchase a cigar out of the humidor, something that I don't have a box of.

MagicDrop
10-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. I plan on supporting the business and the lounge is nice but he doesn't carry my favorite cigars so my plan was to smoke mine and buy from him things I either know friends like or give out to people when they come over. Just wasn't sure if it was unacceptable to smoke something he doesn't carry. I am sure if I'm there 2-3 times a week dropping money in his shop he will order some as he seems like a cool guy from the limited meetings I have had with him (buying my humi and stuff for it) but I don't want to ask him to buy my cigars before he sees me coming in.

Dave128
10-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I bring at least one from home, but end up smoking a couple more that I buy there. More often than not, I also buy a few to bring home.

10-10-2014, 09:44 AM

This! I always buy a cigar or two, three, whatever. But, I smoke what I want. I've seen signs stating "No outside cigars" but I've never been asked not to smoke my own cigars, likely because I bought something. If I was asked not to smoke my own cigars after I bought something, I would make my purchase known and if they persisted I would likely not come back.

Also, for cigar bars, keep in mind your local ordinances. In Michigan a cigar bar must have at least 10% of their revenue come from the sale of cigars or renting lockers in order to keep their "grandfathered" permit. There are also a finite number of those permits which can be transferred but are no longer issued new. For this reason I ALWAYS buy cigars at the cigar bar, to help ensure it'll be there when I return.

mosesbotbol
10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
My first choice is bringing my own cigars, but I'll abide by whatever the lounge's policies are.

cigarmarine
10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
yea keep the lounge going buy something take it home, then smoke what you brought. or buy a drink if they sell it

AdamJoshua
10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I usually buy 2 sticks, smoke something I brought with me and stash the 2 sticks at home or gift them out to friends that like NCs. Since I am pretty friendly with the guys at the local B&M I'll usually bring them in a CC as well even if it's a Boli PC or something, just as a gift. They usually take care of me there a free drink now and then, etc., so doesn't hurt to return the kindness.

mhailey
10-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Some states, mine included, only allow the designation of "cigar bar" which allows indoor smoking, if X% of their income is derived from tobacco sales. I always purchase a stick when at a facility that allows indoor smoking. However, at a local B&M, if I purchase a box or a bunch of cigars I will bring those back and smoke those, but only when they were purchased at that B&M. If I have two in one setting then I will smoke one that I brought.

MagicDrop
10-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Stopped by my B&M and talked to the guys hanging out seems they have no problem with you bringing your own as long as your also putting some money into the business.
I picked up some Petels had one while there brought the rest home.
From here on out I will buy some and bring my own. Probably will work out better for the store since I will be bringing a $13 cigar but buy 2/3 to gift each time!

badbriar
10-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Most often, if I go inside a cigar bar, I buy and smoke the cigars from there. If I'm outside, I'll buy at least one there and smoke that along with a favorite from home. We have a lot of cigar friendly pubs here, so bringing sticks from home is no problem. A favorite place in Orlando has comedy night every other Saturday. They love when 'The Cigar Guys' come out and banter with the half-azzed comics! :tu

Don Fernando
10-11-2014, 05:04 AM
I am a member at my local B&M, so I have a locker full of cigars that I have purchased at cigar events. But I will still sometimes purchase a cigar out of the humidor, something that I don't have a box of.

'A locker'? You're pants are on fire ;)