PDA

View Full Version : Computer geek questions

G G
09-18-2014, 09:42 AM
I have ADSL at home. Recently I had my modem bridged because of a double NAT issue. I also have a DynDns account because I have a dynamic ip and I use that for my security camera access from outside the network. Once my modem was bridged I could then use remote desktop to remote into the network from away. I see that it's not terribly secure though. That got me thinking and reading on the internet. I see that Asus routers have a VPN server so you can set up VPN to tunnel back to your home network on your iphones and laptops. I would like to do this but the problem is they use PPTP for the VPN and it seems by reading about it isn't secure at all. DD-WRT does have support for openvpn but it seems like it's a hassle to get it set up. Shibby Tomato has support for my router (Linksys E3200) and has openvpn support as well.

What do the computer experts think? I don't really know how to accomplish it. I don't neccesarily need full blown VPN that costs money would just like to be able to tunnel back to the house to use my internet when I'm on pulic wifi and from work.

09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Looks like you can flash your existing router with DD-WRT.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3200

You can download the factory firmware ahead of time to give you the option to revert back. I've used DD-WRT for 10 years now on many different routers. Currently I have it on a MOFI-3500 (DD-WRT native) since my primary internet for my home is on a 4G-LTE "aircard" via VZW. The MOFI allows me to share it throughout my home. I have two other older DD-WRT compatible router/APs acting as repeater-bridges to put desktops on the wireless and extend my range. I believe my MOFI has Dynamic DNS configuration options to help with the process. I admit I've not used Dynamic DNS or OpenVPN but I do have some interest in trying it out as well. I have Dish's Hopper, which has Sling built in for streaming live or recorded content. Since VZW wants $500 for a static (reserved DHCP) IP, I may try out the Dynamic DNS option to give me that ability.

Overall DD-WRT is great compared to the stock firmware so even if you don't use the OpenVPN, you've lost nothing.

G G
09-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks Mike. I have had great service with my dyndns account. It costs me around 20 or 25 bucks a year. I usually buy two years at a time since you get a discount that way. DD-WRT is good, but the more I look and read the more I am scared of the protocol PTPP for VPN and although I could probably figure out the openvpn on the desktop it seems to be a pain to configure. I don't really NEED the vpn, it just seems like it would be good to be able to use my home network when at work and when using public wifis. I might just wait until there is a better option.

G G
09-20-2014, 01:51 PM
I have been researching this further and see that here are tons of VPN firewalls that even though are for business might work for my situation. Can't do sonic wall, because of the cost of subscriptions. I would need to be able to use it with two laptops and two iphones when outside my home network. I see that there are netgear like this with or without wireless: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-ProSafe-FVS318N-100NAS-8-Port-Gigabit-Wireless-N-Router-VPN-Firewall-/251650451653?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item3a978928c5

Cisco has some too. Would it be possible to use one of these wired Netgear routers for the router and VPB and then just use my ubiquiti AP for wireless? How hard would it be to set up something like this with my limited knowledge? I could probably figure it out as long as it doesn't require command line programming. Anyone have any experience with this?

09-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I wish I could help with that design Greg, but it's a bit out of my realm. I have dinked around with my old WRT54G's (on DD-WRT) quite a bit but they are ancient and limited by comparison. I don't have a ton of commercial grade Wi-Fi hands on experience either but my company's wireless network is old and needs replaced badly. I've been trying to sell that upgrade for some time now.

G G
09-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Thanks Mike. There doesn't appear to be an answer yet. I will keep looking.

8zeros
09-22-2014, 08:44 AM
I do something like this (http://www.tonido.com/blog/index.php/2009/03/31/create-your-own-virtual-private-network-for-ssh-with-putty/).
Maybe that's something you could use.

G G
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
I do something like this (http://www.tonido.com/blog/index.php/2009/03/31/create-your-own-virtual-private-network-for-ssh-with-putty/).
Maybe that's something you could use.

Very interesting and just might be the answer, thanks.