PDA

View Full Version : Saison by Oliva

Flynnster
10-08-2014, 04:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EcuLzkil.jpg?1

Construction
-Not beautiful cigar, lots of veins, a toothy wrapper, but it isn’t a delicate cigar. Nice and sturdy. The cap is especially sloppy, looks like a double cap.
Pre Light Draw
-Very smooth straight tobacco flavor, hint of pepper
First Light
-Smooth pepper, just a hint of spice for a short time. Very thick smoke
First Third (paired with diet coke lime)
-Tons of smoke, hay flavors (slightly sweet, but not in a sugary way), Smoke off the foot is almost constant, very straight burn. The first ash fell off after about a quarter. Sweetness picks up a bit, and the pepper from inital light is almost all the way gone.
Second Third
-Flavors getting a bit harsh, but after a purge a nuttiness comes through. The sweetness that was around has been replaced with the nuttiness. There was a few minutes where the draw was suddenly extremely loose. Very strange. In this third it must be smoked slow or it goes very harsh, very quick, but you’re rewarded with a sweet nutty flavor if you are careful.
Final Third
-Smoke production is excellent, ramped up on this third. Able to smoke a bit hotter/faster now without losing the flavors. Flavors coming on stronger here, harshness isn’t building, only the good sweet nuttiness. Ash is still very weak, falls off every quarter inch.
Overall
-Decent Smoke, may get better the longer I leave it in the humi, great flavor when it was there. First third and final third were the best. Which makes it a bummer because you have to sit through a meh middle. But for a $5 stick it wasn’t bad. (I got them a bit lower on Cbid)

Remo
10-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Nice review, thanks!

G G
10-08-2014, 06:31 PM
:tu

spacemonkeyjon
10-08-2014, 07:28 PM
thanks. might need to take one out of the humi tonight

czerbe
10-09-2014, 07:38 AM
I have had this stick and liked it... not loved it..

Flynnster
10-09-2014, 07:51 AM
That's about where I am czerbe. Not something I'll reach for but i'm intrigued to see how they take to some age?

RevSmoke
10-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the review. I hope you don't mind my hoping about here and adding another perspective. Everybody's tastes are different, and I think it is cool that each of us can have different things strike us about particular smokes.

So, I found your thoughts to be a very interesting take. I thought the wrapper was kind of cool, as the veins, while prominent, were lighter than the rest of the wrapper - a very unique effect to the eye. And the double cap seemed fairly well applied (I took a moment here to go look at a couple from the humidor)

I will agree with this cigar initially being flavors of hay, but I also have found cedar, spice, and a very nice sweetness at the beginning. As it develops, I find caramel, cedar, and light spice are the identifiable flavors along with rich tobacco. There is also complexity here that makes this cigar immensely enjoyable. I like the fact that the interplay of some of the flavors I have not been able to put my finger on exactly, is subtle and enjoyable.

It is definitely Nicaraguan, and surely an Oliva product. If anything, it comes off as being a bit reminiscent of a SerieV.

All in all, this is a great smoke. I really enjoy the fact that it is complex, flavors changing up constantly, while remaining in profile. I found these good enough that I ordered a whole box of them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

cigarmarine
10-09-2014, 04:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EcuLzkil.jpg?1

Construction
-Not beautiful cigar, lots of veins, a toothy wrapper, but it isn’t a delicate cigar. Nice and sturdy. The cap is especially sloppy, looks like a double cap.
Pre Light Draw
-Very smooth straight tobacco flavor, hint of pepper
First Light
-Smooth pepper, just a hint of spice for a short time. Very thick smoke
First Third (paired with diet coke lime)
-Tons of smoke, hay flavors (slightly sweet, but not in a sugary way), Smoke off the foot is almost constant, very straight burn. The first ash fell off after about a quarter. Sweetness picks up a bit, and the pepper from inital light is almost all the way gone.
Second Third
-Flavors getting a bit harsh, but after a purge a nuttiness comes through. The sweetness that was around has been replaced with the nuttiness. There was a few minutes where the draw was suddenly extremely loose. Very strange. In this third it must be smoked slow or it goes very harsh, very quick, but you’re rewarded with a sweet nutty flavor if you are careful.
Final Third
-Smoke production is excellent, ramped up on this third. Able to smoke a bit hotter/faster now without losing the flavors. Flavors coming on stronger here, harshness isn’t building, only the good sweet nuttiness. Ash is still very weak, falls off every quarter inch.
Overall
-Decent Smoke, may get better the longer I leave it in the humi, great flavor when it was there. First third and final third were the best. Which makes it a bummer because you have to sit through a meh middle. But for a $5 stick it wasn’t bad. (I got them a bit lower on Cbid)

ill be looking for this one soon:tu

Flynnster
10-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Nice Rev! It is great to see other views. One question for you, did yours have a real weak ash on it?

RevSmoke
10-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Nice Rev! It is great to see other views. One question for you, did yours have a real weak ash on it?

I have smoked about 10 of these (about 6 before my own box, and 4 since then). Might there have been one with a weak ash? I simply do not remember. I know I couldn't keep a 2+ inch ash, because those I remember. But this did not stick out as one which was a problem because it fell too early.

Peace of the Lord be with you.